Cinemax series "Quarry"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I caught the first episode of this a few days ago. Pretty heavy, not much humor and probably doesn't leave room for it. It's about a Vietnam veteran returning home to Memphis in 1972. He finds job prospects lacking, and ends up part of the criminal underworld. I didn't love it right off the bat, though it is well made and acted, but I won't judge the show on just one episode. Cinemax has been very good with its original series so far (Banshee, The Knick, Strike Back, Outcast), so I'll keep watching. And the first season is only 8 episodes, so there hopefully won't be much in the way of filler. Anyone else catch this or have any thoughts?

[​IMG]

Gavinyl and Chris from Chicago like this.
  2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I saw this too. Slow start but it definitely improved thru the last hour. I will continue to watch.

3. porpoise mouth

porpoise mouth Well-Known Member

I'm loving it. Never found it slow moving at all. The acting is great, especially the leading man, Logan Marshall-Green. The look of the show has an authentic 1972 feel to it. Currently my must-see TV since ''The Night Of''. Furthemore the vintage music selection was tasteful, not your typical hits of the era. Now when was the last time did anyone hear Van Morrison's ''Tupelo Honey'' played on a TV show or film?

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Watched it last night, not bad! While I won't watch EVERY new show HBO and Showtime come up with, I find that I DO give everything on Starz and Cinemax a shot. Cinemax rarely disappoints.

5. I enjoyed it.

6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Missed the show last week so I watched 2 episodes tonight. All I can say is....WOW! It's like this primal back country noir- ish period piece. I really found it to be outstanding in just about every way! Every actor is on point but the gay gun- dealer's (used to enjoy his work in Justified) Mom was an absolute pissa! This has just become must- see TV for me!

7. agentalbert

Oh, I loved Dewey Crowe on "Justified" so much. That guy was hilarious. I'm not enjoying this character as much, but he's not supposed to as comedic, obviously.

I noticed they made sure to get Staxx Records in the background of a scene (in episode 2). Haven't seen #3 yet.

8. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Yeah but they used the Sundazed version of Otis Blue in episode 1 and that wasn't pressed by them until 2001. The Watts Staxx being on the movie marquee was a nice touch but that movie didn't come out until 1973. The concert itself was in 1972. The wrestling ticket that broker left for Mac was dated August 1972 . Other than that I'm enjoying the series so far droopy mustaches notwithstanding. Hated them then they look even stupider now.

mick_sh likes this.
  9. agentalbert

This latest episode "Mouthful Of Splinters" was great. Best of the three so far. I only wish it had gone on longer as it seemed to end abruptly. I was expecting some closure with the one-legged man and the episode to end with the scene that opened the series. I still think that's where its going, but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer.

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Did anyone catch the 'Inside the Episode' clip after the show? Great insight into the character development. They interviewed the girl who plays his wife. She's a foreigner with a lovely accent and although she's a pretty girl on the show, in reality she's a knockout!!;)

JackBnimble likes this.
  11. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Best new show of 2016 as far as I am concerned.

JackBnimble and Rufus McDufus like this.
  12. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

This show is a slow boil. Building at a steady pace. I like the lead actor. Looking forward to seeing his this plays out

13. agentalbert

Wow, great episode (#7) last night! Full of menace throughout. I was a little down on the show after last week and starting to think not enough was happening. Can't believe next week is the season finale already, but 8 episodes goes quick. I like how the show is steadily expanding the cast of characters in the universe. And the music is also very good.

They seemed to have moved on from Joni's infidelity pretty quick. Mac is more forgiving than I think I could be. I can understand how his decision to go back to Nam would have seemed like him not valuing him/them enough to her and accept that she strayed when he was gone. But she kept it up even after he was back. If "The Broker" hadn't sent him on the mission specifically to discover what she was doing, would she still be doing it? She certainly didn't seem to be ending it and carrying one right there in their home? That's not so forgivable, imo But the show wants to treat it as they are both culplable, "even steven" and gave him his side one nighter.

14. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

For those who might not be aware, these are based (loosely, I think) on the Max Allan Collins series of Quarry novels, some of which have been published by neo-pulp noir publisher Hard Case Crime.

15. tman53

Great show, nice season finale. I hope it is back for a second.

16. agentalbert

Yeah, that was really good. The opening sequence at the arcade/amusement park and the Viet Nam sequence were both very well done. I'm looking forward to the next season.

17. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Incredible show. Very powerful last episode.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I just started watching this about a week ago. Due to time constraints (and my crappy life) I've only got through two episodes. That said, I really like the vibe and feel of this show. Are there some fundamental problems? Absolutely, but this show has me hooked. Only a major misstep could throw me off at this point.

A+

19. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

DVR'd the whole series and just started watching first episode. Really good.

But what KILLS me is that in crucial part of first episode, set in 1972, they focus in on Otis Redding "Otis Blue" spinning on the turntable - and it's the Sundazed reissue!!
    Cmon man, you're killing me!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Gavinyl likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Somebody else mentioned that gaff in this thread up above. I didn't notice it, but I can see how that could grate on some people to make that mistake.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

22. tman53

That really stinks.

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

soo.... this is NOT about The Quarrymen?

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Ya gotta wonder, if the show was a success by any measure of parameter, as mentioned in the article, what's the problem!? Why wouldn't Cinemax keep it going, or Netflix?

25. agentalbert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.