Poll--The Weakest Link: Pat Benatar BEST SHOTS, Round 5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

"We Belong" was treated like a misfit, and "Hell Is For Children" used some adult language as it left the stage.

One at a time from here out.

Discussion question: What is the extent of your Pat Benatar collection?

T7 We Belong
    T7 Hell Is For Children
    T9 Invincible
    T9 We Live For Love
    T11 One Love
    T11 All Fired Up
    T13 Suffer The Little Children/ Hell Is For Children
    T13 Painted Desert
    T13 Outlaw Blues

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Hell is for Children is the first I'll miss surprised that went so early as it was one of her bigger hits. Why the diskike?

Never bought anything by her

Exile On My Street likes this.
  3. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Voted "Love Is A Battlefield." Have all her albums up to this compliation.

:wave:

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Love Is A Battlefield.

DQ: I have Get Nervous on vinyl and Crimes of Passion on cassette.

5. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Uncomfortable with the message in the lyrics? I don't get it either.

:wave:

Exile On My Street likes this.
  6. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Voted for "Hit Me".

I own a random scattering of Pat's albums on CD (no plan to it; if I see them and they're inexpensive, I pick them up. So, for example, I don't currently have Tropico, an album I like, but I do have True Love and Gravity's Rainbow). I also have the excellent All Fired Up: Very Best Of 1994 comp, and the 2005 (LOUD!!!) Greatest Hits.

DesertHermit likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sad for "We Belong". It's among my top three of Pat's all time.

"Love Is A Battlefield" and that stupid shoulder shake dance from the video need to go!

[​IMG]

Thom and DesertHermit like this.
  8. MultiMan

MultiMan Forum Resident

I've got all her regular albums except "Go", but it's on its way from Israel as I type this (was never released in Europe afaik). Bought them all on vinyl first, then imported the first edition CDs from the US in the mid '80s. Only collection I got is Synchronistic Wanderings. Also have a couple of live albums, one bootleg.

Voted "Shadows of the night" as it's a cookie cutter tune to me. Favorite tunes from Get nervous is I'll do it. Actually, I think Get nervous has some very strong second side tunes.

9. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

No dislike from me- I just prefer to hear it live and not the recorded version that appears on Crimes of Passion. Also, 'Hell Is For Children' was never released as a single, but it was the B-side to 'Love Is A Battlefield' in its live format in 1983. It was therefore never a "hit" but more of a fan favourite.

ashlee5 likes this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

To me her hits were the tunes played in regular rotation on MTV

11. DesertHermit

I voted for 'Hit Me...' as I have grown tired of it over the years.

I have been collecting Pat Benatar releases since I was a little kid. I have all official albums on original vinyl and CD with the exceptions being Gravity's Rainbow, Innamorata, and Go which I only have on CD. I also have all officially released 7" singles and 12" singles and a variety of CD singles from about 1988 onwards. I own the original 'Benatar Live' VHS which was given to me as a gift in 1984 and the DVD version which drops a song from the concert, the Choice Cuts DVD video collection, the Summer Vacation Live DVD from 2001 and the 35th anniversary tour DVD/CD from last year. Oh, I also have all official live releases on CD- I think there are four of them, all from early in her career and four or five picture discs on vinyl. I have also picked up the Best Shots compilation (both the UK and US versions), All Fired Up 2 disc compilation, 2005's Greatest Hits, Ultimate Collection from 2009, a French 2 disc one called The Very Best of..., a German single disc one called Heartbreaker- 16 classic performances and a single disc European one called The Very Best Of Volume 1. Oh, and the anthology from 1999: Synchronistic Wanderings.

I'm somewhat of a fan...:tiphat:

ashlee5 and Thom like this.
  12. DesertHermit

Did 'Hell Is For Children' get regular MTV play? I didn't even know there was a video for it.

13. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I don't dislike it either, but the competition was too tough. I've already had three of my absolute favourite Pat songs voted out: "We Belong", "Invincible" and "We Live For Love". :(

DesertHermit likes this.
  14. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Choreographed by "Thriller" choreographer Michael Peters, no less. You can tell too. It's very "Thriller"-esque, the problem being that Pat, alas, is rhythmically no Michael Jackson.

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Maybe I'm wrong, it was a long tine ago. I heard it a lot somewhere never having her records and most of my exposure to her was from MTV.

DesertHermit likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Promises In The Dark.

I have In The Heat Of The Night, Crimes Of Passion, Get Nervous, Precious Time, Tropico and Seven The Hard Way on CD. I had LPs of Tropico, GN and COP at one time too.

DesertHermit likes this.
  17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Shadows Of The Night

johnny q likes this.
  18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Personally I feel "Hell Is For Children" is her best song, regardless whether it was a hit or not. But if we want to get technical it was a huge radio hit and "Best Shots" is a best of, not necessarily a greatest hits collection so its inclusion here is justified, IMO. Just my .02

The only Benatar I own or need is "All Fired Up" so what do I know? :laugh:

For this round I've got to aim for "Shadows of the Night". It's....ok...but the weakest here.

DesertHermit likes this.
  19. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Voted against 'Love Is a Battlefield'

DQ - All I have is:

[​IMG]

20. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Promises. Good song but they're all good songs now.

DQ: this and a 2-CD compilation. Also picked up the live album on used vinyl a couple years back.

21. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Worst Song? Best Shot.

Nothing.

22. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

Heartbreaker to go. I can't believe Hell is For Children is gone.

I own every album through Seven The Hard Way.

Whirl-Fred likes this.
  23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I chose "Hit Me with Your Best Shot," as radio overplays that song to the exclusion of almost everything else in her catalog.

I think I have most, if not all, of Pat's 1980s output, both LPs and 45s. Many of the hit mixes are superior to the album mixes - "We Live for Love," "We Belong" and even "Best Shot" are among them. I also have scattered material from the 1990s on 45s, and I have "Christmas in America" from 2001 on a compilation CD.

DesertHermit likes this.
  24. hammer99

hammer99 Forum Resident

Always more of a jiggle dance to me, I like it.

25. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Shadows Of The Night

Question: I have her book and didn't read it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.