$100K Sound Systems ???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+1 When people ask how much my system costs, I try to avoid answering. It sounds like a lot, but spread over 10-15 years, not really. I have a budget and save X per month for upgrades, so that whenever I think I need to upgrade something, I already have most of the money saved.

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'd do it in a cocain heartbeat. Give me the cash and I'll prove it.

SirMarc, Manimal and Bananas&blow like this.
  3. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Asking how much someones anything costs is tacky as all hell

4. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

It depends. I heard a $100,000 system at a dealer and I thought that my $20,000 system cobbled together over the years was superior. It was proof that price has no bearing on quality.

5. SpiritMachine

SpiritMachine Active Member

And price has no bearing on your own tastes. I heard the B&W 803s with a top tier VPI table and huge mono blocks and was very unimpressed as was my wife. Detailed and fast?...yes. But just bland.

6. james

james Summon The Queen

I think the total retail price of my entire stereo is under 10k and I already feel a bit foolish for it. I enjoy hi-fi, the process, the gear, etc....but when I'm being honest with myself, I enjoyed music just as much when my rig were far more modest.

The most valuable component in a stereo is FREE TIME

ggjjr, Bluzuner, Richard_M and 14 others like this.
  7. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

My neighbors already complain about my modest system. But I guess if I had that kind of money, I'd have a castle with lots of land, surrounded by a moat with alligators.

8. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I wouldn't. I would buy B&W 801's, A mac integrated amp, the MT-10 TT and an oppo 105D and never need anything else. Not sure what that adds up to, but it sure isn't 100k. And I would never be wanting for anything as long as I can stare at the blue meters while the music plays.

I agree with those who talk about acquiring the system slowly. Most people don't wake up with a 100k system. It wouldn't be as fun anyways. It's more fun to build it slowly over time.

Well, I could spend an awful lot on the vinyls but not more than say 20k.

JJ Cahill and Manimal like this.
  10. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

Frankly it bums me out anyone feels obligated to justify their 100K stereo. Power to 'em. Some people collect CARS. I know who I'd rather hang out with.

Jtycho likes this.
  11. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

100k$ for THE WHOLE system? You are talking about mid-fi, my dear. :cool:

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My dream speakers alone cost 30K . Klipsch Palladium P39F

[​IMG]
    Not that I could squeeze them in my living room, mind you.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It's proof that system setup, matching, and the room have a bearing on quality. Some people take years perfecting rooms matching and setup. That's much different from a dealer that rolls a couple or speakers and some amps into a room for you to listen.

14. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Nope. Happy with what I got, kind of like this morning on the way to work when I pulled up next to a guy in a gorgeous new Ferrari. I was in my 2008 Mini convertible and would not trade with him. I admire the heck out of engineers, designers, craftspersons, and others who conceive of and create amazing things, but no matter how cool they are I don't necessarily want them. But I would love a little house overlooking Cannon Beach or Neskowin!

Manimal and bhazen like this.
  15. screener

screener Forum Resident

If I spent a $100,000 on myself then I'm definitely spending another couple hundred thousand on my pretty women. Now I'm up to 300k.

Old Zorki II, Pythonman, trd and 2 others like this.
  16. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I heartily agree the point of diminishing returns kicks in way below six digits. My system is mid four digits, and although I will admit I have heard pricier systems that had distinguishing features I'd be hard pressed to say I really liked any of them appreciably better.

izgoblin and Brother_Rael like this.
  17. timind

timind phorum rezident

I stopped reading Stereophile and the like years ago so I don't really have any equipment in mind. I love my system the way it is, but if I had a spare $100k, I would enjoy the hunt for a pair of super expensive monitors.

bhazen likes this.
  18. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

All of them.

izgoblin and Bananas&blow like this.
  19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

When I see this discussion I think of the Uncle Sam character in the animated lead in to the Grateful Dead movie-fried out of his mind on LSD and REALLY grooving to his $5 radio. :goodie:

trd, Tim Irvine and jimbutsu like this.
  20. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Bingo! Buddy of mine has the same type system. 803s if memory serves and HUGE Krell amps, Audio Research pre-amp........ The attack is phenomenal as are most female vocals but there's not a lot of warmth to it. Nice room too, so that's not it.

21. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

If I was making $50,000 a year with wife and kids ,no.If I got a windfall or lottery money I would spend as much as it took for perfection(to my ears) 100K or 1000K.

22. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

Price does not guarantee great sound - been there, done that.

I've had direct experience with Japanese-designed $350k SET monoblocks.
    I've had direct experience with French-designed solid state $7k stereo and $20k stereo/$40k monoblocks.

I easily preferred the French solid state including the more vivid tonality as well as the precision, control & PRAT and construction quality.

The core attribute is always the design. Always.

timind and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. G E

G E Senior Member

I have endeavored over the decades to create ever better sound systems. It is amazing what can be accomplished via used market, close outs and being in the right place at the right time for a sale. there is not one item in my system I paid full list price.

Except NOS tubes. I have paid silly money for ones that originally cost a few dollars in 1950.

Tullman and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

The first thing that I would do is choose the speaker system that provides the sound I like in the designated listening area. The next move would be auditioning the driving electronics by first checking the speaker manufacturer recommendations. I would also want to audition some distinctly different designs that I respect and like such as McIntosh and Pass Labs.

I guess the front end cost would depend upon the type of sources that perform at the maximum level providing the desired quality with your chosen speakers and amplification.

The above is roughly how I would approach the building of a new system from the ground up which is something that I might be doing in the near future.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, and not just because I get my systems free. If that went away I would still love my old system: McIntosh MC30s ($1500.00), Tannoy Lancaster 15's ($50.00) McIntosh MX-110Z ($900.00) Thorens TD-160 ($200.00), Sony 707 CD ($500.00).

Very musical and I would be happy with it. I also have Marantz stuff (7c, 8b, 10b) and can alternate it with the Mac stuff.

I'd be happy.. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of them there millionaires, bucko, and I could buy anything I wanted, but I truly like my vintage stuff. Same with cars, I could buy exotics but I am happy with more modest wheels..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.