You can only get one TV channel. Which do you pick?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Antenna or Me-TV

Grand_Ennui and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

3. 905

905 Senior Member

PBS

4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I love Velocity, but they have too many shows that rely on generic, third-tier reality-show scripting with unlikeable protagonists that no amount of cool cars can make up for. That said, the better shows rise above that limitation, and the channel's had a permanent spot in my rotation of must-watch channels just for Chasing Classic Cars, Wheeler Dealers, Legendary Motorcar, and the same-day coverage of the Isle of Man races during TT season. I was a big fan of What's in the Barn as well, but it was either inexplicably cancelled or not renewed as there haven't been any new episodes since 2014.

5. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Another vote for HBO. The station of The Sopranos, The Wire, Game Of Thrones, Deadwood, Boredwalk Empire, Six Feet Under, True Detective, True Blood, Curb Yer Enthusiasm, Veep, Band Of Brothers, The Pacific, The Comeback, Getting On, John Adams, etc., plus excellent original sports documentaries, and a crapbox full of movies make this a very easy no brainer, for my ownself of course.

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

NBCSN for NHL & EPL & Dan Patrick Sports Show & Men in Blazers EPL Highlites/Weekly Recap with their comedy.

FX for some of the best tv series the past 15 years.

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

NFL RedZone

8. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I can agree with that. I prefer the shows with a more informative bent over, say "Misfit Garage" or "Street Outlaws", and the constant arbitrary deadlines ("oh crap something went wrong are we gonna finish on time?") get old pretty fast.

One show that improved somewhat since they jettisoned much of the "reality" element is "Graveyard Cars" (though the owner Mark can still be off-putting at times).

Also enjoy the car auction coverage, though I preferred Mecum (now on NBC Sports) to Barrett Jackson.

Velocity pretty much filled the void left by the old Speedvision (before it became Speed, then Fox Sports 1).

Dave Garrett likes this.
  9. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

HGTV, my girlfriend is a "House Hunters" junkie, if I know what's best for me, I would have to go with this one :)

10. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Others before me have said it, TCM

11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Luckily don't have to make that choice. Lived with 4 channel's far too long, I'll go with today's options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.