Fisher x-202 b transformer meltdown

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rickenboou, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickenboou

Rickenboou New Member Thread Starter

I recently purchased the fisher x-202 b integrated amp and began cleaning the chassis. Needless to say when i opened the bottom I found this.

[​IMG]

Any idea on what may have caused the issue?

2. Rickenboou

3. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Probably a capacitor failure that led to over voltage or overheating of the transformer, but hard to say from a low res jpeg image. A tech would need to get in there and investigate more. There aren't many options for fixing a failed transformer. You either find another one or you get it rewound. Finding another is likely your best option, but that generally means finding a whole other unit.

I'm assuming this is a non-working unit and you bought it as such.

4. Rickenboou

Im bringing it to my tech guy today, but since I only paid $75 for it, it is worth it

5. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

At least it was cheap. I love those old Fishers. Any idea as to what speakers you plan to use with it? You'll have 40wpc worth of tasty tube power to dish out.

6. Rickenboou

Well right now I'm running advent 1s with my 400

7. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

I assume we are looking at the gunk on the bottom of the metal case of the right transformer. Is that correct? From the picture the gunk looks to be on the surface of the steel and the steel under the gunk is still totally intact. Have you checked?

The metal cover you took off the bottom of the Fisher is there by chance the same gunk on it that would be placed in in position of the bottom of the other transformer? If so could the gunk have been to control a vibration noise because the bottom cover was touching the bottom of the two transformers?

I would think if the right transformer is in deed fried you would see evidence of black carbon/smoke stain on the insulated wires that exit the transformer. Any evidence of that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.