Before The Dawn With Kate Bush To Get Digital Audio,CD, & LP Release In December

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Pretty much anything by Within Temptation up to their Black Symphony live album.

2. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Omar Hakim on that track? Killer! A drum clinic which Kate let him unleash. Powerful. Question is now what format.

dvcarrick, Jimbino and AnalogJ like this.
  3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i too was on the fence about buying this but that is a pretty great version (albeit with less replay value than the studio track).

imarcq likes this.
  4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Anybody worked out which night this is from yet?

5. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Forum Resident

My understanding is that it's the best 'take' of each song; a collage of performances in a way - it's not one single night.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yes,I am aware of that, but would expect a majority of tracks when they were on top form to come from a smallish number of nights, assuming all were recorded to the same standard.

7. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I do wonder if considering it's taken the best part of two years to mix if this album is some sort of Frankenstein Before The Dawn with elements from different nights stitched together to create the best track possible. Vocals from one night matched with drums from another etc

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I don't think we know that she has worked for two years on it. She may have taken a year off or something after the shows, even started another project, she is a mystery.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I really doubt that she would have taken instrumental tracks from different dates in the same song - the band was tight, but no human is that tight. She might have used segments from different dates, this verse from one date, that chorus from another.

GoodVibrations47 likes this.
  10. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

I'm almost certain that King of the Mountain was the performance from the final night, 1st October.

11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I hope not.

Interesting, thanks

12. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Based on what? Do you have inside info? There is no way you can tell that from a radio broadcast ...

13. Dr.O'Boogie

I have unofficial fan recordings of most of the performances gathered from various public sources (Including 1st October), so it was a matter of back to back listening . The end of KOTM naturally varied from show to show and the end of this performance is pretty unique "Can't you feel it? Can't you feel it". I can't find any other date where she did it in that style.

Phaneronic, scobb, adm62 and 6 others like this.
  14. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

Thanks for the pointer Dr O'Boogie ...I just took a listen line by line through the Oct 1st boot and official release and its definitely a match.
    The only differences I detected were a nip and tuck of the intro,some percussion taken out altogether in the intro(bongos I think) and perhaps two extremely minor vocal adjustments....but this could be just the boot quality.....one was one the word 'closed' just before the song starts to raise stood out as possibly slightly adjusted....so......
    kudos to Kate for her 99.99-100% LIVE unadjusted vocal performance on this release!!

Fancy it coming from final night out of 22!

Will be really interesting to see (hear) if much of the rest of the album is lifted from same show...must check Prologue too!

Dr.O'Boogie likes this.
  15. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

I just hope when I hear it I'm left with the overall impression of having listened to a live performance and not a studio album created from live elements. :shh:

dvcarrick likes this.
  16. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

I think you're right - but I was just remembering the screaming at the end of Lily was so loud I couldn't hear the "it's in the trees, it's coming" at the beginning of Hounds Of Love - won't it be difficult to remove all that 'atmosphere'?

17. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

From what was mentioned in one of the press releases for the album it looks like The Ninth Wave section will have a "subdued" audience so that will probably sound more like a Director's Cut version than a full on live recording.

Kate Bush - Before The Dawn »

supernaut likes this.
  18. blackholesun

blackholesun peace among worlds

Even though I have ordered both the CD and the LP versions of BTD, I just could not resist and have bought the KOTM track from itunes. Oh... my... God... the sheer power of that performance. All the memories came rushing in, for a moment I felt as if I was magically teleported back to Apollo in late August '14. Thank you Kate.

19. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Dr.O'Boogie and OobuJoobu like this.
  20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

But it is all recorded live (apart from pre-recorded stuff in Ninth Wave) and there was no re-recording afterwards apparently. I would imagine some of the more visual things might be cut slightly. I think it's a live album, with pre-recorded elements that were clearly never live on the night.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Dr.O'Boogie likes this.
  21. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

Peter Erskine said: "he added his contributions to previously recorded backing tracks. On ‘King Of The Mountain’ he “came up a wacky idea. I put on a beat like the Weather Report track, ‘Nubian Sundance’, this double tempo, free-syncopated, aggressive drumbeat. It’s not the easiest thing to play, and then I added a half-time Ringo-style beat as a counter point. When Del mixed it I said it sounded like [US drummer and member of Presley’s TCB Band] Ron Tutt with Elvis, and she gave me a startled look: ‘Of course, that’s what the song is about - Elvis!’” Erskine hadn’t picked up on the lyrics nor Bush’s idiosyncratic Elvis impersonation. “I had no idea,” he laughs. “Her tune conveyed this subliminally to me! I’m sure at some point they realised that the drum part I put on was an absolute mess, but the nice thing was that they indulged the idea.”

Yost and Dr.O'Boogie like this.
  22. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I do think it's a bit of a shame that a few "fans" are totally dismissing the album just because no DVD has been announced.

supernaut, marblesmike and dvcarrick like this.
  23. Dr.O'Boogie

I thought the mix of pre-recorded and live elements was so well done, for instance the synth-guitar riff in Running Up That Hill, It made it instantly identifiable and I fear that the sound of the track would have changed too much if it had been done live. Ditto with the sound effects from the Ninth Wave section, it helped to make it all so familiar even though it was still 'Live', not to mention the practicalities of this approach.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  24. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

Umm... synth-guitar riff pre-recorded... are you absolutely sure?

I was searching out the source of that sound specifically when the song started, and I was fairly certain (OK, I was convinced :laugh:) that one of the guitarists was playing it live - I even turned to my wife and pointed it out as it was happening (I was so impressed by this!! :winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin: - I couldn't really imagine them reproducing the song live, and here they were doing it with a live band)

I could've been mistaken, but...

Next you'll be telling me there's no Santa Claus :(
    :winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin::winkgrin:

25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Exactly, there is so much negativity on these forums, its almost as if people are willing records to be bad or to fail. And as you say, the album isn't released for a few more weeks .

DesertHermit and supernaut like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.