Who are the Dylan and Beatles of rap? Will it ever produce equivalents?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerrvonkramer, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

Jay Z is the James Brown. And Robert Plant is the JB of rock. Meaning the most soulful rock singer.

2. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I guess I understood the core of the question differently; to me it's not: is anyone in hip hop as good as the Beatles - more like, if you apprecitae hip hop and its history, who would you think are to that genre what the Beatles and Dylan were to rock.
    Like, if I were to say Kraftwerk are the Beatles of electronic music, I'm not comparing the two bands, just their arch in the overall history of the type of music they're playing.

wolfram and Wounded Land like this.
  3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

NWA and Public Enemy need a mention then.

5. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

Wake up the Beatles surpassed both of them. Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones also surpassed Presley and Sinatra.

This is not to knock Sinatra or Presley but Revolver for example is clearly a superior to any album Presley or Sinatra did.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Run DMC and Public Enemy.

7. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

Yeah really Kayne is comparable to The Beatles? You just can't make this up.

8. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Well I agree with you, but it's not a fact that those guys were surpassed, and I'm sure that lots of people would rather listen to Strangers In The Night or Suspicious Minds Gimme Shelter or A Day In The Life. It's subjective, in other words (little Sinatra reference there)

9. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Oh come on man, they've been compared to worse. Nearly every artist has been compared to that four headed record breaker

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Dylan is the Dylan of rap.

George P likes this.
  11. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Absolute rubbish! What is with you guys? You happen to think that the entire recording industry started and ended wirh the Beatles. Genuinely feel sorry for you for having such a myopic view!

12. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Revolver does beat out those albums though in my opinion. It was the back end of the crooner stuff, thankfully, and the Beatles were the new latest and greatest thing. Not really Elvis or Sinatra's fault however.

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Here are The Beatles of rap..............
    (Surprised this hasn't been posted yet)

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Answer: Rap is it's own genre with it's own icons to be compared to. Not to other forms of music.

George P and JohnnyQuest like this.
  15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Who is the Wendy Carlos of Grunge?

Juan Matus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.