Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

It was:- [email protected]

with a cc to:- [email protected]

Dear Sirs,

Reference Order #????????

Please cancel this order. I was unaware, until I received this email, that:-

1. I would be obliged to pay import duties amounting to a further 25% of the total cost price, and,

2. That you would "prohibit order modifications and cancellations."

I hope this helps.

The nuclear option is to close down your existing PayPal account before funds can be removed. The hassle of closing a PayPal account and opening a new one linked to a different credit card (for example) must be worth the savings you'll make by not having the box shipped from the U.S.

2. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Thanks for coming back. Actually the first email address you give, which is incidentally the one that PayPal themselves have, does not exist! I will try the other one and the form of words you use gives me some inspiration. I am not sure the 'nuclear option' is possible given that Paypal would presumably still be responsible for meeting outstanding debt and would debit my account anyway or pass the debt on to me in some other way, possibly through legal channels. However I think I will raise a dispute based on the invalid email address etc.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Somewhere in "No Direction Home" I believe this is brought up. From what I understand Dylan was influenced quite a bit by Lawrence Ferlinghetti's style of reciting poetry. The drawn out emphasis in Ferlinghetti reciting his poetry was copped by Dylan to a degree. Listen to this, and I think its pretty apparent:

Lawrence Ferlinghetti - Last Prayer (The Last Waltz) - YouTube »

Lord Buckley, I believe Ive read, was another influence. Plus the beatnik type poets he probably saw on a daily basis here and there. And the over all circus like creativity of anything goes of performers during 1960s New York.

Dylan pushed his singing style to a more nasal pinched sound also. And at the same time a more psychedelic hazy sound. Drugs? Lack of sleep? Exhaustion? <<< probably all three. Plus the previous paragraphs mentioned influences.

But more so a change in style to adapt to his songwriting evolution I believe. It fit the more surreal Blonde On Blonde songs imo. I think thats also why he changed.

Like others state, Im also in the camp that thinks it was no accident his style changed. But it wasnt for no reason. Part of it was the change in writing and needing to change the style of singing to fit the mood of the songs. Part of it was what Dylan does best:

Borrowing from others and making it his own, turning the borrowed into something even better than what it originally was. And amalgamating all the influences he sponges up with his own genius to such a point that we dont even realize its not his unique creation entirely. One of his greatest parlor tricks. And I mean that in the best way. He is as clever a carnie magician as ever lived.

Do I think its worse singing than 65? Well, depends on what you mean by worse. Was 66 as melodic and lyrical sounding in the standard folk sense? No. But is he growing as a singer? Yes. He is becoming creatively unique in his singing style. And Ill always take uniquely inner'esting and having a something to say over more technically correct singing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    lschwart, JRM, Catbirdman and 13 others like this.
  4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

A brilliant and insightful post. Thanks.

highway likes this.
  5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Got my signed copy today -

[​IMG]

6. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

Browsing the reviews in Mojo and Uncut this morning. A few shouts from crowd are quoted, 'Traitor' for example.
    The acoustic set at Bristol is interrupted with an announcement 'Could the owner of a Hillman Imp registration number xxx xxx please move your car or it will be towed away by the Police' :laugh:. A reminder that this tour took place in England 50 years ago....

7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The term "no-brainer" didn't exist then, but what would you do? I'd walk home.

Dayfold likes this.
  8. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Can't remember this on the existing Bristol audience recording. Is it on there???

9. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Just had a quick google of 'no-brainer,' perhaps not as modern as you'd think, first usage in the 50's: A no- brainer - meaning and origin. »

10. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

I don't know, I'll confess I'm not that familiar with the tour as a whole.
    I did wonder if it's possible to track the owner of car down though, as the car reg. is clearly read out apparently ;)

11. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

That was in the 1985 ABC-TV news show "20/20": they made a comparison using that clip and a clip of Dylan singing "Hard Rain" live in 1975. It was a brilliant insight. As network TV goes, it was a surprisingly good story on Dylan.

ted321 likes this.
  12. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

No problem. Interesting that the email address is discontinued. Maybe you could also express concern to PayPal and/or the people who are not responding to you that the agent, Music Today/Delivery Agent (apparently) filed for bankruptcy recently.

Delivery Agent (used to be Music Today) Files for Bankruptcy »

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ah ok, gotcha. Point remains and clarified. Thanks.

14. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

It could just be a marketing ploy. The big "Cutting Edge" box was very limited. This does not appear to be.

15. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Lucky it was not announced during the electric set!

16. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

The driver should've parked in the empty lot where the ladies play Blind Man's Bluff with the keychain.

NumberEight and Dayfold like this.
  17. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

Anyway, is anybody going to even try to resist jumping ahead to certain shows as soon as they get the set?

I am definitely going to listen to the Paris show right away. Then the last show in London. After that, I'll listen through the whole box chronologically.

TyroneSlothrop likes this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Strictly chronological for me. So starting with the audience tapes!

subtr, The Bard and Six Bachelors like this.
  19. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

In disc order for me, no jumping ahead. Everything will be new to me with the exception of the Manchester show.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  20. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Didn't the Rolling Stone article specifically state that this set was not limited? They will release as much as demand dictates.

21. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

It took me almost a year to get through The Cutting Edge set. I can't even get my head around listening to 36 discs. This is the most discs in any box set I've ever bought.

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yes. I'll listen to it in chronlogical order, lousy audience recordings included. I want as much as possible to hear the evolution.

This will be quite manageable compared with the Grateful Dead Europe '72 box...

Heart of Gold likes this.
  23. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Ordinarily when a record company are selling through a new release the pre-sale information usually states the quantity available and rarely do they describe the product with much in the way of hyperbole, that's left to advertising, it's all very much matter of fact.
    The statement regarding dealer limitation was written in bold which is only occasionally done in sales notes regarding major artists, but no indication of the quality available.
    This will be limited but not in the Quantities of the previous copyright extension vinyl releases, not certain that they even made sale note status.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  24. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Thank you so much for finding that out! I wonder how many other unfortunates on this forum have ordered from them? Quite a few I should think!

This situation makes things a lot clearer regarding the lack of communication. However, at least there is a clear cut case now.

25. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Somebody paid £86 for the Scorpio 1966 set on 8 CDs on eBay last week... weird.

voles likes this.