Don Henley Hints At Possible Eagles Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DreamIsOver, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I thought the OP use of the term Don Henley and excellent drummer in the same sentence wasn't accurate. But I'll agree with you, the Eagles as a whole were perfect. :tiphat:

Rfreeman likes this.
  2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The music didn't demand more than any of those players could deliver. The fact that Henley was not reluctant to enlist the support of more capable drummers (Jeff Porcaro, Ian Wallace, Jim Keltner) on his solo albums should tell us something. FWIW, "Life in the Fast Lane" came on Classic Rewind during my ride home from the gym this morning. This exchange inspired me to pay close attention to the drumming on the track. It's not bad...but it's far from great. Really just a rudimentary beat that any moderately skilled drummer could do.

Point is that somebody had to start a debate/argument over a comment from a month ago, which was a response to a comment about Frey's guitar playing being a weak link and my reply was that it was Henley's drumming!

Randoms and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  3. EdinaBob

EdinaBob Forum Resident

Deacon Frey singing "Hotel California" live up-thread: not even close to being any sort of a professional singer.

Bernard hansen and bru87tr like this.
  4. That's why I follow @Say It Right. Cause he does just that, every time.

Say It Right likes this.
  5. Say It Right

It's only a matter of trying to give an honest assessment. Not everybody is going to always agree, but presumably most of the contributors in this thread like the Eagles and the offshoots to at least some extent.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. davers

davers Forum Resident

That was a big takeaway from my first Eagles show in 2010 - Frey was the obvious band leader. And he was very good at it!

Tree of Life likes this.
  7. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Not without Frey. For whatever reason, if you'd go to an Eagles concert the past decade, you got the feeling of oldies doing oldies, despite the perfection. When you go to a McCartney concert, Paul always gives you the impression of presenting something fresh, although his voice isn't what it used to be.

8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Not without Frey, though I could see some kinda concert with maybe Felder, Leadon, Browne and Souther hanging out with them. And maybe Paul Carrack, because he's do this stuff so well.

It would be nice to have a rarities/outtakes box, however...

9. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

"Earlier this year, a reporter at the Montreal Gazette asked Henley if he imagined a future for the Eagles. He paused and then praised Deacon and referenced the idea of playing again with Browne. But he cautioned that “there have been no discussions along those lines, and we’re still going through the healing process — trying to get through all of this.” Later, Billboard magazine referred to this interview with a headline that read: “Eagles could reunite, if Glenn Frey’s son agrees to join the band.”
    “I didn’t realize that Billboard had become a tabloid,” Henley says, still annoyed. “It really pissed me off, frankly, because I hadn’t talked to the kid about it or his mother. So it’s just another lesson in keeping my mouth shut.”

Don Henley says the Eagles are done. It was always Glenn Frey’s band. »

MikaelaArsenault and Britt in VA like this.
  10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just checked that out, wow, I can't believe DH would even consider him singing.

He isn't singing, he is just yelling.

11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I don't think it'll happen but you never know in this world.
    IMO if the Eagles do go out on tour, just bring back Felder, Leadon and Meisner along with the rest of them. It wouldn't be replacing Frey but just augmenting the group and be respectful to Frey's memory.

bru87tr likes this.
  12. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I'm glad I got to see them back in 2008.

13. Say It Right

Respectful to his memory? All 3 of them locked horns with Frey. Felder was fired, and Meissner is neither healthy physically nor psychologically.

14. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

Glenn Frey's Son Is Going To Replace His Dad On Eagles Tour

“There’s going to be an official announcement in a few days, but let’s just do it here,” Henley said. “Glenn’s son Deacon is a very talented young man, and he seems to be up for the task. He’s enthusiastic about it and he’s been working real hard on it, and he’s gonna do it with us. and I think that’s appropriate.”

Henley said that after Frey died in January 2016, he wasn’t sure he wanted to continue touring with the moniker. But playing with Deacon just felt right.

“There’s an old system both in Eastern and Western culture called the guild system, where the father is the master and the son is the apprentice. The trade, the craft, the business is handed down from father to son,” Henley said.

“I think it’s the only appropriate way to carry on. I don’t think I’d do it otherwise. Since it’s Glenn’s blood, it’s his son, I think that’s appropriate. There’ll be one more musician along for the ride too, but I’m not gonna say who that is.”

The shows will take place at Los Angeles’ Dodger Stadium in July and later that month at Citi Field in New York City. Other bands including Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac will take the stage as well.

Henley said as long as people want to hear the band’s songs, he’ll do what he can to keep them satisfied.

“It’s my responsibility to carry on this legacy and to keep these songs alive,” Henley said. “Apparently people still want to hear them. I thought we were done when Glenn passed away and I said as much, but I was in a state of shock at the time. But we have gotten a lot of messages from people all over the world from people who would like to see things continue.”

Glenn Frey's Son Is Going To Replace His Dad On Eagles Tour

Malina likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Well, he said all the right things and took the high road. But anyone who thinks money isn't a factor needs the rose colored glasses shattered.

keyXVII likes this.
  16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

It will probably sound pretty decent.
    And it should, at $1000 per ticket (I'm guessing based on the usual upsurge in Egoes ticket pricing) :laugh:

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Ridiculous. Get Jackson Browne, get J.D. Souther, hell, get Don Felder back. But replacing Frey with his son is just laughable. They need a peer on stage with them, not just someone whose main qualification is his pedigree.

"The guild system." SMDH. More like "nepotism." If Deacon Frey is so great, he can put his own damn band together.

zebop, Fullbug, groundharp and 3 others like this.
  18. Whatever happened to forming off-shoot bands like 'Hillman Souther Furay'?

Go out in varying combinations, then bust out a full on deal and hit everybody's catalog, and then go get some hot cocoa.

4_everyman and dkmonroe like this.
  19. dkmonroe

They can't charge $1000 a ticket for that.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  20. I know, must be thrilling to finally know that the only brand you can carry now is one that doesn't really have much of a way forward as that brand. Seems like they are throwing bait to see if the public wants whatever it is they think they need to add. Does the kid in dad's shoes thing really work?

dkmonroe likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

It isn't about a way forward, it's just about reaping a few more million dollars from the field before it lies fallow. My only question is, will Frey Jr. be making Glenn Frey-level money, or will he be making a fraction of that and Henley taking the lion's share of the profit?

What seems silly to me is that they could easily just perform without Frey and without a Frey-replacement. Henley has his fair share of hits and he could probably sing a couple of Frey's chestnuts himself. But this thing just looks like, can we fool the public into thinking this is still the Eagles?

22. Good points, and I was going to add that I think it's more about money, as most things are anymore. I just didn't want to be the guy to say it.. again:D Oh! and Bernie should be enough to cover a lot of Glenn's stuff I would think.

Hall Cat and dkmonroe like this.
  23. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

If the band doesn't Frey
    You must goodbye

24. I'll say it again.. All of that clique should get together, go out in various, spontaneous combinations, play deep cuts, interspersed with the mind numbing radio hits and blow the doors off with a grand finale short tour with the whole Hee-Haw gang!!!

Call it 'California Condors'
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Desperate Mofo... Why don't you come to your senses?

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  25. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Sammy Hagar is available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.