"Divorce"...new series on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sberger, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Anybody watching? I'm an episode and a half in, and so far I'm kinda enjoying it. Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Haden Church are the leads. I've never been crazy about her, I like him. But she's not bad in this, and he's good. It's not great, but it's entirely watchable so far.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

some absolutely wonderful dialogue form church, so far. he surely has the best lines.

sberger likes this.
  3. sberger

Agree.

4. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Only watched the first ep. Total downer.
    Sara Jessica's best acting is in her gestures & facial expressions when not saying anything.
    No redeeming qualities amongst pretty much any of the characters shown so far.

Probly won't continue watching.

5. sberger

I have no problem watching depressing shows/movies as long as the writing and acting is done well. I think this is more positive in that sense then not. The characters need not have anything redeeming for me as long as it's watchable.

But to each his own.

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I am finding this to be a top notch show that speaks to me, as someone who went through a year long divorce process that started 5 years ago. An effective and gripping depiction of the process.

I do find it odd that it is categorized as a comedy. While there are occasional amusing moments, like those provided by SJP's inept attorney, it is really a fairly serious drama.

Musicman1963 likes this.
  7. sberger

I find Haden Church very funny in this, and have continued to watch and enjoy.

Musicman1963 likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Not bad for a dramedy.

9. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I find it to be hilarious. Normally I'm one to run away from heavy shows like this one (or at least what I thought it was like). Having Tom Scharpling as co-executive producer and sometimes writer was the only reason I started watching. But I think it's a really well written and well crafted black comedy.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

On account of how indistinguishable Francis and Carrie are, I am now calling this show "Ex and the City"

11. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Glad that Talia Balsam finally got a series to be a regular on !

12. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think it is very funny and well written and acted. The soundtrack for each episode is a nicely chosen selection of 1970s rock, which is very enjoyable.

jpelg and DHamilton like this.
  13. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have enjoyed the music which the characters play for enjoyment on the show, such as Yes and Roxy Music. Episodes often end with a really good song. Badfinger was the featured artist at the end of the episode I watched last night.

I liked the scene in which Haden Church explains at length to his teenage daughter that Rick Waksman left Yes because of his frustration over the musical direction of the band with “Tales of Topographic Oceans.”

14. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I circled back to this series a few months back while physically laid-up, and found the second season to be quite well done & enjoyable. Mostly due to THC & the associated writing.

Hot Ptah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.