Depeche Mode on CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taylan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Broken Frame 1989 remastered : Mute 5016025610099 CD : on the cd : 7243 8 41800 2 7 Mute records london ///// made in Holland

1. 100.0 %
    2. 93.4 %
    3. 97.7 %
    4. 93.0 %
    5. 97.7 %
    6. 77.1 %
    7. 97.7 %
    8. 97.7 %
    9. 93.1 %
    10. 94.4 %

c-eling likes this.
  2. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

With regards to A Broken Frame, I only have the first WG (dark blue stripe 846) now and don't recall that album sounding much different to the first UK Mute, although my memory may be letting me down? How do the two differ? IMO, the first WG sounds superb.

Regarding Black Celebration, the first WG CD doesn't have the click and really is a great sounding disc (the later WG 836 might also be click free?). It's my understanding that all UK Mute CD reissues of BC has the click before getting remastered for the first time in 2007. For the different track list/versions and muddy sound, I never enjoyed the U.S. Sire CD.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    tmtomh likes this.
  3. Front 242 Addict

According to Marc 74 The Peak levels on The UK cd 1989 Mute 5016025610099 Broken Frame are identical with the German INT 836.806 CD ( 1993). Looks like this is basically the same mastering as the old German INT 846.804 cd (1984/1985) , just slightly level shifted.

There is also a confirmation about that on Discogs

How is the sound of the remastered cds of Black celebration (2007) and Broken Frame (2006)?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    tmtomh likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I found all the remasters, except Ultra fatiguing, if one is not affected/minds added compression they are fine, Sound quality issues I have with the old masters mainly come's down to "Music For The Masses' I've heard/have excellent sounding digital recording's but I feel this album suffers...

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  5. Front 242 Addict

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I only heard the remaster of Violator and I prefer the original cd.

c-eling likes this.
  6. fraq_78

fraq_78 Well-Known Member

Not an expert, but when comparing Black celebration (2007) to the original I found it to be too loud and less well-rounded, but it had a quality I appreciated, the vocals were also more upfront and louder in the mix so it had more emotional impact. I definitely prefer the original but I am keeping the remaster as well.

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I have never played my old 80's CD's since getting the multichannel SACD's. I rarely move the settings from multichannel either. Those SACD multichannel mixes are pure class.

leonafonte, tmtomh and Wolfspaw like this.
  8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I might be an outlier, but I prefer the stereo SACD layer of the remaster of Black Celebration. Doesn't sound compressed like the CD layer and has more clarity and bass than the original. That said, the original WG Mute is one of my favorite CDs and I'm never going to get rid of it.

Violator is imho a great sounding CD - the SACD is excellent but not really improved from the original US Sire, which is phenomenal.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

What is the UPC on that WG Mute? And do you happen to know the EAC peak levels, or if it shares the same mastering as the early USA CD?

:agree:

10. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

The WG is this one, George: https://www.discogs.com/Depeche-Mode-Black-Celebration/release/253759

Here a link to the the peaks and DR log: Album details - Dynamic Range Database »

The early USA CD differs in track listing and mastering. I considered it a bit muddy sounding compared with the WG when I compared them some years ago.

https://www.discogs.com/Depeche-Mode-Black-Celebration/release/2132826

Hope this helps.

tmtomh, George P and c-eling like this.
  11. c-eling

Yep the striped 1986 Sonopress is a good one :cheers:

12. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

WG CD (INT 846.818):

77.8 %
    100.0 %
    100.0 %
    59.7 %
    63.3 %
    99.2 %
    89.9 %
    90.1 %
    67.8 %
    70.9 %
    93.3 &
    100.0 % (Extra Track)
    87.1 % (Extra Track)
    58.5 % (Extra Track)

US/Canadian Sire CD (Sire 9 25429 2):

68.5 %
    94.3 %
    82.7 %
    49.8 %
    52.8 %
    80.1 %
    76.4 %
    85.5 %
    64.1 %
    59.9 %
    89.1 %
    65.0 %

For all who have both compare the title track at around 0:44 right after the intro when the synths set in: The WG(and by the way all other masterings i have heard)has a lot more punch than the Sire CD. And of course the Sire has the weird double intro for A Question Of Time. Would like to know how that happened but at least it makes the US/Canadian CDs unique. ;)

tmtomh, George P, scobb and 2 others like this.
  13. c-eling

Carries on the US lp as well, weird

tmtomh likes this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

According to depmod, the "? Of Time" double intro is on a number of releases, including the SACD and 2007 CD remasters.

A Question Of Time · Depeche Mode Songfinder »

(edited to add link to depmod)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  15. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

It is certainly not on the 2007 remaster. Depmod must be wrong there. Just checked the page and maybe it is on some old MCs from South Africa or New Zealand if they used that mastering but i've never heard it on another CD. Depmod also states that a Brazilian CD(with Sonopress matrix!)used the double intro. Don't have that one but i highly doubt that Sonopress used the Sire mastering.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

DEPMOD.COM · Depeche Mode ·Black Celebration · 1309111-1 »
    One look at the CD label shows it has the European 14 track list but depmod states it plays 12. I assume they just messed around with the different track lists sometimes. And whenever they used the US 12 track list A?OT is of course listed as the version with double intro.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  17. Gems-A-Bems

They list it on 11 track versions, too. I don't have the SACD to check.

18. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

The SACD plays the "normal" version without the double intro.

tmtomh, Gems-A-Bems and c-eling like this.
  19. c-eling

Correct, the remasters including the vinyl don't have the glitch
    The HDTracks early master transfer does

tmtomh, Marc 74 and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  20. Gems-A-Bems

Well, that kinda bums me out. I thought depmod was not only comprehensive but accurate.

21. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I think it's still a very good if not the best page for DM collectors out there. Unfortunately there was not very much done for several years to develop and improve it but as far as i know (i'm a member of the depmod forum and their FB group) they are currently working to update the page and fix some problems.

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Marc, are you catching Spirit tour next June?
    Jeff

23. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I hope so,Jeff. I have no ticket yet and i'm still unsure about the city. Berlin would be nice as i've never seen them there live. I completely missed the last tour as i was not feeling very well at that time so it's been quite a few years since my last DM gig.

c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  24. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I looked at the site and it seems a comprehensive reference for collectors.
    I can't see any reference to mastering differences, though, and that would be equally useful to "other" sorts of collectors.

25. c-eling

Levels for the US Sire SRC-01 1987 'Some Great Reward'
    84.2/77.8/89.2/67.4/76.4/57.0/75.2/80.2/84.7
    Differs quite a bit from the INT

tmtomh likes this.