Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

s/t - Lucifer's Friend
    1970/2010.
    [​IMG]

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Listening to the 5.1 mix for the very first time. Sonic bliss.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Replacements, Tim. What the heck else would anyone be playing at nearly 2:00 a.m?

Marzz, rockinlazys and budwhite like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Here comes a regular gets me every time

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

budwhite likes this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just got a great gift from a good friend and his family, the first 5 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers albums on vinyl, we listened to the first one together last night, but I'm giving it another spin this afternoon and thinking about seeing how many of these I can marathon through. I have the key radio hits on an anthology, but for some ridiculous reason I've never owned any of these 5 albums before. Lots of fun listening, and at least the first record is clean and in great shape.

7. budwhite

Great gift indeed. I have them all. Damn the torpedoes is my favorite and it's very crankable on vinyl, enjoy! I also have the blu-ray version and it has a killer 5.1 mix. The sound is huge on that bad boy

Blu-ray Audio: Damn The Torpedoes »

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cool. I don't have a 5.1 set up, but would be interesting to hear. Just finished up album #2 and running errands, but Damn the Torpedos is up next when I get back.

budwhite likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

The Best Of Ike And Tina Turner
    [​IMG]

10. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Lou Reed - Sally Can't Dance/ Jeb Loy Nichols - Lovers Knot/ Lindisfarne - Nicely Out Of Tune/ Merle Travis & Joe Maphis -Country Guitar Giants...

11. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I just logged in to say I love this album. I just logged in to say how much I care.

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've been grooving to this a lot since it arrived in the mail a couple of weeks ago:

Dust on the Nettles: a journey through the British underground folk scene 1967 -72
    [​IMG]

You may know Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, and the like, but this (mostly) indie stuff is lovely. It's a bargain 3CD box, btw...

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I am going as far as my collection will let me take in a Tom Petty chronological studio album marathon, having plowed through Damn the Torpedos (my favorite, which aligns with the conventional wisdom), Hard Promises (almost as good), Long After Dark (plenty of good stuff, but the worst of the first 5, as the 80s sensibility isn't doing some tracks any favors), and Southern Accents (same, but Rebels is a killer opening track and I've always liked Don't Come Around Here No More). The worst songs on Southern Accents are the worst songs on any of these albums.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

When I was in college, the current record was Wildflowers.

I had that one, and I listened to it a lot. So much that I burned out on it. I haven't heard it in years and should probably revisit.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Wildflowers is a good one. I probably first became aware of Petty when You Got Lucky was getting MTV play, and Full Moon Fever came out during the tail end of my freshman year in college. I have several of the later ones, but don't have Let Me Up I've Had Enough, so decided to end my marathon after the first six, since I would have to start skipping. And there is only so much Petty I can marathon in a day. As a capper, I am finishing, though, by going back and playing the Official Live 'Leg, a promo that came out after the first s/t album, since I have the copy that came in the Deluxe version of the Live Anthology. I forgot about this one until it was too late to fit it in chronologically.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Iggy Pop's The Idiot. Another "Album Club" pick this month and a good way to change gears after the Petty marathon. Probably wrapping it up for the night after this, saving some energy for tomorrow's trip down to Shoreline for the Bridge Benefit. Excited for Neil as always, and also for Nils Lofgren, My Morning Jacket, Willie Nelson, and Roger Waters, and Metallica acoustic should be interesting (I'm not a big fan but respect them well enough and the Some Kind of Monster documentary has been a bottomless supply of mirth while flipping though the cable channels… seriously, you haven't lived until you've seen Metallica go through group therapy with a guy in a Cosby sweater). Metallica has played the Bridge before, but not any of the years I've gone. I've seen Neil (many times), MMJ and Willie at the Bridge before and am always over the moon with the chance to see any of them, but the really tantalizing possibilities in my mind lie in the question of what songs Waters will include in his set.

18. Slick Willie

Time And A word - Yes
    UK press.
    [​IMG]

Crispy Rob, rockinlazys and Rne like this.
  19. Slick Willie

In Search Of The Lost Chord - The Moody Blues
    3W/2W, UK press.
    [​IMG]

20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Way Out Northwest: John Butcher on soprano & tenor saxophone s with Torsten Muller on bass & Dylan Van Der Schyff on drums

Obtuse, difficult skronky crunchy improvisations

"insect music" with muscle

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Siouxsie and the boys go pop without losing the indispensable dark edge, and it works so well.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Siouxsie & The Banshees' final album.

23. budwhite

I agree on most things. Hard Promises is almost as good as Torpedoes yes. The Waiting might be Petty's best riff and a top five song. Long after dark has some gems but the 80s caught up with that record and not in a good way as you say. Southern accents has the fantastic title song and the other ones you mentioned.

Did you find any "new" songs on the first two records?

24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Joe McPhee Quartet: Magic!!

If one can open one's mind & heart, there are sublime and sometimes even in your face buried treasures within very obscure or even seemingly unbalanced sessions like this 2008 double CD on not two records.

Firstly Dominic Duval was one of the singular dominant bassists of his time. This is a great place to hear him. Makes me think of the immense Seeds, Vision & Counterpoint - a trio with the same drummer (Jay Rosen) with another mind bending but even more screaming saxophonist, the great tenor man, Ivo Perelman.

See I do modern avant-garde jazzlike the old schoolers do classic jazz. Join the team and listen to some Joe McPhee already. This one is the master on alto saxophone, pocket trumpet and a wee bit of clarinet. go forth young ducks:)

ianuaditis and Erik B. like this.
  25. Slick Willie

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
    1A/1B press.
    [​IMG]

Erik B. likes this.