It's an epidemic! Serena Ryder album: loudness and poor production.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SKATTERBRANE, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have had Serena Ryder's first 3 albums for awhile now. I think they sound great and I like her music. Based on that I bought one of her more recent albums (Harmony) and her songs and performances are just fine. BUT THE SOUND SUCKS. I guess I should just plan give up buying newer releases as all the production seems to be done by people who make sound for video games or something! LOUD, CRASHING, RINGING, NOISY, ECHO LADEN, EMPTY HALLWAY sounds. COMPRESSED LIKE A GRAPE UNDER AN ELEPHANT'S FOOT. Do these people have no point of real musical reference? It seems they are all copying each other.

Are these new producers DEAF or do they just want to make everyone else deaf?

JPH2000 likes this.
  2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I think the mod's would like to see "Serena Ryder" with something descriptive of the theme (eg. "sound quality") in the thread title.
    Click-bait titles like you have used ("It's an epidemic!") tend to be frowned upon. Personally, I find them annoying.

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

So do we. Thread title amended now.

qwerty, shaboo and JPH2000 like this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Twenty years ago it was an epidemic. Today it's just the standard practice. Hopefully in the future the prevailing trend will be for music production that sounds more natural. It does seem that the trend has at least stabilized, and some artists are backing off on the loudness a bit. But it is sad that a whole generation of music has now been produced in this manner.

Chemguy likes this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

Thank you.

qwerty likes this.
  6. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Well consolation is that if this epidemic disappears it will only emerge a new one. It can be even worse. :p

7. SKATTERBRANE

Yes, you're right. The last epidemic was the 80s drum sound.

8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have noticed within the last two years or so, a slight decline in loudness. In 2006, most albums being made were on average around a dr 5. Some were a little better and some were worse. Now I'm starting to see slightly higher ranges and slightly lower volumes. The last few remasters I have purchased were not near as crushed as they would have been 5 years ago.

Of course the loudness trend still continues today but maybe it's fading away. With all the people complaining about the loudness war just maybe it is coming to an end.

Then again I could be completely wrong and we will all be doomed with horrible sound quality for the rest of our lives. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.