$100K Sound Systems ???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Spending $100k on a system without measuring and treating the room is the epitome of a waste.
    Give me $30k and a treated\reno'd room any day.

ronm and Slack like this.
  2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Shoot! I would love to say "I paid ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS for this little jewel":)

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

If I struck it rich and decided to replace my current semi-vintage system I’d still probably spend way south of $20K.

Mostly it would be nice to splash out on some Joseph Audio speakers, and a new turntable with a sub-thousand-dollar Ortofon or Audio-Technica cartridge.

No elephantine McMansion yuppie-from-hell megabucks hi-fi for me, thank you very much. It’s fun to hear all that overbearing, overbuilt gear at hi-fi shows but it rarely sounds like something I’d like to live with. The organic beautiful multi-format sound you can buy these days for less than the price of a Subaru is pretty amazing.

brew ziggins likes this.
  4. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I am the same here. Always got my gears at a discount. The only one I paid full price was my Paradigm Studio 10. At the time it was the best under 1k system I could audition in my area. The dealer knew he got me at first song. : )

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

On the other hand I would consider paying $7,500 for this watch so I am slightly crazy. It all depends on what.

Rolex-114060.jpeg

6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

It's all relative:)

7. David756

David756 Active Member

If I had that kind of money to burn, sure why not, but I don't think it is neccessary to achieve great sound.

timind likes this.
  8. G E

G E Senior Member

Hang out with Jeff Beck you get cars and music and maybe a lesson on spinning a wrench, ahem, I meant spanner.

arglebargle likes this.
  9. G E

G E Senior Member

I just tell them it's half as nice as my brother in laws motorboat..., but it doesn't cost me $350 to run it full out over the weekend.

Preston likes this.
  10. G E

G E Senior Member

I understand this. I don't do jewelry but I could see myself developing a serious watch habit. Something cool about wearing mechanical precision and aesthetic grace.

Right now my other distraction is my Subaru BRZ. Mountain roads in the Fall...

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Do it!

12. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I'm with you on the vintage equipment, I've spent a lot of time putting together Scott, Fisher, Marantz and Grommes
    based systems. I prefer to put my available spare cash into musical instruments and recording gear.

You've also shown that you have pretty damn good taste in guitars!

13. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

The Rollie has much better resale value than most audio equipment so it's easier to justify. You can wear it for 5 years and get back most of what you paid, same thing buying a Harley.

14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You only live once. I collect watches and would love to have a Submariner. Not that I could realistically afford it but if you can and are in doubt, by all means take the plunge.

15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Nu
    Numbers don't "float" on the Rolex:)

16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Or how much they make or are worth for that matter. I never do it and never answer to that kinda questions. The other day I congratulate a neighbor for some used old car he bought and he immediately uttered ¨D'ya like it ? ¨XXXX money¨, which obviously was a fortune for that car.

Down here people tell everyone, even perfect strangers how much they make or pay for rent, value of their possessions, etc, and they often lie about it. They tell you less or more, depending on whether they want to brag about or conceal. And since they told you, they wanna know the same about you, and get offended when you answer you don't talk about money. Ain't that crazy ? I've been around the world and that never happened to me, ever.

17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Asking how much I make Job wise is a no no...no!
    And it's happened.

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. missan

missan Forum Resident

For me personally, totally uninteresting.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Eh, I have one of these. That's probably enough. I just like watches, that's my problem. omega speedmaster.jpg

Sorry, back to gear, my bad..

Pythonman, cat9, Mal and 4 others like this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yea! I'm all about dat too! Love watches! Big Time:)

The Pinhead and Steve Hoffman like this.
  21. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Nah, at that level the ratio of parts cost vs sake cost is beyond normal to me. I'll pay so much for r&d, but not for that company owners Ferrari

22. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Over the last 10 years or so, the pricing of high end gear has gone crazy. I've listened to some of it and have come away unimpressed. I suspect a lot of manufacturers (large and small) are targeting the wealthy where price is no object and in fact if you priced your product more reasonably or moderately, it may be perceived as unworthy of consideration. In other words, the high price itself proclaims the gear's exclusivity and desirability. But the high price may not necessarily be reflective of the gear's inherent quality or cost of materials & R&D.

Having said all that, though, if you spend more, you can get more. The key is, as with other things in life, to separate the wheat from chaff and choose carefully. In fact one can easily spend $100k on a hifi. I know several people who have spent a few multiples of that and they have some stupendous sounding (and enjoyable) systems. Just because one can't or may not want to spend so much on hifi doesn't mean that others who do are stupid, crazy or misguided.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  23. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I have a very nice Swatch.

izgoblin and Mal like this.
  24. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I've seen some systems where $100,000 only pay for part of the system.Some were very good some not.

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.