New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Went through the pre-order on amazon.uk.
    There's no hype sticker, nothing identifying this other than its an EMI catalogue release.
    After purchasing, a description comes up, this is a limited UK 40th anniversary pressing.

Went to 2 audiophile sites, Direct was one, don't remember the other, both had "repress arriving" or something of that nature.

This is DSOTM vinyl release for November 2016 we're talking about.
    I didn't find ANY information regarding what's being released either in the US or UK/Europe for this other than a date.

I rolled the dice on a UK WYWH because the hype sticker noting Guthrie et al is on it, and its cheap enough.

Norco74 likes this.
  2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Deeply cynical, especially when they've gone to the extent of texturing on Meddle and the curved corners on OBC.

Whatever changes have happened, they're on purpose. Not due to neglect. But if it floats your guys' boat more to think that the Floyd and Storm Thorgerson's people have made such noticeable changes out of ignorance or not caring, more power to ya.

3. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

No texturing on AHM though. It's all a bit haphazard.

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Perhaps they had no choice to use whatever graphic material that was available. As mastertape, original graphics are aging. I am no expert nor pretending to have all answers just asking.

Ben Adams likes this.
  5. Norco74

This need to be investigated as a lot of this forum's readers are expecting the BG remastered version.

6. The image on the official Pink Floyd site for DSOTM seems to show the cover with a hype sticker including the "Remastered by...Bernie Grundman" text.

Efus likes this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'm sure some of the original art is missing. In some cases (like Meddle) it's possible the bumped-up colors are closer to Storm's original vision. We don't know. I'm just saying I'm doubtful any of these changes are happening due to people not caring.

rsorensen and Norco74 like this.
  8. Norco74

Do we know if Storm's people are involved for this campaign?

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'm figuring at some level they are. He would have held on to at least some original art elements.

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Anything I post, of course, comes with the caveat that I'm just another yob posting on a hardcore fanatic music forum. :D

chili555 and Norco74 like this.
  11. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i think their intent was to stay somewhat close to the originals while at the same time updating it for today and maybe saving a penny here and there in the process.

packaging-wise i mean.

sound remaster is top quality.

12. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

If you have original copies the lack of care is plain. Look at the partially destroyed images on the back of Saucerful - you're telling me that couldn't have been better; scanning an original and touching it up would yield better results. The blacks are crushed in places on Piper, Saucerful, Ummagumma. There's more differences than some realise. When it comes to artwork, they're just not in the same league as other reissues I've seen. So, maybe it's not that they didn't care, just they never thought accuracy was that important beyond the jackets carrying the main images we are all familiar with. A higher degree of authenticity wasn't their aim. It should have been.

jon9091 likes this.
  13. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I got WYWH for $25.19 (Canadian) at Amazon.ca, which is the same as I paid for the other single PF LPs. However, Meddle has been $46(Canadian) at Amazon.ca, since it's release. DSOTM is more but since I already have the 30th Anniversary LP and SACD, I'm good.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, I remember hearing about Meddle being jacked up in Canada, I thought that was an error that would be corrected after it was released. Dunno what could be up with that - is it any cheaper to order from Amazom UK in Canada?

15. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

On Amazon.ca, 'The Wall' went from $39.00 to $71.00 then back down to $40.00 over the span of a week about a month ago.

dkmonroe likes this.
  16. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

ODShowtime likes this.
  17. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Yes, it can sometimes be much cheaper to order from Amazon UK in Canada and I have done so many times. The only thing to be wary of is that for larger/more expensive items they tend to ship with UPS instead of Royal Mail and the you get dinged with import fees (cost me $50 CDN on the recent Stones vinyl set).

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. Norco74

Looks like we get mandatory rigged into brokerage fee/import tax and GST (kind of vat) when UPS is delivering in Canada. Brown is expensive!

19. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

It's $35 for a double or $25 for a single if you buy it from a store.

20. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Yes, Customs is a strange thing between the US and Canada. A store that I go to usually tries to get the European pressings instead of the US ones because - I was told - it was cheaper (taking into consideration the exchange rates, obviously).

Norco74 likes this.
  21. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

I live on a the Canadian/US border and I hate ordering/traveling to the US. such as hassle with everything. I don't have a Nexus pass so I am getting questioned at the border or I am paying tremendous Duty charges on whatever I buy.

Norco74 and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  22. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Agreed. If they were able to do it for the Beatles reissues, it would have been that much easier for Floyd since they're relatively more ''recent''.

Steel City likes this.
  23. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

If that's true, then why all the fuss for us in the USA to order from UK. I'd much rather order from AS.

24. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Despite all of this, it can still often be cheaper, including brokerage fees, to order from the UK (or elsewhere outside of Canada) - and sometimes desirable, as in the issues discussed in this thread with alternate pressings, since sometimes Amazon UK offers something not available on Amazon Canada.

25. Domnation

Domnation Member

8 Tracks recording sessions with lots of bouncing.... For example, you record 6 tracks. You Do a mix and bounce it on 2 tracks then you have again 6 tracks to record other intruments and bounce it again. 1968 recording sessions. Sorry for my English ;-)))

1950 : 4 Tracks machine
    1960 /1970 : 8 Tracks machine
    Late 70's : 16 and 24 Tracks machine
    1980 & 1990 : 24 & 48. Two 24 Tracks machines running side by side with a time code.
    And now up to 300 tracks if you got money to have a big Digital recording sytem.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.