"McCartney & Wings Say Goodnight Tonight" ENTER DISCO WATERS 1978--1979--POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Especially enjoy the extended version on 12" vinyl.

2. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Never liked the song. It and the London Town album stopped me from automatically buying McCartney releases from then on.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:shrug:
    WOW !!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. OldShiftyEyes

OldShiftyEyes Forum Resident

One of my favorites. Great rhythm, love the bass and the flamenco guitar, never get tired of playing it.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

The whole tune is so infectious.

6. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It a great track and very uniquely McCartney.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

BIG TIME !!

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The Grammys have a category for both "song of the year" and "record of the year." For me, Goodnight Tonight is not a great song, but the record rocks! The bass is awesome, and Paul's vocal is excellent. I don't even care much for dance/disco music, but this track is very enjoyable.

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Nice song. What is the best version on CD?

10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Not a big fan of this one, but it does have a good bass.
    I really wish that Paul had released the far superior "Daytime Nighttime Suffering" as the A side. It would have helped boost his credibility as an artist more than doing a trendy disco number did.

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I had some reservations about this song when it first came out (a "going disco" sellout to my 15-year-old mind), but it has grown on me immensely over the years. Besides having a great bass line and being catchy as heck, it is such a sweet sentiment (like John Mellencamp's equally evocative "Ain't Even Done With the Night").

He performed an off-the-cuff, semi-jammed version of the song (first in 32 years) as a guest performer at an African Express concert in 2012. If I were in the audience I would have plotzed.

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I believe I first owned the extended version on this nice pseudo-promo pirate 2 LP set, circa 1982-ish:

"Odd Sox"

[​IMG]

'

14. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I've always liked Goodnight Tonight, since the first day it was released. I'd never heard the long version until today! It's pretty good, but I still prefer the shorter single version.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

PGT, great post...nothing boring about it at all. I love your insights (but that's nothing new). i can't really add anything to what you said other than to point out that this 45 has one of Paul's best post-Beatles B-sides. All in all, this is a very solid record. Thinking along disco lines, it wasn't nearly the massive success Silly Love Songs was but it was a far more creative song.

16. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Didn't really care for Goodnight Tonight in 1979, still don't.

I DO like Daytime, Nighttime Suffering and the Back To The Egg album though.

17. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I like it. It's got a slinky feel.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

BIG TIME !!

theMess and 3Dman like this.
  19. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Well at the time, John Lennon wasn't recording music, George's "Love Comes To Everyone" sounds sort of disco and your friend must have really brainwashed his memory to forget Ringo's Ringo The 4th in just a small span of two years :laugh:.

Overall, I really love Goodnight Tonight. I can't remember the first time I heard it, but I did buy it on iTunes and then quickly bought the the 45 single with the German picture sleeve. I love both, but I like the 7 minute version the best. I also placed the two back to back on my all-time favorite McCartney songs list at #5 (4 minute) and #4 (7 minute). I even picked up the 12" vinyl with a radio copy picture sleeve of the cover. I do really want to get a UK version because of the inner sleeve.

20. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

One of my all time favorite Macca singles, I wish he would play it live!

21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Excellent tune. The B side "Daytime Nightime Suffering" is even better, one of my favorites (my kids, 13 and 8, love it too).

22. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Absolutely love it and never get tired of hearing it. I feel like out of every McCartney track, "Goodnight Tonight" is the one that I most often have an "I need to listen to it" craving for. Musically there are so many amazing elements, the vocals (lead and backing) are great, and the whole atmosphere is so warm and inviting.

My introduction to most of Paul's post-Beatles hits was through Wingspan, and I remember when I first got it, this song didn't really stand out to me. It was fine, but there were other tracks that grabbed me more. Then on a road trip a few weeks later, my dad let everyone pick one CD to play in the car, and I selected the Hits disc of Wingspan. When "Goodnight Tonight" started, my dad was like, "I love this song," and sang along with the bass line for most of the song. I think that was the moment that made me a fan of this song for life.

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

24. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

So the 12" mix is still unavailable on cd, correct?

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"Goodnight Tonight" has always been on of my favourite solo McCartney songs. I was gobsmacked to discover it was one of his One Man Band songs other than Laurence Juber's flamenco overdub. Killer bass line.

It should have been on Back To The Egg, and Columbia should have just stuck it on there somewhere the way Capitol did with "Helen Wheels" on Band On The Run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.