RIP Kevin Meaney

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vamborules, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kevin Meaney, Veteran Stand-Up Comic, Dies at 60 »

I'll never forget seeing him when he was first on the Tonight Show back in the 80s. He was so original. So unique. So unbelievably, hilariously silly.

One of the funniest comedians ever as far as I'm concerned. Nobody has ever made me laugh harder.

Agent57, rburly, RickH and 8 others like this.
  2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Rest easy, Mr. Meaney. Like a crazy person.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Funny guy. He always made me laugh. RIP.

4. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

"We're big pants people!"

RIP Thanks for the laughs.

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  5. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

Classic appearance on Dr. Katz.

ex_mixer, babyblue, agaraffa and 3 others like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"That's not riiiiiiight!" Very funny man. I'm sorry to hear he passed away -- judging by Facebook, he was very well-liked by the stand-up comic community.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"That's not right!"- indeed.
    I can't tell you the COUNTLESS times the times the wife and I have repeated his classic lines!
    From "You're on THE POT!", to "I DON'T CARE! I DON'T CARE! BING,BING,BING! ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM!"
    He had been suffering from some form of depression for a while, though.
    I remember the story I heard about him being detained at an airport with his young daughter for causing some sort of ruckus.
    I don't remember the details.....
    We'll always have a special place in our hearts!

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

One of my favorite comedians, ever. The thing I liked about Kevin Meaney is that his humor transcended politics, negativity, and divisiveness. He was silly, joyful, and simply made me laugh out loud.

The world needs more comedians like Kevin Meaney. Rest in peace, Kevin.

9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Rest in peace Mr Meany, or should I say Eeenie.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Meaney had a great bit in his act where he'd tell a deliberately bad joke, then when nobody laughed, he'd start singing, "I don't care! I don't care! I don't care, I don't care, I don't care!" Funny as hell.

I dunno about depression, but I know he came out about 7-8 years ago and divorced his wife (amicably). Nobody knows the facts about his death yet, but it's a sad truth that many very funny people are terribly depressed and/or neurotic (and I'd put Robin Williams and Richard Jeni in that category, both of whom talented comic actors and comedians who chose to end their lives).

izgoblin likes this.
  11. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I remember him opening for some group...can't remember who...at Jones Beach in the mid 1980s. Wasn't very well received, but opening acts seldom are.

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

wow, "That's Not Right...."

RIP Kevin.

I recall many of his Tonight Show appearances, and a very Funny talent!

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I saw him multiple times at the Fillmore in San Francisco around 1990...Always funny...

60 is way too young...

14. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Damn. I always felt he should have been better known than he was, and he was supportive of me when I tried to be a Stand-Up comic.

MikaelaArsenault and RickH like this.
  15. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

RP Kevin Meany.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Like the others here, I saw Kevin Meaney many times on television back in the 1980s. He literally, and I do mean literally, had me on the floor rolling and laughing. Map jokes, "I don't care", zoom zoom zoom, etc. Johnny Carson thought that he was so funny that he allowed him to do that extra long stand up parody of We Are the World. I had it on VHS tape, and the Dylan bit made me crack up everytime. I saw him last year in concert and I nearly fell out of my chair laughing so hard. Pretty similar to this one from 2014

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  17. danner

danner Forum Resident

According to Barry Crimmins, it was a heart attack. At least, that's what Louis CK said in his email newsletter.

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Very sad :(

19. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

R.I.P. Seems like the best comedians are the ones that go way before their time

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Always liked him.

RIP Kevin.

21. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Stumbled upon the We Are the World bit on youtube after reading this thread and it's classic. He even throws in Dan Akroyd!

MikaelaArsenault and stereoptic like this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just literally laughed until I cried watching Kevin Meaney's classic "We Are the World" routine from Carson:

Anybody who was around in March of 1985 and remembers the impact of this song will appreciate how amazing Kevin's impressions of all the singers from that recording session. Kevin's version of Michael Jackson had me on the floor!

MLutthans and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

To this day, almost 30 years later, I still reference "That's not right!" and "I don't care!...Bing bing bing, zoom zoom zoom..." almost daily. I'd forgotten about the "We Are The World" bit. What a funny, funny man.

vince, MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.