Anyone using an integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cody @ TARA, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I've been running a Linn Classic Integrated into a pair of Tukans (sp?) in my Bedroom setup for 20 Years.

Love it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

I use this in our main lounge for all purpose LP, CD and DVD playback (CD and DVD via the Yamaha's internal DAC), with the LP in picture for scale. A Yamaha AX-2000:

[​IMG]

timind, Manimal and Gordon Johnson like this.
  3. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

I switched from Rogue separates to a Pass INT30A integrated. Both setups sound awesome, and I do sometimes miss my Rogue tubes, but the Pass is a monster.

IanL likes this.
  4. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Mission Cyrus III circa 1992

....then added PSX R power supply

....then added XPA power amp

Very content

....then added Heed Questar phono stage

....then added Heed Q power supply to it

All done rather on the cheap !
    Very content

5. kauwi

kauwi Well-Known Member

Have the same and the little SRA / SRP Combo - for me the one of best Amp that could be for this pricerange - i say speed and drive!!
    Also love Spectral :) - but very high priced :rolleyes: - for me

Scott in DC likes this.
  6. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Yamaha A-S801 here. Great performer, excellent DAC, built like a tank.

[​IMG]

NOS300B, timind, Bananas&blow and 3 others like this.
  7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have been eyeing this one up for a while. Either this or the more expensive Rotel RA-1570.

How would you rate the phono input?

8. mace

mace Forum Resident

Moon 250i, great sounding integrated, and conservatively rated at 50wpc.

bhazen likes this.
  9. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Marantz PM8005. As a lifelong collector of vintage tube gear I never considered anything of newer vintage tube or solid state to measure up and I've heard and owned many. So one day I decided to set up a second system in my bedroom and instead of using one of my restored tube amps I decided to order up one of these, for what reason I cannot even remember. I hooked it up and right away noticed it had an excellent overall sound but again nothing special but very good. After running it a few months I began to notice it had incredible depth and soundsstagimg with a sweet high end rather than solid state etched. So I decided to take it into my main system with my KEF LS50s and where my Scott and Dynaco tube amps lived.....just for kicks. This amp shattered all my very hard headed preferences for vintage tube gear. It has depth of soundstage that is absolutely incredible and a romantic sweet high end and deep slightly loose bass much like a tube amp. In short I've been in love with this thing since that day several years ago and it has assumed a permenant home in the main system. To my ears this amp is darn near perfect. It has a lot of tube amp virtues but not the sometimes glassy upper mids characteristic of many tube amps. I can't say enough good about it. I was so impressed I bought the sa8005 and na8005 as well which are both equally as good. I've considered upgrading to the reference line but love this one so much I'm afraid to destroy any symmetry that might exist in my current system. I also upgraded my HT amp with a Marantz 7010 which is also very impressive but not in the same class as the Marantz 2ch amps, but for an AVR I listen to music on it often and am not left disappointed. Marantz is definitely back to the quality and sound it once had up to 1980. It's an amp I could live with from here on out and probably will and start buying more music !

BNell, samid, timind and 6 others like this.
  10. Jeffczar

Can't go wrong with ANY Scott tube integrated. Have a 222C and 299A. Of all the collecting I've done through the years and all the amps I've bought and restored or kept just to have the experience of hearing them, the Scotts to me are the most musical, beautiful sounding amps of any. When properly restored and brought up to spec without hacking the original circuit design and keeping as many original components as possible, they are among the best sounding amps ever made if I were to pick among everything I've heard. This includes McIntosh and Marantz.

Prophetzong likes this.
  11. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

The Marantz Reference Series would not destroy your symmetry, only your bank account.

DonnyMe likes this.
  12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

An old one, but an integrated all the same...Pioneer SA-9500 II.

Manimal likes this.
  13. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I think my first amplifier was a Pioneer SA 508, I need to dig out some old pictures to check.

EddieMann likes this.
  14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Ancient Parasound CA 250 and Parasound Dr 25. Love em. May be I'm just really used to them but when I demoed a Rogue Sphinx a few months back I was pleased to find the Parasounds sounded more musical...to me:) back it went, but the Rogue is still a fine machine. Guess I'll have to go higher up the chain.

15. Jeffczar

No kidding ! I've seen a few on eBay for under $2000 new for the PM14 or PM15 but if I'm making the move it's PM11 or bust ! I can't see it being 3 times better than the 8005 which actually is made on the reference assembly line and factory and actually is much the same in many ways. I'm sure I won't be able to resist the mistress that is the PM11 in gold forever, I will eventually succumb to my base desires ! LOL

16. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I am dying to hear a Neo ACE. Seems to be everything you could want except tubes and LOMC, oh and a tape loop.

17. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

A 36 year old Technics SU-V6

18. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I am using a Revox B-150 and waiting for the arrival of a BV Audio A300S integrated amp.

19. bucketsrb

bucketsrb Well-Known Member

Can you describe the strengths and weakness between these two well regarded amps, and do you have a favorite among either one? What type of music do you play and is one better for a specific genre?

20. Cyrus 8 amp with power supply; no need to "upgrade" for me

21. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

With Harbeths I like the Rogue better for all music styles, has more power, even and smooth sounding. I like how Rogue voices their amps, its a personal preference thing.

22. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Mcintosh MA5200- fantastic- much smoother than my previous Rotel.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  23. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I use a separate phono-preamp (Lounge Audio LCR MKIII). Haven't tried the Yamaha's built in phono input.

24. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

Agreed! The PM8005 is an awesome amp.

I have also 'stumbled' on the PM8005 + KEF LS50 combo. It was not planned but as soon as I listened I knew that the synergy was there...

BilboAlaska and Jeffczar like this.
  25. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I bought an AS801 in February. I would describe the phono as adequate. I kept reading about the benefits of external phono pre-amps, so I tried the Pro-ject phono box S. Goes for $200 new but found it used on Amazon for $140. It definitely increased the volume of the records and modestly improved the sound IMO. So I feel like I can confidently say the onboard Phono is lower in quality than a $200 external phono pre. I don't consider this a negative as this integrated cost $900, you aren't going to get a $500 phono pre-amp built in.

What you do get with this amp is a great amp with tight bass. I felt this amp was less bright than the marantz I had previously, and I mean that in a good way. It sounds honest to me (live up to the branding "Natural Sound". But what jumped out of the speakers was the clarity of the bass. I really noticed this on Bowie's "Width of a Circle" and was instantly impressed. For the price point, this amp is a great value. Before I purchased from Cruthfield, I chatted with the sales person about other integrated in the same price range including a Marantz that was $200 more than the AS-801. The salesperson was quite enthusiastic about this amp and said it stood out among the others in its range. If you only want or can spend a couple thousand $ on a system, I would strongly recommend this amp.

I wouldn't buy this amp for the phono, but for the high quality dac and excellent amplification.

NOS300B and johnny q like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.