Rega RP6 vs Clear Audio Concept vs Music Hall 7.3 vs ProJect 2Xpression SB

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Not this- from a former SOTA owner.

2. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

I settled on a Techniques 1200 MK2 with upgrades from KAB

3. ScottInDallas

ScottInDallas Forum Resident

Just got done setting it up and giving the inaugural spin. Dead quiet - zero noise from the motor. Solidly built with good attention to detail. The only "negative" comment I have is that everything seems pretty bright. That said, I really need to spend some time tweaking my receiver which is something I hadn't done since before I got back into vinyl.
    [​IMG]

4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

My Comet is solidly built, sounds great and has given me no problems ever.

You've had other experiences?

5. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I think that only the arm of the Concept have some magnetic bearing, the main platter bearing is "normal" (steel/teflon). The trademark Clearaudio ceramic magnetic bearing (CMB) is to be found in the higher models.

Slick Willie and FashionBoy like this.
  6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

My Star Series III had vacuum pump issues and the motor was constantly going out of adjustment- it would start making ticking noises. Eventually it just sat. I found a buyer and bought a Pioneer PLX-1000 which got more use in the first year than my SOTA got in 10. No issues, either.

7. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

As a former owner of the Clearaudio Concept and current owner of an RP6 and a PLX-1000, I prefer the PLX-1000. The Concept was returned. Foot falls were an annoying issue. I think a wall mount is a must with this turntable if you have suspended floors. I have a rock solid, high quality rack, but still got footfalls. My RP6 is new but I'm not impressed with QC from Rega. When I received it there was platter wobble. I replaced the stock subplatter with the Groovetracer RP6 Reference subplatter and still a wobble. Come to find out it appears the hole drilled for the bearing shaft is off. I'll probably send this back for a refund.

My PLX has been trouble free and sounds damn good and it cost several hundred dollars less than both the Concept and RP6.

I really do like the looks of your MH. I've heard very good things about the 7.3

HiFi Guy likes this.
  8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Just FYI for those considering a Clearaudio Concept...the magnetic bearing is only on the Verify tonearm. The Concept Wood is offered with a Satisfy tonearm, which has a traditional bearing, and therefore avoids any footfall issues referenced in this thread. I use mine in a basement level so it's not an issue anyway, but the 'table is rock solid with that arm. I highly recommend the Concept Wood with the Satisfy arm, particularly with the Concept MC cartridge. The sound and quality are both top-notch for the price.

9. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Hey we're table brothers now @Slick Willie!

[​IMG]

Having owned a Concept w/Verify and a Classic 2... I daresay the 7.1 is my favorite. It rocks, it's quiet as could be, it has zero resonance issues where my Classic 2 actually suffered from that on occasion. It's a great value.

10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

You mean VPI Classic 2 had a resonance issue, with all that mass?

11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

It did, correct.

I was able to get the Music Hall to resonate also but only when I bought brand new subs that had phase dials and I had the phasing way off (meaning I was thumping my turntable instead of my listening position). But, to begin with I set the Music Hall in the exact same spot on the exact same custom wall shelf with the exact same speaker placement that resonated the VPI and I never had an issue with it. The old subs that resonated the VPI table but not the Music Hall were not equipped with phase dials, just phase switches, so I wasn't able to ever correct the issue with the VPI in place. But, again, all else equal, the Music Hall has been better in this respect. The problem with all that mass is if you do get it to move, it's going to be just as tough to get it to stop once it's started.

12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Nice!

13. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Oh, so it's a sub related issue, to start with. I don't use subs, preferring full range speakers instead. An I mostly listen to jazz. So Classic may still work for me, I was beginning to have second thoughts.

toddrhodes likes this.
  14. GKH

GKH Senior Member

HiFi Guy likes this.
  15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

How are you getting along with the 1200 MK2? Were the KAB upgrades already done when you purchased? Did you buy from a hi-fi shop locally,on-line,or from private owner? Sorry, I'm pretty nosey eh? Just curious how one goes about getting a 1200 with KAB. I'd like to find one too!

16. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

@Fender Relic So far so good. I bought the table from a local shop, and sent away for the KAB stuff. Then I had the shop install the KAB upgrades. Cost about $600 with everything

17. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Sounds reasonable. I've had a few 1200's over the years that I found at sales and flea mkts. but just flipped for quick cash. Kinda wish I'd kept one and followed your plan. I haven't run across another one in the past four years and I hear prices are crazy for a nice one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.