Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables, Best Vinyl Release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jpmcruiser, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpmcruiser

jpmcruiser New Member Thread Starter

I've been wanting to get a copy of this on vinyl but I can't decide which version I should get, should I go with an original pressing (and if so which one) or should I get one of the reissues?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I've had the original AT for decades, and think it sounds GR8. But if I had to replace my copy or buy my first, I'd go for the reissue over a used one. I've heard it's an OK remaster.

3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've got a 2U / 2U Porky Prime Cut UK Cherry Red pressing. It apparently isn't the exact original since its clear blue vinyl. But those are early pressings, 1981 or so. Discogs lists a 1U / 1U cut also on the early UK Pressing. I like the sound of mine. I picked it up at a house sale a few years ago where a guy was selling off rooms full of records.

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's not like it's an audiophile recording anyway. Go for what's affordable.

5. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Whether anyone thinks it's audiophile or not is beside the point. OP is asking for an opinion on the best vinyl. I say the original Porky UK.

AaronW likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have one of the reissues, a U.S. Manifesto copy, IIRC pressed at Rainbo and cut by Anne Marie Suenram. It's not bad at all, but I don't have an older copy to compare it to. I think I picked it up for around $10 on sale. I wouldn't necessarily say it's any big improvement over my old AT CD copy though.

If I were searching out older vinyl, I'd try to get a UK Porky Cut. Supposedly that one is the best. The album was pressed a ton of times so if you just want any old pressing it shouldn't be too hard to get. I wouldn't overpay for a bog standard late 80s pressing or whatever.

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No, that wasn't specifically his question, either. Thanks for playing, though.

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Could have sworn it was.

9. The Pinhead

Go for what's affordable is a nice advice. But saying it's not an audiophile recording ? What's the point ? Early 80s punk record never were. It sounds darn good for what it is, and a remaster or new bad pressing can worsen the audio to a fair extent. Hence the OP's question.

Then prolly the remaster's OK. Now good luck finding someone who has both versions to chime in on the sound Q. Since it was an excuse for releasing it under a new label, my bet is there's not much of a difference between them.

Just buy new.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  10. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

My original Cherry Red copy was a French pressing and that sounded fine. All of the pressings I've heard since sounded ok to me, so I agree with go for what you can afford.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. jpmcruiser

Do you know if the remaster was CD sourced or was it mastered properly?

12. The Pinhead

Sorry, I don't. When they released the remasters they advertised them as ¨remastered by the same engineers who did the originals. As for the source they may have used.....maybe AT alone was in possession of them ?

Who knows ? Just get the cheapest version you can lay hands upon and you'll be OK. No need to sweat over vintage punk rock recording quality. ¨Remastering¨, in this case was just an excuse for releasing under a different label over a royalties dispute, so chances are the differences are minor, if any at all.

13. Sub 37

Sub 37 Well-Known Member

The '81 US pressings include Police Truck as a bonus track. How do they compare to the '80 UK pressings? The US pressings have "Remastered for American Ears" stickers on some of them

14. jpmcruiser

Alright, thanks for the help!

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.