Any recommended freeware to convert Flac files to lossless for Sonos?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Porkpie, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got a number of albums in Flac format where the songs the songs are 80mb to 170mb. When I use my usual software the songs end up being around 5,000kbps and Sonos can't play them (usually my Flac to Apple Lossless files results in files around the 1,000kbps mark. Does anyone know how I can convert the Flac to lossless files compatible with both iTunes & Sonos at around 1,000kbps?

2. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

The 16-44.1K CD bit rate is 1411kbps, so if you are getting 5000kbps then the files must be a higher sample rate and resolution. Maybe you need to convert them to CD sample rate?

Sonos does all the formats, but only up to CD quality ...
    FLAC Lossless Up to 1411kbps
    ALAC Lossless Up to 1411kbps
    AIFF Lossless Up to 1411kbps
    WAV Lossless Up to 1411kbps

3. in Foobar2000 you can batch convert to many lossless formats. Batch converting is convenient and really fast in Foobar

4. Porkpie

Thanks, I just took a look at it but I've got a Mac and can't see a version for a Mac (should have mentioned that in original post)

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Use XLD for the Mac.

6. Porkpie

That's my usual converter but the files have been too big. I've been looking at the XLD settings and they were set "same as original" so I'm going to drop Bit Depth to 16 Bit, what would be the best corresponding Sample rate?

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

If your bit depth was 24 then that is the issue with excessively large files. You are not gaining anything by putting a 24 bit "wrapper" 0n a 16 bit file. Apple Lossless (ALAC) and FLAC are Lossless compressed files with typical Kbps of 500 to 1000 but can be less or more for 16 bit files. AIFF and WAV are a non-compressed (not compressed Lossless) and will be 1411 Kbps for a 16 bit file.

Porkpie likes this.
  8. Porkpie

The settings on XLD were set to maintain the original size and I had downloaded 24 bit so I've dropped to 96000 Hz and 16 bit. I've read elsewhere 48000 Hz is ample, do you think 96,000 Hz is overkill?

9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Porkpie likes this.
  10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If you have Pure Music, it will also down covert to AAC if needed. PM is primarily a playback software, so for the $129 cost I wouldn't buy it solely for the purpose of converting files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.