Phil Collins 'The Singles' - 3CD coming on October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Those are great songs. Totally lame move to give exclusive to a retailer.

2. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Just what the doctor ordered!

3. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I would be curious to know what you think of the SQ on the 3CD set once you've heard it? I already posted some initial thoughts on the sound quality and a few issues with some of the songs...see post #98.

4. Futurecity

Can you please take a look at the back insert of the 3CD Singles set you picked up from FYE and let me know if it says Printed In U.S.A or Made In The EU? I bought the 3CD set directly from Amazon.uk and my copy says Made In The EU. I'm curious if it's being manufactured here in the U.S. for FYE or if they are simply importing the Made In The EU edition?

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  5. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Yes, it does specifically say "Printed In The USA" on the back insert.

Galley likes this.
  6. Futurecity

OK, thanks for that info.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I was going to get this set but since none are the true single versions I probably won't. I have the remastered CD's that SH did. I don't have all the songs listed on the 3 CD but maybe I can grab better sounding versions from other releases. It doesn't surprise me that the songs sound a little uneven.

Pat

8. Futurecity

By the way, does Another Day In Paradise sound highly compressed on your 3CD FYE set and do the three Both Sides tracks sound pretty bad too? On my EU set these songs sound terrible, but I won't pick up the Made in the U.S.A. version if you tell me they sound exactly the same on your set?

9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

And not a one of the larger retailers, at that. The nearest one to me is 90 miles away. After that, 132 miles away. And I live in an area that has anything I would want.

JeffMo likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Nice avatar - Go Pats!

I'm the target audience for this singles comp, being a casual fan who didn't spring for the DEs of the albums. But I'm not buying the neutered 2cd version on principal.

I'm also in the camp that is puzzled why "I Don't Care Anymore" never makes it onto any comps.

11. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Probably because it wasn't a single in the UK

12. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

And it was only a minor hit in the US, barely squeaking into the Top 40 at #39. I can see why it would be left off a single disc compilation if they're trying to squeeze in as many bigger hits as they can onto one disc, but there's not much of a reason to leave it off a 2CD compilation. I'm just glad it's on the 3-Disc set.

ARK and Galley like this.
  13. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I don't recall noticing any differences with those songs, but I'll re-listen to them again tonight and come back later with some input.

14. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Sorry am I missing something is the 3 cd version that @Parachute Woman mentioned excusive to a retailer like the
    Target Adele 25 (not that I'm a big fan of Adele).

thanks

GPM
    Has a 38 track version.

15. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I don't know about the UK, but here in the US, the 3-Disc set seems to only be available at FYE stores.

ARK likes this.
  16. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I believe most of the single versions of his that have been mentioned so far are available on various CD singles and/or VA compilations. Of course, it would be a lot nicer to have them all in one collection, but at least they're out there. This year I found the single versions of "One More Night" and "Take Me Home" on a couple VA comps. The only one I have yet to see on CD is "I Don't Care Anymore".

Hep Alien and PTgraphics like this.
  17. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    FYE dont ship to the UK, I do have access to a myus.com account but it would take it over the £15.00 so there would be VAT and admin fees.
    shame
    thanks anyway, enjoy.

18. Futurecity

OK, thanks. "Another Day" sounds very compressed to me, while the other But Seriously tracks sound OK, and the Both Sides title track and WW&WW in particular sound even worse to me than on the Both Sides individual 2CD remaster. "Two Worlds" from Tarzan on disc 3 also sounds dull in comparison to the other three Tarzan songs, if you get a chance to check that one too.

19. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I just got the 3 CD set from FYE tonight. Didn't listen to it yet but I did rip the set to my hard drive & did a screen capture of the EAC specs for each
    CD. Here they are & I hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

The three disc set is available everywhere here in the UK

21. Futurecity

When you get a chance to listen to your 3CD FYE set, try and post back any songs you feel sound "off" or even worse? I have the 3CD Made In The EU set and I'm trying to determine if it sounds exactly like the Made In The U.S.A. set or if there could be slight SQ differences. I have found that sometimes, a U.S. CD could have slightly different tone, bass, whatever from it's EU counterpart, but not all the time of course.

22. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I don't know, it seems in old interviews that PC is not a huge fan of this song....hardly ever a part of his setlists.......such a shame and one of my solo PC faves!

DiabloG, Rigsby and JeffMo like this.
  23. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yeah not a big fan of what Rhino US did with the 3 CD version. FYE exclusive....ughhhh

24. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I have never been a fan of "exclusives" with music & movies. If they want to make exclusives, do it with a photo, a pin, or anything else but don't alter the CD or DVD/Blu-Ray content or the covers! Phil Collins' anniversary issues of his albums were terrible!

25. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Hoping for review of the LP set (vinyl.)

I heard the 3-cd version. It's too loud! My own self-made 2 cd comp sounds far superior to these versions of the songs.

I'm hoping the LP version has mastering that's more reasonable, as they can at times be a much less-compressed version.

Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.