Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I'm betting you dug the b-boy skeleton techno tune

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow....I don't remember the last time I didn't skip over anything in an SNL episode. Lada Gaga was even interesting enought to watch. They really hit it this week. No, not every skit was really funny but they were all at least interesting to watch. I didn't laugh a ton, but it was basically pretty darn even. I agree with Dudley above...they do seem to be taking a bit more risk lately. But after everything Donald has said, it seems the bar has been raised on what is and isn't risky! It's so great they have been getting Alec to jump in and do a spot on impersonation of Trump. It's nothing short of amazing. Glad they used him later in the airline skit as well. SNL is on the right track again.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Tom Hanks, when he hosts, rarely has a bad skit. He knocked it out of the park, as usual. My favorites with him were the "Sully" skit and Black Jeopardy. Loved the short with the ladies dressing up in Halloween costumes and going out on the town for a party night. Also, regardless if you love her or hate her, there is no denying that Lady Gaga has unbelievable talent and gives 110% in everything she does.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i agree tom hanks always does well. this episode was funny. its almost like the writers come up with great ideas and save them for when the bigger name hosts

Jrr, MikaelaArsenault and neo123 like this.
  5. Of course, he's had some high profile experience playing Trump types. Remember this role, complete with real estate, macho vulgarity, and "you're fired!"?

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man I love that movie. And no one could have played it better. He is also great in the movie called The Cooler, a film that has probably escaped most people. I'm surprised he hasn't done more film work. And I agree about saving the good skits for the A talent...it sure seems that way, or else the writers are just more inspired by guests that have such a wide range of acting talent. USA reviewed last nights episode and was just gushing about the whole thing. I don't think I've even seen SNL mentioned before in USA except for a brief mention about the Trump openings. Not expecting anything remotely as good next week. I think we have to keep our expectations down with all the unevenness going on with most episoded. I love this cast though!

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

From tvbythenumbers:

In late night, “Saturday Night Live” hit a season high with a 6.1/15 in metered market households and a 3.0/14 in adults 18-49. That beats the 5.8/15 and 2.7/14 for the season premiere, and NBC says it’s the best metered-market rating for an October “SNL” since 2008. It’s the best performance for any “SNL” since Nov. 7, 2015.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Why was THAT one special?

9. Alec Baldwin does a great job on the Hilary and Donald skits. Tom Hanks is always enjoyable. The Halloween skit with the three friends was pretty funny, and although I don't listen to her, Lady Gaga's performance was great!

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Trump, I think.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Funniest cartoon I've seen this week had Trump angrily watching "Trump" on TV and saying "This is absurd! Alec Baldwin has gone too far!" Someone next to him says "That's not Alec Baldwin."

I thought this was the best show of the season so far. I credit Hanks for the most part, and anytime Leslie Jone shows up on Weekend Update is a good thing.

12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

"The best Baldwin brother: Stephen Baldwin" :laugh:

ex_mixer, Aggie87 and OldSoul like this.
  13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Aside from the Halloween block party sketch, i thought it was a pretty hilarious episode. Aidy lying on the ground with her privates showing :biglaugh:

14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Coming up:

11/5: Benedict Cumberbatch / Solange

11/12: Dave Chappelle / A Tribe Called Quest

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'm a little miffed that my TIVO randomly neglected to record the last new one before Halloween, as it reportedly had some good skits.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

They didn't have a new episode on 10/29 which was odd. The last new one was the week before with Tom Hanks - is that the one you're referring to?

seed_drill likes this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

As I recall, they change their schedule during election season. One more new episode in a row after the premiere, then a break.

chacha likes this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yes.

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My favorite bit from the episode-

Lownote30, Jrr, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Whole show was solid, though I just can't take anymore of the political skits at open. They run too long and I'm sick of them. But everything else was good with my favorites being A Girls Halloween, Black Jeopardy and the America's Funniest Pet Vidoes bit with Cecily and Kate as the French guest TV hostesses. Cecily's French accent cracks me up every time.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

You're talking about decades of tradition (not to mention ratings-inflating bits). They aren't going to drop the cold opens of this nature. Especially this year, when they hired Alex Baldwin for a very specific purpose.

But more broadly, yeah, I want this election to be over. Like, now.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I know they aren't going to drop them. I just wish they didn't run so long. Who ISN'T sick of all the election stuff at this point? If they insist on doing on, I wish they'd make it shorter and get on to other things.

Paper Wizard and DeeThomaz like this.
  23. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

That was one of the best SNL skits in years. A lot of it is hit and miss these days so I rarely laugh out loud but that one was right on.

24. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Yep. That skit and the Sully skit were my favorites with Hanks. The Girls Halloween night out short was hilarious too.

25. It was also legitimately "subversive" in a way I don't think SNL has been for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.