So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Wow, I'm also surprised this didn't chart better! I feel like I heard it so much back then - I'll have to check my AOR charts book later. I agree that "Mama" was an odd choice for a first single, but MTV played it and I always thought it was kind of oddly cool. Obviously "That's All" was the big hit from that self-titled album, but "Illegal Alien" was also released as a single here and, well...the less said about that one, the better!

Speaking of the album, I just don't understand why an artist/band would have a self-titled album in the middle of their career. Seems like only a debut album should be self-titled! Although, props to R.E.M. for creativity in regards to their Eponymous collection!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Genesis
    Yeah "Illegal Alien" is quite catchy however the adopted accents and the video make me cringe!

Surly and Grant like this.
  3. Juggsnelson

No problem....I just thought you were REALLY passionate about "Deep in the Motherlode"!!!:D

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Every time I hear it today, I stop and think about how dated and politically incorrect it is, considering the obvious accent used by the singer in relation to the lyrics. It makes me uncomfortable. I realize that it was the early 80s, and the band meant no malice, but still...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Genesis-Invisible Touch/The Last Domino
    This was their only #1 hit in the USA, reaching that position in 1986. This single fared about as well as the others from the Lp in the UK, only hitting a mediocre #15. It certainly is a catchy piece of work and I loved it immediately although I understand why some longtime fans abhorred it! The bassline really shines on this 45! My ex-wife always sang the lyric as "She seems to have a physical a-trac-shun"....she may be (is) crazy, but try it.....it does totally sound like it!
    [​IMG]

c-eling, Surly, Grant and 2 others like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Genesis-Throwing It All Away/Do the Neurotic (Non-LP)
    Another excellent ballad, this reached #4 in the USA and #22 in the UK in 1987. Although it sounds like a standard Collins composition it is actually mainly a Rutherford track. His layered guitar parts are a highlight. Great impassioned vocal from Phil here saves this from being too schmaltzy.
    [​IMG]

Surly, Dan Steely and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Genesis-In Too Deep/I'd Rather Be You )NON-LP)
    Written by Phil for the excellent film Mona Lisa, this track reached #3 in the USA and #19 in the UK in 1987. Pleasant enough but I always found this track a bit boring. Banks does turn in some fine playing here but that is about it for me.
    [​IMG]

Surly and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Genesis-Tonight, Tonight, Tonight/In the Glow of the Night
    This hit #3 in the USA and #18 in the UK. Some really interesting instrumental flourishes enliven this track. I also appreciate the different melodic phases that the song goes through. The highlight of this track for me is when it tears into the "And you keep tellin' me you're gonna help me, but ya don't" bit. To this day I am hard pressed to not think of Michelob Beer when hearing this! Same goes for "Don't You Know What the Night Can Do" although maybe that was Bud??
    [​IMG]

9. Juggsnelson

Genesis-Tell Me Why/Dreaming While You Sleep (LIVE) (Non-LP)
    This track reached #40 in the UK in 1993. Not an overtly obvious choice for a single, this mid-tempo track kind of meanders a bit and hardly makes an aural impact, even after repeated listens. Not a bad song at all but not likely to catch public attention based upon a radio snippet. Worth noting is Rutherford's Rickenbacker guitar figure which gives this track a bit of personality.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Agreed. A little too much sap for me on this one and it doesn't hold my interest either. Very popular though, still gets radio play today!

Surly and Juggsnelson like this.
  11. Juggsnelson

George and Gene-I've Got Five Dollars and It's Saturday Night/Wreck on the Highway
    The names refer to George Jones and Gene Pitney....interesting pairing huh? This track cracked the top 100 in 1965, reaching #99. These guys actually recorded two albums together and they are really great. If you dig one guy or the other you will find this pairing rewarding. Gene even pulls off a pretty decent country vibe.
    [​IMG]

12. Juggsnelson

Bobbie Gentry-Ode to Billie Joe/Mississippi Delta
    This was a deserved #1 hit in the USA in 1967. Whenever I hear it I am reminded of that old "Songs That Tell a Story" infomercial from Time Life. The lyrics really suck you right into the story from the get go.....What did "Bobbie" and Billie Joe throw off the bridge? Why did Billie Joe kill himself? These questions are not actually answered which has probably led to more discussion about the song than if Bobbie had neatly wrapped up the story. I love how talk of Billie Joe's death makes the entire family, save for Bobbie, hungry!
    [​IMG]

Mylene, Dan Steely and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  13. Juggsnelson

Georgia Satellites-Keep Your Hands to Yourself/Can't Stand the Pain
    This track reached #2 in the USA in 1986. I haven't listened to this Lp in ages and I keep meaning to.....tomorrow is the day! I admittedly didn't care for this track all that much initially but it really grew on me fast. This has some neat lyrics which are a Dan Baird staple. Baird has put out some great stuff including a live DVD from a few years back that kicks some serious butt.
    [​IMG]

14. Juggsnelson

Gerry and the Pacemakers-I'm the One/How Do You Do It?
    This only hit #82 in the USA in 194 but in the UK it went all the way to #2! I like a few of their singles but this one is just average to me.
    [​IMG]

15. Juggsnelson

Gerry and the Pacemakers-I'll Be There/You You You
    This hit #14 in the USA and #15 in the UK in 1965. I really like the vocal and the string arrangement on this track. Lights off with a glass of wine is the way to slip into this track. It reminds me a bit of the melody from San Francisco by Scott Mackenzie.
    [​IMG]

16. Juggsnelson

Andy Gibb-I Just Want to Be Your Everything/In the End
    A #1 hit in the USA and a paltry #26 showing in the UK in 1977/78. Written by Barry Gibb, who also adds background vocals, this track sounds just like the Bee Gees songs of the era....which I LOVE! It cracks me up how Barry always manages to take over the songs he writes/produces for other artists. Joe Walsh contributes some guitar as well!
    [​IMG]

Mylene, druboogie, Grant and 3 others like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Andy Gibb-(Love Is) Thicker Than Water/Words and Music
    A co-write between Andy and Barry, this reached #1 in the USA in 1978. This was part of Barry's record setting streak of writing 4 consecutive #1 USA hits. A bit more menacing sounding than Andy's other singles. It does meander a bit at the end. I rarely hear this track anywhere today. Joe Walsh once again contributes some fine guitar.
    [​IMG]

Fullbug, druboogie, Grant and 3 others like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Andy Gibb-Shadow Dancing/Let It Be Me (Japanese Pressing)
    This track penned by all 4 Brothers Gibb hit #1 in the USA and #42 in the UK in 1978. This one grabs you right from the get go with the string/synth figure and then it gets a bit funky! Barry supplies some instantly recognizable background vocals. I would have liked to see what Maurice would have done with the groovy bassline.
    [​IMG]r

Mylene, druboogie, Grant and 2 others like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Andy Gibb-An Everlasting Love/Flowing Rivers
    Another tune penned by Barry Gibb, this hit #5 in the USA and #10 in the UK in 1978. Who is that on the falsetto vocal.....yes, It's Barry....again! This one just lacks a big hook for me in the chorus. Factoid that I admittedly just read about: "An Everlasting Love" is the inscription on Andy's headstone.
    [​IMG]

Mylene, Grant and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  20. Juggsnelson

Andy Gibb-(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away PROMO
    This is my fave Andy tune by far! When I saw Barry in concert last year, this was the song he played to honor Andy. This hit #9 in the USA and #32 in the UK. This version blows away the Bee Gees version recorded earlier IMHO. A fantastic vocal by Andy. How can you not love the chorus on this track???
    [​IMG]

21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

"Sexual Healing" appeared in an extended version on a U.S. promo ("Long Version") and U.K. 12" single ("Club Mix") according to Discogs. Unfortunately, I do not have either of these. There is also a 9 1/2 minute edit of the extended and instrumental versions that Ben Liebrand created for his Grand 12-Inches series appears on volume 5. I have this one.

Grant, druboogie and Juggsnelson like this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Great info Ascot! Maybe I was thinking of the promo 12". I definitely remember a version with different background vocals.

23. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Such a great track!

Fullbug and Juggsnelson like this.
  24. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Im also on the BeeGees bandwagon, including all these songs you posted. Barry was a hit machine then.
    Do you have this one that he completely TOOK OVER? Samantha Sang couldnt really hold her own. But my Dad used to have this one and turned me onto it when I was a wee toddler.

[​IMG]

Fullbug and Juggsnelson like this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Yep I've got a copy and I love it!! Yeah Barry just bum-rushes Samantha during the "In the words of a broken heart" bit!!!:)

Fullbug and druboogie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.