Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Jazzphile32

Jazzphile32 Forum Resident

Yes, the reissue is stereo. It's panned quite heavily, piano in the right speaker and brass to the left.

Thanks for the info about the mono.

2. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

rxcory, asindc, JoelWat and 3 others like this.
  3. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

Hi

I just noticed I've been charged for my 33's subscription for an amount which covers 4 LP, so it seems they're much ahead of their plans, anyone else ?

4. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Did you get a shipping notice for 4 LP's ?

6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

7. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

There were some reviews a few pages back.

JoelWat likes this.
  9. Jazzphile32

Just put the Save20 sale to use.... Inner Urge, One Step Beyond, and Point of Departure (33) on the way

Gabe Walters and scotth like this.
  10. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

Hi

in reply to John D, no shipping notice, but my bank account has been debited, I sent an email to Lori, but it's the WE so I expect an answer within the next days

11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Is the Elusive Disc sale over? Code? I didn't see a banner ad, as they had previously.

12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

SAVE20, I believe... I entered it earlier and seemed to work. I think it's good until later tonight.

Cassius likes this.
  13. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

...and the SAVE20 code continues to work today for those on the fence about grabbing some more of these.

14. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Clay, I'm curious if you've done any comparisons between these and early originals / Liberty issues?

15. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

For the most part I have a hard time not going with the MM reissue the majority of the time, particularly with the 60's RVG recordings. For the 50's stuff / 1500 series I have a hard time not wanting to own and enjoy both due to the freshness and immediacy (ok compression perhaps) that make those originals so special. Bear in mind I'm making a very conscious effort to as ruthless as possible to avoid duplicates these days, and am not one of those folks who dismiss Rudy's originals on principle alone.

In terms of Liberty pressings vs earlier 60s pressings: to my ears I hear no difference between the orig label copies and the later 60s and early 70s reissues. As long as they have the exact same RVG stampers. I know that many of the experts and folks at the LJC blog feel differently, but that's what I hear.

Bryce, rxcory, wellers73 and 5 others like this.
  16. Jazzphile32

No, it says Earl Brown on the jacket

17. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

just had to mail Lori, as I've got a couple of unexpected monster bills coming out in the next couple of days and wasn't sure whether I'd have the required funds for this crap AND the beautiful, beautiful records.

asked if it would be ok to hold shipping for a week or so. 'no problem at all!'

what a great, great bunch of guys over at Music Matters, huh

David Ellis and HappyCycler like this.
  18. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

Just added 5 more today (god bless pay day)

Thoughts on these ones?

Donald Byrd - Byrd in Hand

Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk

Johnny Griffin - A Blowin' Session

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

Jackie McClean - One Step Beyond

19. Gabe Walters

One Step Beyond and The Real McCoy feature brilliant post-bop compositions. A Blowin' Session is solid hard bop, and notable for the presence of John Coltrane. I've not heard the Donald Byrd titles, myself.

HappyCycler likes this.
  20. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The Donald Byrd albums are great and are notable for Pepper Adams on Baritone, giving them a distinctive sound. The other titles are equally great. The McCoy Tyner is a classic.

Bryce, GreatTone, puelche and 2 others like this.
  21. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

Do any of the above sound particularly exceptional?

22. Gabe Walters

The sound on One Step Beyond is to die for, especially Tony Williams' drums and Bobby Hutcherson's vibes.

GreatTone and HappyCycler like this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Thanks, I've been curious about those Byrd titles. I might start with Royal Flush, though, because I'm a huge Herbie Hancock fan.

24. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Seems like every MM BN with Tony Williams has killer drum sound. Or maybe that's just that he always sounds killer....

musictoad, s m @, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  25. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Man, Into Somethin' is really something. Relaxed and groovy. All the guys here work so well together, especially Green and Rivers who I think really add a special layer to these tunes. I noticed that on this 45 the sides are still rather long. The original LP must sound pretty compressed by comparison. This one is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Tommyboy, johnt23, PauGasmall and 3 others like this.