Blu ray player/Smart TV/2 Channel audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

I have a blu ray player connected to my Samsung tv via an hdmi lead. On the back of the tv set I have a bank of audio rca outputs: L,R and four different coloured outputs....can I just use the L/R connections to my aux input of my amp to listen via my speakers? I f not,is there some way I could my usb dac(the blu rayer has a usb port) to deiver sounds via my speakers? It's no big deal,but the Samsung on board speakers leave a lot to be desired when watching/listening to concerts on dvd or blu ray discs....sorry if the answers should be obvious to the average 12 year old,but I passed that milestone many many years ago:)

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Yes; use the L/R connections, and then mute the TV sound. Don't forget to set the blu-ray player to output stereo instead of surround, so you don't lose anything.

frimleygreener likes this.
  3. frimleygreener

Thanks! things are rarely that simple:)....will I have to reconfigure any tv sound settings to use the rca "out" connections?

4. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Just a thought ..are you sure RCA are Outputs and not Inputs.. Hope you sorted it though..i think most flat screen TVs have pants sound..

atb

5. frimleygreener

I will have to take another look:( Just when I thought it was going to be a doddle)!

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Hopefully your receiver/TV have the optional the “Optical” cable which is far superior to the RCA cables. does your receiver have HDMI inputs??

7. frimleygreener

No. Just rca inputs.Life is never easy:)

8. CrazyCatz

What other connections are on TV? Does it have a mini jack(headphone) if so could use a mini jack>rca lead..if not maybe a HDMI audio splitter box(I can't say how good theses are) also as Bingo Bongo says look for Optical Output.. I ended up using headphone line(and changing settings on TV from headphone>Line) I've got Optical on TV but 70s Amp hasn't..

atb

9. frimleygreener

It does have a headphone jack..and I have a cable I use with my usb dac....jack plug in to the device,splits into L/R rca leads....would this be the better and easier option?

CrazyCatz likes this.
  10. CrazyCatz

Hiya, I couldn't say about better, but it was only option for Me at time(70s Amp) if you have Modern Amp/Receiver then Optical would probably be best, but Headphone to RCA L/R should give you Stereo and most importantly BIGGER Sound, I couldn't watch a New TV with built in speakers..would make viewing experience Horrible.. Hopefully you'll have sorted it shortly..

atb

11. frimleygreener

As soon as "She who must be obeyed" pops out in a little while:)

CrazyCatz likes this.
  12. frimleygreener

Thanks all...the "headphone to rca" method works....not had time to evaluate the results yet(She who must be obeyed waving tv remote control about in demented fashion dictated that:) )

CrazyCatz likes this.
  13. frimleygreener

I knew there would be a problem:)
    Scenario "A": headphones(good quality AKG'S) plugged into the headphone socket on the tv....tv sound muted,but still uses tv volume control to set listening level(to be expected,and no problem whatsoever)
    Scenario "B" : I take a similar lead(I think) that I use to connect my usb dac to my main system: result? Main speakers are fed,but tv sound still present,and once again listening levels dependant upon tv volume. That means that I can still hear the "tinny" tv speakers in tandem with my main speakers,which rather defeats the object of the exercise.Perhaps I have missed something glaringly obvious(again!)..any tips gladly taken on board!

14. CrazyCatz

Hiya frimleygreener, what Model No. is tha Samsung TV you have? In TV menu do you have Options>System>Audio/Picture..maybe have to change settings?.. Apologies if you've been through theses steps. ..like i said I had to change Headphone to Line on mine, though tha could be exclusive to my JMB(cheap Ass TV,awful speakers..like most) brb :D

[​IMG]temporary image hosting

Summat like tha above might be tha Answer? Vary in price from £12 upwards, I would do search on Amazon(or here) for peeps tha have purchased and experience they had with product.

arb

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  15. frimleygreener

Thanks for that..I have yet to explore the tv (Samsung UE 40ES 5500 "Smart tv") sound menu....perhaps there is a special setting...as said, headphone "out" from tv mutes tv sound as expected,but using the "dac" cable sends music to speakers as required,but does not mute tv speakers.
    Thanks for the advice and help,greatly appreciated!

16. frimleygreener

That looks good....will have a look in a local Maplins to see if they do anything like:)

17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Buy an optical cable and connect if from the optical out on your TV to the optical in on your DAC. If your DAC lacks this input buy the FiiO Taishan D03K for £20 and go: TV > Optical cable > Do3K > Amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.