The Absolute Best Cartridge for an Audio Technica LP120 TT?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marcob1963, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Crusader

The Crusader New Member

Hi guys, I like the "sound" of the M97xE/Jico SAS combo. Just to clarify as I am new at this, is this the cartridge/stylus combo?

2. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

It is a great combo. I now use a Denon DL 110, but I loved that combo. You buy the Shure cartridge then the JICO SAS stylus separately.

3. The Crusader

The Crusader New Member

Thanks for the reply. Why did you go for the Denon DL 110?

4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

This confuses me a bit. I have a Shure m97ex attached to an Audio Technica standard headshell. I think this sounds out of this world fantastic. Are you talking about using the Shure cartridge but replacing the stylus with a JICO SAS? Also, it seems that is a $300 plus stylus, yikes! I am sure it does sound incredible!

5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Sorry, did not see this post which answers my question. Unfortunately a bit out of my price range.

6. PIEP

PIEP Well-Known Member

How much is the mass of AT arm ? Than you can choose the cartridge compliance ...

7. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

Me either, The AT440MLA/B has been my cartridge of choice for a few years, Never ever have I found it to be bright on my Technics SL1210 MK2.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  8. Dr. Metal MD

You are correct. It is an expensive stylus replacement, but the sound quality improvement is quite a lot! If you love how it sounds, then just keep listening to it!

9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

AT150MLX with some capacitance plugs if you want to tame it a bit. I absolutely love this cart.

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Congrats on the TT upgrade Dr Metal !!!:cheers: Odd choice of cart for the genre though (strictly IMHO, of course)

11. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I had that combo and didn't like it, it just sounded too reserved for me. I even preferred the default AT95e that comes with the AT-LP120 to the Shure. Whatever sounds good to you though! When I get some extra money, I intend to get a AT440MLB.

12. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since starting this thread, I have purchased and worn in the AT440mla. I'm absolutely loving it! It was bright out of the box, but not unbearably so, that settled at 20-40 hours. Then when it wore in, at about 100 hours, great sound & detail, lively with a good tonal balance.

I think that with the AT440mla, what some call brightness others may consider accurate detail. I haven't heard the Shure MX/Jico combo on a AT LP120, but surely when carts/stylus are similar, brand synergy is preferable?

Curious to hear from people who have the AT440mlb or AT150mlx on an AT LP120. How is that combination?

13. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks Waxfreak. I have since upgraded my cartridge to a Denon DL 110 that I absolutely love and I think it pairs better with my setup than the JICO SAS did.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.