Is it too early for Christmas music???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edvj

edvj Forum Resident

Santas starts preparing in july:D

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

It kinda ruins it for me seeing Xmas related stuff released in October, even though I love Xmas music I would rather wait until the weather gets colder and of course until Halloween is over. For now I don't mind listening to some vocal jazz and folk mixing it up with some psychobilly music :).

3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

At warehouse level,Valentine stuff starts arriving about now. During the recent strike at Just Born Candy,makers of the iconic Peeps,reports were that Easter Peeps were already done.

4. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

Too early. I'm still on Halloween music.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

How about some of this?

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

And my favorite:

7. If you're listening at home no. Anytime you want is cool. If it's a radio station or in the office, then yes it's too early.

8. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Anytime before Dec 12 is too early for me

9. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

Yeah, I meant Xmas music being released during this month, though I will be getting the new She & Him album this weekend.

10. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

A couple of businesses near me have "seasonal" white lights on the roof. I can see getting'em up before the weather turns crap, that doesn't mean you have to turn them on.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  11. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I started my purchases for the 2016 season by picking up the new Sarah Mclachlan Christmas album from Barnes and Noble last Friday and got the new Loretta Lynn Christmas Album off Amazon last week... haven't listened to them yet.
    I did have some Christmas stuff going on yesterday... I have some old VHS tapes that never made it to DVD that I wanted to convert so I have them in case the tape starts to deteriorate... Macrovision is a f'ing bitch, but I was able to get two out of three done... the third one is a disney vhs... they must have thrown some hardcore super-duper protection on their stuff back in the day.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  12. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

A Christmas song I've played all year for years is John & Yoko's "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)", because it is included in so many compilations.

13. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Ha! I PLAY CHRISTMAS MUSIC IN JULY!

If it is D+GOOD music, there is no better season for it than NOW!

A very nice instrumental album or two mostly...when you need a break from the syrupy kids stuff...

Paul Sullivan (of The Paul Winter Consort)..hope to see him in Boothbay Harbor on Dec 1oth.

George Winston's December always...though I have it on now, my wife doesn't like to hear this until Thanksgiving!
    Thanksgiving »

So I just play Autumn...
    Autumn »

Just lean back and enjoy the fall colors...relax and float downstream...

:cool:

phish and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Back when new Christmas music buying was purely physical ,it needed a little time to incubate in the stores. Having new material in October was the norm,as catalog(ghosts from Christmas past) was shipped in late September. Always a few surprises over the retail history. Two examples that had the manufacturers playing catch up:The Chipmunks' Christmas Song in 1958 and the 1995 Savatage "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" single,which most know today under the name Trans Siberian Orchestra. As for the Savatage single,even Atlantic Records didn't prepare for what happened in 1994,when AOR stations played it and it crossed over immediately to mainstream stations. Suddenly,in mid-December,everyone wanted something that had stopped pressing weeks prior. Between the two-week hiatus that Billboard took on charts and the music bosses taking extended time off during Christmas,the last thing they really want is a reason to come off the ski slopes and go to work,especially when there is no chart presence to show for their work. They are not the only business fearing a December Surprise as opposed to an October Surprise.

TeacFan likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon)...for a rather different Christmas vision...quite wonderful

16. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

that answer is perfect, just perfect.

mmars982 and pickwick33 like this.
  17. lemonade kid

I will say that I never play traditional Christmas music until Thanksgiving. My mother AWAYS put up her tree (you know, the kind that comes in a box) and decorations on Thanksgiving Eve and the following weekend. A tradition...and yes, the Holiday music was on non-stop. Then came the non-stop baking of the Christmas cookies for the next few weeks....she would send us maybe ten or twelve pounds of cookies via UPS every year...miss those treats.

Though in our home now, we never play any Holiday music or decorate until Dec 10TH!! Hate it when the stores start displaying Christmas stuff in September!! Damn!

And I agree, if it's just in your own ears, anytime is cool for Holiday music...but we can't assault others' ears where it is unwelcome...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  18. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

A couple homes near me have had their Christmas lights up for weeks now!

19. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

For me, Christmas music is good anytime I feel like it. If I get the summertime urge to hear "Sock It To Me Santa" by Bob Seger & the Last Heard, I don't want to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to play it. The best holiday music is timeless like that.

HOWEVER...it's a good bet I won't be listening to any holiday tunes in January or February, believe that...

lemonade kid likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

Too true!!

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Yes. Gort, please close thread immediately!

22. lemonade kid

You wouldn't be that Townsend aka the Grinch we've all heard about?!

:cop: BUSTED!

23. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I also have a couple near me that put up both Halloween and then Xmas lights, using some of the same strings. This year there doesn't seem to be any difference.

24. lemonade kid

Ha! Very cool! If it makes you happy...!

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I've picked up four Christmas LPs so far this season (Loretta Lynn, Sarah McLachlan, James Taylor, and Idina Menzel). I cannot bring myself to play them until after Halloween!

I think the She & Him is due this week, so that will be another to add to the listening pile for November 1st!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.