$100K Sound Systems ???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David756

David756 Active Member

I don't care about watches :(

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Almost as tacky as boasting about how much you spent on something.

3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Well I've got a £5 watch and it's way cooler than that Rolex. 100K yeh imagine I could if money was available, surely it's what does your system cost relative to your annual income.

Cars bore me so there's a big contribution, daughter's a big impediment though!

4. RJJETS

RJJETS Forum Resident

100k would only get the speakers I want!

TommyTunes and thesisinbold like this.
  5. I really don't know. The way my mind works I would have to think it through and include all sides.
    For instance, lets just say I do have the means to purchase the $100K system. This would first mean I have far in excess of $100K in disposable funds. I would not be in any debt for any reason. Other things would have already occurred. Things like family trips, helpful gestures to close friends, investments made and so on. Next would be the troubling add ons that come with this purchase. If I am buying a truly worthy $100K system I am NOT putting it in the compromise of a room I now use for listening. With that in mind I can envision spending another $100K+ renovating my exhisting home, or moving, so I have a proper area to fully enjoy the great system. I can guarantee if I were to build a special room to house my special system the wife would also be receiving some special treatments along the way too...and so would my kid. This means going from where I am now to a $100K system may end up costing me near $400K, or more, and that changes the outcome a bit...So I better win a dang big lottery in order to make this happen.
    With all that in mind I would need to have WELL in excess of $100K in discretionary funds to justify spending that amount on an audio system.
    Don't forget the upgrades, oh my gawd the upgradeitis I would have with that kind of money.

poidog likes this.
  6. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

What music needs a system that expensive? Oh I guess that's a question for the dealer.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Of course. Regardless of one's commitment to this hobby, failure to acknowledge the other, more important things in life would be pathological.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I never really felt I knew how bad St. Anger sounded until I heard it over a $100,000 sound system. Turns out, it's pretty bad.

9. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

That watch is for telling time. A Rolex is jewelry. You can be assured that a person wearing a $7500 watch doesn't have to be anywhere at any particular time! A bit ironic.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Are you kidding me? 3 o'clock when the markets close. The 6:34 at Churchill Downs. A 10PM with Miss Natasha. Places to go - people to meet. My calendar is chock 'a block.

11. Pastafarian

Well that's the issue of subjectivity and personal preference, as I said my watch is better piece of jewelry (cooler), it's also very accurate. I'd be embarrassed to were that piece of bling, however some peoples reaction to my 100K system may embarrass me as well.

At least the system would/should sound better than a $100 system

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  12. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Sorry this isn't quite right. Only a quartz Rolex (most are NOT quartz) could be considered jewelry. Fine made fully mechanical watches are works of art. Also, we all need to watch the time, no matter how rich.:)

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. Pastafarian

Problem solved:

Mal likes this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

If I came into the sort of money that meant that I could drop $100,000 into a hifi system without concern I'm not sure that I would do it. Certainly, I would like to be able to get the stereo beyond my dreams. However, I'm aware that there are limits to my hearing (ignoring any hearing loss). I would be happy to buy a system that was to my limit of my audio discrimination; anything beyond that is pure waste. And there are plenty of good causes who could use that money so I would rather not waste it on audio that I can't appreciate.

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

My watch. Battery lasts for years. Eat that Apple!

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Pastafarian

I don't buy the "my hearing loss" argument, unless you can't tell the emotional difference between hearing a band/orchestre live and your HI-Fi system. It's the put down from those who're convinced you've wasted your money, don't fall for it

17. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Right on.

"It's not the man that has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor" - Seneca

izgoblin and qwerty like this.
  18. Pastafarian

A piece of Roman propaganda to pacify the slaves:realmad:

sublemon likes this.
  19. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

The whole situation gets a whole lot worse if you're a violinist. My least valuable "axe" is worth about $60k, the next one up the totem pole comes in at nearly $100k and the the most valuable at closer to $200k. I think of them as an investment that earns me money two ways. I make money using them and they keep right on appreciating while I do so.

My audio gear is on a whole 'nother (lower) scale but still manages to sound really quite good. The main system is tube: Anthem Pre-1 (Sonic Frontiers), Conrad Johnson MV-45 power amp, a couple of nice tuners (one tube), good CDP as transport with a nice CI DAC and power supply, a couple of Revox RTR decks, a Teac cassette deck, three rebuilt and considerably modded vintage turntables with good MC carts and a pair of Reference 3a mm de Capo speakers on Target stands. All of that cost around $3k in total. Then there are the other five systems I have set up in various parts of the house, shop, garage and cottage. In truth, with all of the buying and selling of gear over the years I realistically have something on the order of $1,000 total actual money spent on balance on the lot.

I can certainly appreciate a fine $100k system and have heard a few over the years. My Scots heritage would seriously quail at the notion of actually forking over that kind of money, though. I've greatly preferred my little system to most of the expensive combinations I've heard in shops, though. The magic of some synergy put together by trial and error over time cannot be discounted.

LeeS and Metralla like this.
  20. Pastafarian

I bought, most of, my system 30 years ago, it cost around 2X my annual income, as a student, working horrible hours in an horrendous job.

100K would work out at around 10$ per week, I can easily spend double that on a night out, depends on what you enjoy and afford, personal choice. I don't think I can knock that, even though it's well beyond my means

21. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

$10 per week for 200 years? :shrug:

SirMarc and Juan Matus like this.
  22. Pastafarian

I meant per day and people I know who go out in Manchester spend up to £70 per night! God knows what that means for those in the U.S., with the £ crashing after Brexit

23. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

$10 per day = $3650.oo in a year. That's not going to get you very far. Even at $100 per day you're talking three years to get to 100k

24. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Saving for 35 years to buy a stereo sounds pretty crazy to me.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. Pastafarian

My premise was buy and that's how it works out, of course you've got to be a merchant banker or the soul of the earth ,which means the same thing:unhunh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.