2015 Genesis Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are these any different from the sub-par vinyl and SACD boxes that came out a few years ago?

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I believe they are remastered....but they are still using those terrible Nick Davis remixes .

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I just finished playing "wind" and "trick" brand new vinyl just reissued. Could be peel offs from the box set, not sure. They are on the Charisma label with Rhino and Atlantic credits. Half speed mastered, 180gm vinyl and they are the '05 Nick Davis remastered.
    However they sound fantastic! Expectations far exceeded.

4. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

When you use the term "sub par", to what aspect of these releases are you referring? I assume the mix. I do not have a problem with the mixes at all, personally, and in every other respect both the vinyl and SACD boxes are excellent (in my opinion), in terms of sound/pressing quality and packaging.

avanti1960 likes this.
  5. Wuther

Wuther Prog Rock Explorer

Has recently bought "A Trick", "Wind", & "...and then there were three..." US releases. The mixes are fine to me, except for "A Trick" where the voices sound weird, not present enough sometimes... Do not like the sleeves quality of "A Trick" and "Wind" as well which are made on a really poor quality paper. Has everyone got the same problems with sleeves?... Although, the pressing and sound quality is generally superb.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  6. Wuther

Duke (2015 Atlantic/Rhino/Charisma reissue) came in yesterday from Amazon. The sound, the pressing, and the sleeve - everything is AMAZING!! The mix sounds just like the original one to me. Any differences (if any) are not really substantial.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They are same as the box set. I found these excellent sounding and though from the remix at least make an interesting alternative to the originals plus the only good vinyl version of Duke. The issues with the SACD were likely due to the obligatory loudness wars compression on any major digital release. The news is that the remixes on at least these titles are fine when well mastered. The sleeves are quite well done by modern standards though the Gatefolds could have used thicker card. BTW these are half-speed mastered at Abbey Road. I am now looking forward to the 3rd box which includes the 3 sided Calling All Stations LP.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Are they much better than the US originals? I have found those for less than $3.

whistler likes this.
  9. Wuther

Those are most likely beat up or something. ... The new mixes are different, for sure. The most different sound, IMHO, has A Trick Of The Tail with respect to the vocals, mostly. However, the overall sound of the new releases is wider, it contains some surprising details which were sometimes inaudible in original mixes.

jimhb likes this.
  10. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

The Rhino/Atlantic releases of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England pressed at Pallas in Germany are stellar compared to the UK/Charisma release and/or the 1970-1975 box. Hopefully they release The Lamb like that on the Atlantic/Rhino label. I highly recommend these. The vinyl quality and overall sound is just incredible. Like hearing them for the first time.
    I have the 1976-1982 box and the only decent sounding album in that bunch is Abacab. I LOVE the N.Davis remixes but whoever mastered the vinyl on the UK box did theee most terrible job. It's Not a Nick Davis issue at all. The remixes sound great, clean and more detailed dynamics. I wish everyone would stop harping on him because the remixes are not the problem. Duke and And Then There Were Three are just a block of noise. Again the mixes are fine but the mastering/compression is just God awful. I hope the 5 titles are equal to the 3 earlier mentioned. Sounds like they are by everyone's comments. I will try Duke first as a tester.
    Anyone get the 1983-1998 Boxset yet?? Thoughts??

Wuther likes this.
  11. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

This is a little off topic but I still feel like a noob here with a lot of the terminology. Is noise reduction the reason everyone hates the '94 remasters? Now that I'm listening to stuff closer and I have some different versions to test, that seems the problem to me with these, they're certainly not brickwalled like most remasters.

Back to topic, can't wait until Friday when I am going to pick up the new vinyl of SEBTP and W&W.

12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

13. Classicrock

I don't find the remixes of the post Gabriel material on half speed mastered vinyl sub par. Different at worst and in some cases better than the original pressings. (Duke, Wind And Wuthering, Invisible Touch, Seconds Out).

14. The Slipperman

Argh, would like to get that new Seconds Out but for some reason it's not released in North America even though all the others were.

15. Darrin Crawford

Seen it here many times in Ontario Canada

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

For all that I loved Genesis and loved vinyl growing up, Duke and Trick of the Tail were monumental fails for me on record. The remixes I had in all three boxsets, but found the excessive brightness hard to bear and they were sold on. I've bought enough Genesis over the years, many times over, but my preferred route for the band now are the CDs. Japan for USA Atco Trick, Duke and W&W all nailed those albums to a tee. Nice that the new vinyl sounds good though and sounds like they paste over the gaping cracks of the earlier disc releases from 2007, but not an investment I'll be making.

Joe Monteiro likes this.
  17. Classicrock

There was a thread on this - comments were not favourable. Get yourself the 70's Decca reissue retitled 'Rock Roots' (ROOTS1).

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/from-genesis-to-revelation-2015-vinyl-box.430575/

JP Christian and Shak Cohen like this.
  18. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

19. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

I like the Duke 180 gram vinyl LP of the Nick Davis remix. To me it finally sounds clean and isn't congested and excessively loud like the CD. Drums sound better too. Again, just my opinion.

Wuther likes this.
  20. Craig Adams

Craig Adams New Member

I'm hoping that someone can clear something up for me - In March 2015, Rhino announced on their website that Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound -AND- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway would be re-released including the aforementioned 180 gram vinyl. I have the Rhino/Atlantic releases of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England but I can't find The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway anywhere. In addition to web searches, I have been to three highly rated record shops in north central Texas and they all tell me the same thing and that is that there is no indication that it is available. So, I messaged Rhino through their Facebook page to enquire about the status and, rather than responding to me directly, they changed their webpage to redact all references to The Lamb. (http://www.rhino.com/article/doing-a-180-the-first-wave-of-genesis-reissues-hit-vinyl)

Does anyone have any idea about what is going on? Has anyone seen The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway from this 2015 Rhino reissue? Does anyone know about current availability?

The Slipperman likes this.
  21. The Slipperman

Even the band's own website shop doesn't list it but does have all the other ones you mentioned. It must have been canceled. Discogs lists a 2013 European issue that appears to be the 2008 mix on LP. I would be happy to get the Lamb CD/DVD single release from the 1970-74 boxset but that never came out either.

22. Arlo69

Arlo69 Well-Known Member

Darrin, did you get any of the later releases? I would appreciate any feedback on the titles you have. I bought the 2008 UK Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Lamb but found them far too bright and compressed, and don't want to waste my time hunting around for US Rhino reissues (hard to find and expensive) unless they are substantially better sounding. I have found a copy of Duke but at £25 it would need to be pretty good!

Slightly off topic; there are 2016 UK reissues coming out any time now, but I can't find any information about whether the mastering is the same as 2008 or not or whether it is half speed etc.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  23. Darrin Crawford

I only
    I did get the original 2008 release boxes and I was not overly impressive. However when the Rhino 1/2 speed masters came out individually I grabbed those and to me they were like night and day. Unfortunately' The Lamb and Trespass never made it to this reissue series so I still have my 2008 copies from the box.
    Yes' they are resisting everything once again at this month and to be honest I will still seek out the red box as it's known for the 1/2 speed mastering process.
    These new ones?? Not so sure how they were done or who is cutting it.
    Basically I would go like this.
    Tresspass Go for the 2012 reissue from the Green box.
    Nursery Cryme - Selling Go for the Rhinos 1/2 speeds.
    The Lamb....go for the green box OR wait and see what end of Oct brings.
    Trick, box is terrible go for 2014 Rhino 1/2 speed OR an MFSL or an Atco version.
    Wuthering stay with the Rhino 1^2 speed.
    Then There Were Three. Go for an original, Jap, Germ, American or UK.
    Duke, Same as Three.
    To me Trick, Then There Were Three and Duke turned out horrific from the boxes. They did "slightly" ok with the Rhino 1/2 remasters but unfortunately too much compression for my tastes. However, they did an incredible job on the remixing.
    Just my .85 cents.

24. Arlo69

Arlo69 Well-Known Member

Cheers for that it gives a good place to start; just need to see if I can get hold of the Rhino 1/2 speeds here in the uk

25. Darrin Crawford

Yes it's best to get those rather than the U.K. reissues. Try online. They are still readily available. Good Luck! !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.