Less Is More: The Abridged Album Appreciation Thread"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeyLizard, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident Thread Starter

What got me thinking is the later version of John Coltrane's The Believer that appears on the Black Pearls prestige 2-fer.

The original was cobbled together using tracks from a legendary Coltrane session and filled out with a couple recordings from the Ray Draper Quintet (featuring Coltrane).

The later version simply drops the 2 Draper tracks.

Any albums where you honestly prefer the abridged version, and why?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Madonna's "Erotica". The "clean" version drops this POS:

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  3. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The U.S. version of the Beatles' Rubber Soul. It has 10 of the 14 songs fron the U.K. version plus two holdovers from the U.K. Help! ... and it works extremely well.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Suffered massive Blue Monday burnout, So having the original track list on compact disc and lp is kind of nice
    New Order-Power, Corruption & Lies, 1983

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  5. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Live at Leeds original album

Culpa, MonkeyLizard and joelee like this.
  6. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

Totally agree. I have been wondering if there is a thread devoted to "when more is not more." The original Leeds LP packs such a sonic wallop of greatness that I have recreated it from the 90s extended version on CD in my iTunes. Expanded editions of John Barleycorn Must Die are also inferior to the original (imho).

rgutter and MonkeyLizard like this.
  7. MonkeyLizard

Ironically, (considering I started this thread) my introduction to Live At Leeds (and The Who in general) was the cd version. So, naturally I can't live without that Heaven and Hell opener, Amazing Journey/Sparks, and that beautiful segue into Tattoo.

Love a good self-thread crap.

drasil, Zack, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Les Baxter's Le Sacre du Sauvage hangs together much better in its original 10" album form. Of the four tracks added when it was expanded to an album, only one of the four tracks is thematically related to the rest of the suite. Having said this, "Sophisticated Savage" is one of my favorite Les Baxter compositions ever, but it is best heard in another context.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  9. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I very much prefer the 'Highlights' version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. It cuts out a lot of the long passages that make the original version drag a bit in my opinion.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  10. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I think Highlights from "The Nutcracker" are more enjoyable than sprawling two disc sets.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Actually, the original 1964 release of The Believer only had three tracks: "The Believer," "Nakatini Serenade," and "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful." It was about 30 minutes long. The two Draper tracks ("Filidia" and "Paul's Pal" IIRC) were bonuses added to the OJC CD release in 1996. With very, very few exceptions, those 70s Prestige twofers reproduced the original albums exactly as they had been released in the first place. The Draper Quintet tracks were from a different album altogether, originally released in about 1960.

That being said, there was an edited version of that Draper LP issued in Europe in the early '60s. It was called Concentrated Coltrane, and it was a two-sided EP about 15 minutes in length. The first side deleted everything except Coltrane's solos, while the second side featured one complete track.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prestige and Impulse, among other labels, released many condensed versions of their albums for the European and jukebox markets, but this was a sort of unusual example of that practice. Usually they just dropped several tracks.

MonkeyLizard and DTK like this.
  12. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Hah. Let me try that one. As one who grew up with the original vinyl, I just loved the expanded version from '95, despite a few pointless overdubs that had me scratching my head. Ironically, then I hated the Deluxe edition that mucked up the song order.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  13. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

The version of Simple Minds' Sister Feelings Call included in the original twofer CD with Sons And Fascination ran a little long for early CDs, and so the label dropped League Of Nations (a minimalist jam that had originally been released as a throwaway B-Side for The American) and Sound In 70 Cities (the instrumental version of 70 Cities As Love Brings The Fall). Having loved the album from that twofer for years without knowledge of those tracks, when I finally heard the missing tracks I thought they were right to drop them as they messed up the flow and seemed unfinished, contributing to the 'outtakes album' image that Sister Feelings Call had compared to Sons And Fascination (which of course, was unfair, especially as its lead-off track Theme For Great Cities later became one of Simple Minds' signature tunes when picked up by club DJs).

MonkeyLizard and DTK like this.
  14. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Having heard the raw uncut Leeds performance, I agree with this, especially on My Gen where it was edited and cleaned up quite a bit, especially mixing out Daltry's obtrusive tambourine rattling during the Underture section. Also like the backwards crowd snippet during the intro on Magic Bus that replaces some less-than-stellar Townshend chord strumming.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  15. irong

irong Forum Resident

I suppose the CD tracklist of The Cure Disintegration is considered canonical, since they have mostly used it as the basis for live renditions of the album.

Nevertheless I prefer the album without "Last Dance" and "Homesick". I kind of like the latter, but the former to me is the least interesting track on the whole. It also brings the album to a more digestible 60 minutes in length.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  16. INSW

INSW Senior Member

The expanded one cd LAL is great. The double disc deluxe isn't.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  17. MonkeyLizard

Well snap. Thanks for clearing that up.:laugh:

Maggie likes this.
  18. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I prefer the 6-CD set of Dylan's The Bootleg Series 12: The Cutting Edge 1965–1966 over the unabridged 18-CD version.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  19. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

I still have not gotten any edition of The Cutting Edge. Was thinking I might just get the 2-CD, but am not leaning to the 6. I have not been able to keep pace with the multi-CD Dylan releases the past several years.

20. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

"now" leaning to the 6 CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.