New Willy Wonka movie in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

It's a shame they never made Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. A sequel with Gene Wilder would have been great.

The upcoming film has the potential to be interesting. I wonder who will play Willy Wonka.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'd rather see this upcoming than a third pass at Willy Wonka/Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

4. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I see Hollywood's not caring too much about recent accusations that they've entirely run out of ideas...

Harry Potter's team on this? No. Didn't anybody learn from Burton's disastrous remake?

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Wilder WAS Wonka. Some roles are not worth trying to play.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

It will be another piece of crap like the Johnny Depp one!

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked the Depp one. Most of it.

8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

My understanding is Roald Dahl disliked Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to the point that he refused to the sell the film rights to Great Glass Elevator and it might have been declared off limits in his will.

9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

True, but I still love to wonder how epic that film could've been if Roald Dahl's original choice of Spike Milligan was cast, but then, knowing old spike, it would've just been 90 minutes of large breasted women, cheap jokes and random bouts of blackface.

totmeyer likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

11. Oatsdad

Tim Burton remade Harry Potter?!?!? ;)

12. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

As is Harry Potter could get any worse. :laugh:

13. Oatsdad

I actually thought the Potter movies got better as they went along. Wasn't wild about the first few but felt the franchise became pretty good as it proceeded!

Can't say I'm excited about the upcoming "spin-off" movie, though - I'll see it but don't expect to be wild about it...

14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Not feeling positive vibes about this one, unless they get somebody totally inappropriate to portray Wonka. r

15. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I've read a few articles about Roald Dahl's dislike for the film. I don't think he liked that they turned it into a musical.

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's a shame for Dahl. How many writers can say the movie they made out of your book is one of the greatest and most loved movies ever.

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The Wilder version of Willy Wonka is an absolute classic, IMHO. The Johnny Depp version is an abomination - close your eyes and listen to his voice. Instead of Keith Richards impersonations, he used Michael Jackson as a model. Just wrong on so many levels.

goodiesguy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. Oatsdad

So you're saying a Keith-based Wonka would've been better? ;)

19. From Wikipedia:

Dahl disowned the film, the script of which was partially rewritten by David Seltzer after Dahl failed to meet deadlines. Dahl said he was "disappointed" because "he thought it placed too much emphasis on Willy Wonka and not enough on Charlie", as well as the casting of Gene Wilder instead of Spike Milligan.[27] He was also "infuriated" by the deviations in the plot Seltzer devised in his draft of the screenplay, including the conversion of Slugworth, a minor character in the book, into a spy (so that the movie could have a villain) and the "fizzy lifting drinks" scene

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  20. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

LOL

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The best thing about the Tim Burton version was Danny Elfman setting Dahl's lyrics. I loathed the Oompa-Loompas in the original, but Deep Roy was cool.

kevywevy and black sheriff like this.
  22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well, the first third of the movie featured only Charlie and no Wonka. But I do agree about the fizzy lifting scene not being kosher.

kevywevy likes this.
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes, Burton was responsible for the backstory that Wonka was the son of a dentist who'd refused to allow him to have candy, so he became a candy-maker as a response. Bleh, what a boring, uncreative and obvious "origin" story. If Dahl didn't like the 1971 film, I think it's safe to say he would have despised what Burton added to his story.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  24. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Cheers for the info.

I can understand why Roald Dahl was angry. It must be hard for an author when Hollywood folk change a story they created.

Still, I love the film. I'm glad we got Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, and I'm glad they made it into a musical. I can't imagine a world without this song:

25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

No. No he wasn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.