Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Going back to high school. . . .

[​IMG]

jeffsjazz and rxcory like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Gene Shaw - Debut N Blues (Argo) grey mono pressing.

Lonson likes this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Frank Morgan and the McCoy Tyner Trio - Major Changes (Contemporary)
    From 1987 with Avery Sharpe (b) and Louis Hayes (d) to round out the band. I've said it before but these Frank Morgan albums he made after beng released from prison are superb yet record store owners almost always devalue the lps because he's not well known to today's jazz fans. I've never paid more than five or six dollars for near mint lps. He made up lost time when he got out and turned out quite a few before he passed. At Discogs there is only one cd for sale, a Japanese cd that is priced at $65! However, there is a bunch of NM lps going for $7-10. I know which way I'd be going.;) https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1352602?ev=rb I discovered there are even more albums than I originally thought.

4. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Henry Grimes Trio-Live At The Kerala Jazz Festival (Ayler Records)
    [​IMG]
    Saw this one mentioned a couple of times uptread recently. It's a fine live document
    of Grimes, Drake and Murray.

Live music with spirit indeed!

Jgmh, Bobby Buckshot and Starwanderer like this.
  5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Uri Caine + Bedrock - Shelf-Life

[​IMG]

6. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

That's a great book that I need to revisit soon.

Gez likes this.
  7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Mingus - tijuana moods (RCA) Classic Records stereo reissue
    Now I see why I did 't remember Gene Shaw playing on this album. When I bought this I didn't know Clarence Shaw and Gene Shaw were the same people. I wasn't hip enough at the time. :laugh: This lp was part of the Tower sale at their overstock store for $10 when these were going for $30 everywhere else. Classic Records was not happy.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I like those Winter & Winter cases though they aren't great for traveling.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Larry Young In Paris (Resonance) double lp set.
    Double bonus with Nathan Davis, another under recorded artist. I wish someone would reissue some of his early albums like Happy Girl, The Hip Walk, Peace Treaty, etc. There is so much stuff that could get reissued that would sound fresh if people could just hear it.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Wes Mntgomery - The Alternative Wes Montgomery (Milestone) brown label
    Side one is leftover tracks from his live one in Berkeley with the Miles band which I have of course. There's never too much of that band! The other three sides are from the sessions that produced Bags Meets Wes, Tge Montgomery Brothers, Fusion! and Movin' Along. This is my favorite period of Wes. I'm not real keen on the commercial stuff that followed though I don't actively dislike it. I just don't buy it. I didn't discover this until a year or so ago so it was like
    Christmas time for me.

Bobby Buckshot and Lonson like this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

James Moody (Argo) orig. mono lp

Moody's one of the great jazz flautists though there are a few others I like equally if not more. Four horns plus a piano based rhythm section. It's not a grouping you hear much today. There's some meat on those bones!

Bobby Buckshot and Lonson like this.
  12. Lonson

13. gamma goochee

gamma goochee Forum Resident

It's not a bad problem to have, but I agree that you have to consider the long game. When I was a teenager I used to absorb as much as I could about the bands I was into. It was fun discovering your next interest organically through magazine articles or the staff at record stores. And countless older music lovers in my city's scene turned me on to some great stuff ("Oh, you like so-and-so? Well you'll love _______!") It was great. And manageable. Because in retrospect it was a trickle.

Since jazz became my main thing several years ago, I've found the mountain of information so much more overwhelming than rock was in my formative years. The sheer volume of all the albums recorded is one thing, but the web of players I'm interested in is daunting and seems to grow every day! Add something like Spotify into the mix and it's a full time job just satisfying your curiosity, let alone enjoying your favourites over and over again!

Of course I'm being dramatic for effect, and like I said, as problems go this one's not too bad, but I do find it tiring sometimes, in spite of myself. However, I'd hate to be accused of whining. I'm not. I think that we're in a golden age of sorts. But I think because we've found ourselves newly here, a lot of us still don't have the skills or perspective to just slow down and enjoy the ride. I'm working on it.

14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – World Broadcasting Series, Vol. 4a – Jan 1945 (Circle Records)
    — With Rex Stewart, c; Cat Anderson, Shelton Hemphill, Taft Jordan, t; Ray Nance, t, vn; Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, tb; Claude Jones, vtb; Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Johnny Hodges, as; Otto Hardwick, as, cl; Al Sears, ts; Harry Carney, bs, cl , bcl; Duke Ellington, p; Fred Guy g; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d; Al Hibbler, Kay Davis, voc
    — Titles include: Air Conditioned Jungle ('concerto' for Jimmy Hamilton), Frantic Fantasy ('concerto' for Rex Stewart), I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues, Bluetopia,

[​IMG]

rxcory, Starwanderer and Lonson like this.
  15. Lonson

These are really good discs. You've made me want to listen to mine. . . I think they must be in storage. Darn it, now I have to go off to storage!

Right now, not really jazz though there is a sort of "tribute to Jobim and Getz" segment here. . . . A fun release from Brazil!

[​IMG]

16. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um SACD

1. "Better Git It in Your Soul" – 7:23
    2. "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" – 5:44 (4:46)
    3. "Boogie Stop Shuffle" – 5:02 (3:41)
    4. "Self-Portrait in Three Colors" – 3:10
    5. "Open Letter to Duke" – 5:51 (4:56)
    6. "Bird Calls" – 6:17 (3:12)
    7. "Fables of Faubus" – 8:13
    8. "***** Cat Dues" – 9:14 (6:27)
    9. "Jelly Roll" – 6:17 (4:01)
    10. "Pedal Point Blues" – 6:30
    11. "GG Train" – 4:39
    12. "Girl of My Dreams" – 4:08

[​IMG]

17. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Anyone want to share your impressions of this? :)

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Charles MingusMingus Ah Um [from The Complete 1959 Columbia Recordings] (Columbia)
    — With John Handy, Booker Ervin, Shafi Hadi, Jimmy Knepper or Willie Dennis, Horace Parlan, Dannie Richmond; three bonus tunes; four pieces restored to full length

[​IMG]

One of his peaks!

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Good points. Like many subjects, the internet provides a dizzying amount of info out there and everyone has an opinion and many have their own soap box from which to disseminate from. As you say, in simpler times you got your info from word of mouth, magazines and books, some of which wasn't easy to acquire like today. Even after collecting and listening to jazz for decades I still discover jazz titles I've never seen before. So the music runs deep as you say but for me it is a blessing because I don't get bored.

NP Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond - Duets (Horizon/A&M)
    A beautiful album to wake up with, cup of Oolong in my hand. Bliss....

Lonson likes this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I haven't heard it in maybe 20 years or so but it didn't do much for me. I owned it for a short while at a time when I was buying and listening to a lot of Bill Evans so maybe it suffered in comparison to what I was listening to. There is a live album from much later with Stan Getz playing with Bill's trio from a European tour titled But Beautiful on Milestone. That's the one to get imho.

Electric likes this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm listening to the Freedom Jazz Dance by the Miles Davis Quintet, the latest Bootleg Series volume; session reels from the recording of Miles Smiles, Nefertiti and Miles In The Sky. Intriguing.

rxcory likes this.
  22. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

jeffsjazz and chervokas like this.
  23. gamma goochee

gamma goochee Forum Resident

Yes, as you say, one certainly doesn't get bored. I'm looking forward to continually discovering new jazz albums in the decades to come. I have had jazz in my collection since I was in my early twenties (I'm 41 now), but it hasn't become the predominant thing for me until a few years ago -- right around the time I started feeling as though I had mined the greater part of the '50s and '60s music that I had sought for two and a half decades. I was bored with music. It got down to chasing the finest minutiae, and the thrill of discovery had gone. Now I'm having a blast again!

24. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Listening to this as I have three nights of Matana Roberts ahead of me at Cafe Oto with different musicians every night.

Tues: MR + Alexander Hawkins (piano)
    Wed: MR + Leafcutter John (electronics) + Byron Wallen (trumpet)
    Thur: MR + Robert Mitchell (piano) + Neil Charles (bass) + Mark Sanders (drums)

[​IMG]

Jgmh likes this.
  25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Jon Lloyd Quartet: By Confusion

On hatART - recorded June 9th, 1996

Best and last of his mini-run of very interesting and what I hear as Braxton inspired recordings from the 90's. As with all of them, John Law is mind-blowing on piano and Mark Sanders is his brilliant self at the kit.

As much as I like the best of Anthony Braxton's jazz inspired music of the 80's & 90's - especially the classic quartet with Crispell, Dresser & Heningway - I've often found his music too esoteric and obtuse. So besides great sets like Willisau & Santa Cruz, I'd choose these Lloyd recording anytime despite Lloyd being the weakest improvisor in the band and no match in any way shape or form to what the master brings on reeds.

Lloyd's music is just a bit more joyous and beautiful than Anthony's and Law is a joy to hear. For me the most undervalued pianist I know of.

If you like this one, "Head" & "Syzgy" on Leo are worth searching out.

It's the best sounding care of the great Peter Pfister, the best jazz sound master/engineer of the 80's through the 90's.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    jay.dee, Jgmh and Starwanderer like this.