New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

This is always tricky, kind of an illusion more than anything else: thickness, flexibility, diameter, leading width...all adding to possibly having a false perception of the weight.

Just put it on a digital weight scale...

2. Audiocraze

Audiocraze Member

I just checked out Music Direct and they have DSOTM 2016 as a BM remaster. This will hopefully make a solid case for no North America funny business on this release.

3. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Seems stiff enough - maybe it's, like, some new heavy vinyl formula, man.

Dorian75 and SoreFinger like this.
  4. They don't sound thin/light.

Dbstay and SoreFinger like this.
  5. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

They sound great! And that goes for them all so far, though I know some felt Piper was missing a bit of bite in comparison to an original. There's none of the upper mid boost that marred some of the Zeppelins slightly - imo. Fingers crossed for the remaining few.

Pancat likes this.
  6. Norco74

High density grooves!

billy1, Hattipper and SoreFinger like this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thicker labels using lead-base inks.

Norco74, billy1 and Hattipper like this.
  8. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

That's good enough for me! Best to forget about it before I end up dropping one on the floor.:oops:

rontoon likes this.
  9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Is it really dead quiet? Have you listened to Side 2 on headphones? The left channel pressing flaw hiss is very noticeable on the first one I got from Amazon UK.

10. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

That's disappointing. I have one 'dispatched' from Amazon UK. Hope it's not got a left channel hiss.

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My replacement arrives on Wednesday., Fingers are crossed.

Norco74 and chrischerm like this.
  12. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Mine are crossed for you... and for me. :)

Ben Adams likes this.
  13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

So my good buds, I took your sound advice and ordered The Wall over the weekend. I got a notice that is was shipped today. I'm ready to hear what this new cut has to offer.

14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I'm waiting (read hoping) for it to drop lower on Amazon at some point. I'm watching it on camelcamelcamel. I had no interest in buying it, (I have a clean early US, and I hardly ever spin it) but the reviews are sucking me in.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm in the same boat. My only vinyl pressing is an original U.S. It sounds good but has some SN. I found one for less than $29 and thought, what the hey. I was impressed with my copy of Meddle.

16. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have never liked "The Wall" that much where I would invest close to $40.00 for another copy where I have a clean original already. It might be a better sounding record, but not my favorite. For that reason, I will pass on it.

17. Vinyl Addict

All my reissues have been UK, so I'm holding out for a UK press. Is that what you found?

18. Vinyl Addict

That's the way I feel about it also. I have my price watch set for $19.99. Wishful thinking I'm sure, but you never know with Amazon.

John Bliss likes this.
  19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

No, I actually found the 2016 from a place called soundcitybeaches. It seems sketchy cheap, so my fingers are crossed. A clean UK is probably the smart route. I've yet to come across one that was clean and in my cheap ass price range.

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I love the new Wall LP but if you've got a clean original, you don't need it. Generally if you've got a clean original of anything, getting a reissue LP is unnecessary. I spent about $50 on Black Sabbath Deluxe reissue LP's this year and what it taught me was that my old NEMS LP's from the 70's are much better than I thought. It wasn't a total waste though because my old Paranoid is crackly in parts, and the first LP is visually (though not audibly) off-center. I like the new ones, but they don't blow away the old ones. They're not bad, but they're not world-beater revelatory gems that make the old LP's irrelevant.

Joti Cover, hi_watt and tim185 like this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I got Piper and Saucerful for $16 apiece from soundcitybeaches and I am well satisfied with both of them. I'm hoping they sell some of the others at a similar price point.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm pretty sure I saw OBC and Meddle for around that price.

Vinyl Addict and dkmonroe like this.
  23. Norco74

First impressions from BG WYWH are excellent. Flat record, minimal SN and minimal disturbing arctifacts! Cardboard inner sleeve is a not a friendly audiophile concept. :shake:

Sonically. It's very opened and detailed, have smooth bass that are not muddy or getting out of control. Roger's bass is precise and easy to follow all over the album. Perhaps the guitar and hit-hat work all over SOYCD sounds a bit grainy on this version. Hearing Gilmour acoustic guitar vibrato on the title track intro is stunning. You can imagine the grin on his face while bending these strings on the fretboard... Welcome to the machine alternating left right speaker synth bass is clearer than ever. Have a cigar rendition sounds a bit odd to my ears. Perhaps too much highs and way too opened.

Thereafter, I respun the original 2011 DS version. Different beast but as excellent as BG IMH. I found the DS version less graining in some parts. From there, it's really a matter of taste.

Kyhl, Pancat, Vinyl Fan 1973 and 4 others like this.
  24. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

I hope so, because I ordered it...actually I ordered both since I don't have the 2011 Sax Master... after this I am going to start putting money away for a UK Harvest original DSOTM.. most likely from the A3/B3 stampers which is a little cheaper.

25. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Thanks for your review Narco! By the way, was your BG ordered or bought locally?