Other Music NYC to close...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralphb, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Not necessarily. For improvised music, Jazz Record Center has a great selection of CDs.

2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I find the selection at Academy to be pretty anemic myself. These days, the best bets for CDs in NYC are some of the bigger Barnes & Nobles stores. Or if it's a new mainstream release, perhaps Best Buy (where I recently picked up The Beatles live CD and Lady Gaga) . With all the great stores of the past, big and small, just a memory, I do a lot of shopping on-line now

3. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Happy to loan you Amoeba in LA and Rasputin in Berkeley any time you'd like.

4. jjhunsecker

I'd love it ! I saw some pictures inside Amoeba recently, and it made me nostalgic for the days that we had such huge stores with all types of music here in New York

5. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Perhaps more than ten years ago, they were good, but it just wasn't my experience.

6. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

I've copped a lot of good records at A1 over the years. In fact I'm often surprised to see the little orange stickers on so many of my favorites, almost all from the floor boxes..hate those price tags by the way. Last few years unplayed mono original of the Sound of Johnny & Ride this train, Analog Bubblebath 1

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

When they moved to their new location in 2013, that's when they went downhill. Prior to the move, they were pretty good.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

At least Second Hand Roses is still around.

:pineapple:

9. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Well, I'd been there prior to 2013 and wasn't impressed. But at the time, I was working at Princeton Record Exchange, which is a store many NYC folks took the train to visit instead. I'm sure I had a bias.

tmoore and Tommyboy like this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Now I understand why you feel that way. Makes sense. I've only been to PREX once, many years ago, before getting back into vinyl. I need to make the trip.

tmoore likes this.
  11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

How did you get from train station to PREX?
    I know that area well and I know PREX is a couple miles west of the Princeton Junction train station.

I've thought about going there by train instead of driving 200 miles from DC. I could take Amtrak to Trenton and then transfer to Jersey Transit. I know it's expensive but wear and tear on a car also adds up after a while. I have made that drive many times, but not so much the last few years.

12. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

You can take the "Dinky" shuttle train into town from Princeton Junction.

somnar and zphage like this.
  13. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Thanks for the quick reply.

14. jjhunsecker

Remember when you could walk into J&R or Tower or Virgin and just walk out with a copy of any CD (at least domestic releases) that you wanted ?? Sigh .....

Tommyboy, somnar and alexpop like this.

15. Indeed, the glories of paying more than list price

Just go to Discorama:righton:

Discorama Overstock »

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any store closing his like losing a old friend.

17. alexpop

I went to one in Manhattan in the mid nineties, seemed to specialize in soundtracks, lordy the prices.

18. FOotlights? EXpensive, but beautiful vinyl, nice location, East Village, internet only now

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Yeah, could have been.
    Eyes a popin prices.

20. Marc Perman

J&R, three Tower locations (don't forget the Upper East Side), HMVs Upper East, West, and midtown, the Tower annex on Lafayette St...

21. jjhunsecker

There was even a small Tower records store in Trump Tower...and at one point there were HMV locations on W72nd St, E86th St, W42nd St, W34th St, Fifth Avenue, and 125th St...and I forgot Virgin records in Times Square and Union Square...and Tower not only had thee annex on one side of Lafayette Street, but on the other side had a video and book store

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  22. jjhunsecker

I used to go to Discorama as well....

And I NEVER paid list price at any of these stores...J&R consistantly had the lowest prices. Elsewise , I would buy the CD on the first few days of release (when most stores would have lower prices) or just wait for a sale... The only time I would pay full price was for an import (in those pre-Internet days)

zphage likes this.
  23. jjhunsecker

Yes, Footlight was insane !

24. Marc Perman

J&R was a great series of stores. When I went classical CD shopping for the first time in 1990 I was overwhelmed by the three floors of inventory. The J&R trip downtown would sometimes include clothes shopping at Century 21 and lunch in Chinatown (usually Wo Hop, 17 Mott St. downstairs).

somnar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.