Has anyone tried the Jico N97XE elliptical stylus (non SAS)? Any feedback?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MarioHead, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'd be interested too, I have an M97XE new in the box that's going to see some use one of these days soon.

3. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

I do not like Jico styli. I think they're overrated and the ones I've used have been brighter sounding and have performed worse than the originals. Jico gets a lot of press, but they're basically a Japanese slamhouse cranking out mediocre product. The last stylus I ordered from them for a customer who wanted one didn't even fit the cartridge body. It was a joke. So I decided I was done at that point. Thus said, how about a conical with the M97xE? Could sound amazing. N35X will fit the M97xE body and they will be way more forgiving of setup issues and less than pristine vinyl. I have never tried this combo personally, but would love to. I bet it sounds very, very smooth. More info here:

Shure m97xe/conical - Vinyl Engine »

Shure N35X Stylus for M35X Cartridge »

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Hmmm, I'll find out if Jico lives up to its hype as I have just got a new Jico SAS Shure VN5xMR for my V15VxMR. That is the $$$ out of production boron cantilever one.

I'm also interested in the Shure M35X, I got one new very cheap, I'll see if the hype on that holds any water too. Sounds like I can swap the conical from that to my M97xE.

In fact, I would think the Jico I got would go onto these 2 cartridges as they are X series, no?

Looks like I have lots of fun options.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    The Seeker likes this.
  5. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

SAS styli don't excite me, but I would be EXTREMELY curious to read your detailed review and/or comparison between the M35X and M97xE body w/ N35X stylus if you would be so kind as to do a write up. I'm going to guess that the latter is the better sounding combination. I predict the M35X is brighter and a bit less refined, but this is just speculation.

GuildX700 likes this.
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'll do a detailed write up when it happens. All will need some hours breaking in as they are all brand new.

The Seeker likes this.
  7. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow thanks guys! Looking forward to more feedback.

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I have the lp gear vividline on my Technics 1200MKII table. I've been experimenting playing my noisier lp's on it and they are noticeably quieter.

9. Have one on my 1800mkii and prefer it to the Jico which I sold because it was too bright

CCrider92 likes this.
  10. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I, too, had the Jico which got mysteriously broken by someone messing with the table when I wasn't around. It never got the chance to show me what it could/couldn't do, and I was not willing to again shell out the bucks for a new one.

11. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

well i bought a normal quality Jico stylus
    for my V15 MK3.
    i cannot fault it.
    let me ask if i may, is the Thakker v15 mk3 stylus the same as the Jico.(both are Japanese.)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.