DVD Audio Extractor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vorlon, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems the net is somehow bulletproof on problems related to this program for some weird reason.

It has always worked fine, but now, when trying to rip the new XTC Skylarking BD, DVDA crashes to desktop. Any ideas outside the totally useless internet searches? This happens with DVDA 7.3.0 - latest.

2. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

I don't think it will extract from blu-ray, only DVD and DVD-A.

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Their homepage claims Bluray compatibility.

I've never had problems (7.2). Dunno how robust their support is, but I'd suggest going to DVDAE directly first.

Might be something built into that disc. ? ? ?

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Simple answer...DVDAE will only rip BDs if there is no BD+copy protection. And very few, if any, lack copy protection.

If you use something like MakeMKV first to decrypt the files, then DVDAE can convert them to hi-Rez FLAC or whatever format you wish.

If you do a search, you'll find more detail on this.

5. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

The method described by marcb above has worked well for me in the past.

Lonevej, superstar19 and Vorlon like this.
  6. Vorlon

Thanks guys, that may be the case. I remember now I used a little program to remove copy protection, it may even still be on my computer.

7. Runicen and Vorlon like this.
  8. Vorlon

I used AnyDVD with a new trial license, got it sorted as FLAC now. I will have a peek at MakeMKV too, thank you.

Robert van Diggele and Runicen like this.
  9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

MakeMKV has the added benefit of being "free" (i.e. they give you a registration code on their forums) while the program is in beta. Depending on how long that lasts, that's a LOT of blu-ray rippin'!

Vorlon likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

MakeMKV has been in beta forever. They do require you to enter a new code key periodically, but that can be found with a web search. Just bookmark the page, so you get the request for the new key, you can quickly copy and paste it.

If someone bumps this thread this weekend, I'll try to post the link to get the latest key.

Vorlon and Runicen like this.
  11. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Really? I'm trying to figure out what they're waiting for. At least for my purposes here, it's a fully functional little program and does its job well.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why does it matter whether it's in "beta"? As long as it works and it's free...

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Well, if there's a hope to make or recoup some money based on the time spent working on the thing, the longer it spends in beta, the more money is left on the table.

I'm happy to financially support software that makes my life easier. It's also a good way to keep the dev team working on it. Free stuff has this nasty tendency to stop receiving support after a while.

c-eling likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

They also been updating it regularly forever...

I'm not sure they're looking to recoup anything at this point.

15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Maybe so. I just fear the approach of abandonware. :eek:

16. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

My current setup goes MakeMKV (Decrypt the disc) and then open the decrypted files in DVD Audio Extractor. Is the benefit of using AnyDVD w/DVD Audio Extractor, that you can directly rip from the disc in DVD AE without an interim “decrypt” step?

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Vorlon, Runicen and jupiter8 like this.
  18. Vorlon

Yes, directly from the BD. Just that it's so long time between my BD rips that I forget how to, need to make myself yet another notepad "how to" doc and add to my collection :whistle:

superstar19 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.