Going to NYC next week. Best record shops?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Sam, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

What do you members recommend? I'll be in Brooklyn and going into Manhattan.

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

The bulk of the great shops are in Williamsburg/Greenpoint:

Academy Annex
    Record Grouch
    Earwax Records
    Captured Tracks
    Co-Op 87
    Heaven Street
    Norman's Sound and Vision

3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

avoid the city and go directly to Princeton Record Exchange.

hvbias, George P, Gaslight and 3 others like this.
  4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Is Generation Records still there and Bleecker Street Records of course?

JG

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Seconded.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  7. Generation, yes... Bleecker St is closing at the end of the month.
    Rough Trade in Williamsburg
    Academy in the East Village.

8. George P

George P Way Down Now

Truer words were never spoken.

Andrew and RelayerNJ like this.
  9. James Glennon

There used to be a big fat cat in Bleecker St Records, always enjoyed going in there. If there is such a 'huge' vinyl revival how comes it is closing?

JG

10. NYC rent is stupid. We lost Other Music, Bleecker Bobs, Rebel Rebel, and more, there will be no mom & pop stores left in the entire city... part of why we left. And the shop moved once already due to rent, I didn't see the cat in the new space. :(
    Here, have look at this website and see the death of a city... Jeremiah's Vanishing New York »

11. James Glennon

Thanks for the link, a great read BUT not at all enjoyable! Sad, sad, sad!

JG

MattyRedSox likes this.
  12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

In Manhattan I'll second the East Village Academy Records on East 12th St. off Ave. A; I scored a nice haul there last month at very reasonable prices.
    Academy Records NYC »

I like their West 18th St. location too if you're in the area.
    Academy Records & CDs Home »

In Brooklyn check out Permanent Records in Sunset Park on 20th Ave. between 3rd and 4th Avenues.
    Permanent Records »
    They used to have a big shop in Greenpoint but were priced out by high rent. The new store is small but has an excellent selection and amazing prices. I've bought many fine records there in great condition for $3-5.! The shop is in the back of a work space l0ft on the 2nd floor. If you go there you'all see a small A-Frame sign for the shop in front of the building, you ring the buzzer to get in.

13. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Generation Records (Greenwich Village) if you are looking for generally cheap for $3-7 NM- LPs and 7". I bought the Who, The Wings, John Lennon, Jethro Tull Aqualung There. They have a lot of New Wave Punk and Disco. A-1 Records is suppose to be good a record similar shop to Generation where its fairly priced used vinyl but they specialize in hip hop and electronica. Rough Trade NYC is where you buy new "hipster" bands like the wytches, bully girl band, car seat headrest but they rest is overpriced garabage

14. AcidPunk15

been there their selection is garbage music like yes genesis garbage like that thats why. Alt Music is the trend now and the owner is selling the property

15. James Glennon

I was there in 2003, must have gone done hill dramatically!

JG

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

It truly makes me sad that this is the best store that the east coast has for buying music these days! I've driven from Philadelphia a few times just to get to this place, only to find the parking a nightmare and the store less than satisfying, with each visit, but I guess that it's the best that you guys have got?

17. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

They have a fairly new parking garage behind the place that's easy now. Like any record store, you hope your visit coincides with a great new arrival batch. I went there last week and the store was overflowing with great stuff. Subscribe to their newsletter or browse through their YouTube channel for new arrivals. Some of this is truly astounding:

Chris C and George P like this.
  18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

There was a thread here for this cool Beatles collection PREX had that was pretty cool (The good stuff is long gone lol, but the manager told me they bought some 25,000 records off this guy):

steveharris and George P like this.
  19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I really would like to take a road trip there with a few friends later this spring,maybe map out a few other non musical attractions to break it up a little like museum or baseball game.I`ve heard so much about that place being huge.I would probably need a few days to dig through the place huh?I guess if I set foot in that place I`d end up spending quite a bit afterall.:D
    I was in New York last December and like always it was just too hectic with mobs of people getting in my way.A ten speed biker hit our car at lightning speed.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    George P and RelayerNJ like this.
  20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It's actually not that large a store. You could get through the place in one setting. There's a store tour video on their youtube channel :)

steveharris and George P like this.
  21. Skalap

Skalap New Member

Hi there,

I am new in this forum and I refresh this topic since I am also planning a trip in NYC in a few months. I will take this opportunity to complete my records collection with some classic records (mainly classic rock, soul, bit of hip-hop). Below are three "groups of shop" quite close from each other that I pretend to visit. Any suggestions are welcome in order to avoid wasting time in some uninteresting shops.

--- Human Head Records + Norman’s Sound & Vision + Earwax Records + Rough Trade + Halcyon + Co-op 87 Records + Academy Records Annex + Captured Tracks Shop + Record Grouch + The Thing

--- Black Gold Records + Fifth Avenue Record Shop + Music Matters + Permanent Records

--- Jazz Record Center + Academy Record + Strand Bookstore + Academy Records + A1 Record Shop + Good Records + Bleecker Street Records

Also, for some records I will probably go into nice reissues (I have been reading a lot of topics to help me to choose the best reissues). What would you suggest to buy new records? Is it better (and cheaper) to buy in shops or to order on a website and ask to be delivered at my hotel (did it before)?

Thank you guys for your help... and sorry for my poor english ;)

22. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Every record store I've ever walked into in Manhattan has been ridiculously over priced with a below average selection.

Andrew and RelayerNJ like this.
  23. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

I was in Bleecker St Records about 6 months ago..prices were crazy and the place was empty. I strongly recommend all the Academy locations.

24. AcidPunk15

yah when I went there it, was Saturday and kinda dead. Their selection is like old people music. I talked to the manager who buys for both generation and Bleeker he told me through facial expressions that yah the selection at Bleeker is crap. I should check out academy heard good things. what kind of music is their. classic hard rock/ cock rock?

25. James Glennon

What kind of prices are they charging?

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.