Lady Gaga announces new single 'Perfect Illusion' and album JOANNE (21st October 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i only watched the first song, but that was lip syncing with prerecorded instrumentation. no doubt about it.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

No slam intended. Just can't see how she'd be "power pop."

3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Then she did a fantastic job of not only synching the lyrics but also the mic pops, breaths, and the "c'mon! Hands up! SNL let's hear it!" shout-out she gave two minutes into it

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

She's a pro.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. Gems-A-Bems

Which is exactly why she didn't lipsynch on SNL

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What did she say about lip-synching?

I think she's gotten worse about it in recent years. The "Monster Ball" lacked "true lip-synching", IIRC - ie, any non-live vocals weren't presented as if they were coming from Gaga live.

Didn't see "Born This Way Ball", but heard a lot of lipping occurred, and there was definitely some on the 2014 tour.

Surprising because in 2010-11, she'd go on rants about how lipping was a betrayal to the fans!

Because I'm a freak? :help:

It's just the way I like to do it. No logic behind it, but I like to wait until the physical CD is in hand to hear it.

It's also probably because I virtually never feel "urgent" to hear a new album. Can't remember the last time I was breathless in anticipation for a new release from anybody!

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Has there been much/any obvious lipping on "SNL" since the Ashlee Simpson episode? I know "SNL" crew severely frowned on anyone lipping, and I have to imagine the show's got even tougher on it since Simpson created such embarrassment...

8. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

She's gone in on people who use playback and lip-syncing, but she's done it. And she's been nailed for it.

But it's SNL. Who cares. It's not like it's a concert where people pay hundreds of DOLLARS, BRITNEY... :mad:

9. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

oh...then my bad.
    i guess you & i have different definition of 'power pop'.
    to me...power pop represents Big chorus, Power vocal, Rock edge, etc. something like 'Bad Romance' and really, most of her well-known tunes.
    maybe its different in your book which is fine...my apology for barking at ya. ;)

10. The7thStranger

Power pop is actually an established genre. Check out Tommy Keene. :)

11. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

got it...i did say 'her brand' of power pop...not that it matters.

12. The7thStranger

If she did do power pop, that would be a very radical change of direction. :p

Marble Index and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

There is no way she would lip-sync on SNL.

My favorite performances by her have been on Howard Stern with Gaga just on the piano.

Here's Million Reasons she performed on Howard Stern today or yesterday, whenever it was.

Aurora and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Pretty much.

15. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    905 likes this.
  16. Gems-A-Bems

I don't know about other SNL music guests since Ashlee Simpson, but I think it's clear that Lady Gaga's vocals were live during her performance.

Aside from the SNL shout-out, there are some other moments during the song where it's obvious she's live. One that immediately comes to mind is where her mic stand is being held by the dancers: as they briefly fumble it Gaga goes off-mic and so do the vocals. If that is a lip-synch job then not only is Gaga a master then so are the dancers who would have had to move the mic away from her at exactly the right moments. There is also a little chuckle from Gaga during a following mic movement.

I understand that is important for some to insist that Lady Gaga wasn't live during SNL but they really should abandon that attack since they are only succeeding in making themselves look foolish.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    JeffreyB likes this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Just watched the first song again. Yep, still lip sync. You can tell in the verse before the second chorus…her lips and the sound aren’t matching very well. As for the “what’s up, snl” shout out being proof…uh, that was lip synced too. I’m not saying she was synced to the album version…just a prerecorded version.

I don’t really understand why her fans would care one way or the other. She’s a pop performer who places style before substance in her live performances. We’re talking about a person who wore an outfit made of meat, after all.

goodiesguy and JohnnyQuest like this.
  18. Gems-A-Bems

I'm not seeing the moments you're talking about in the second verse. Which lyrics specifically do not match?

And how do you explain the off-mic moments with the mic stand-holding dancers? Was that all perfectly timed to tape?

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Often the lip synching people see is actually their own set up having a very slight delay between audio and video.

20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Nope. Watched it on my teevee and again on youtube. Same.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  21. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

thanx for the heads up, found it on YouTube. Howard is just...such an underrated interviewer....great as always.
    she talks about Zappa's house, being in Zeppelin cover band at 19, sang a little 'Black Dog' on spot, pu*sy glue (~).
    oh, she does talk about exactly the thing you guys were arguing about above...let's put that to bed now.

22. JWolf

JWolf Member

I really enjoy A Night to Remember. The music is very good and Lauper's vocals are really strong. It should have sold much better than it did.

23. JWolf

JWolf Member

MP3? If so, it's overpriced.

The7thStranger likes this.
  24. JWolf

JWolf Member

Joanne is poorly recorded. It's flat and distorts. There's no need to crush the dynamics and over blown the volume so it distorts.

foobar2000 1.3.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-10-25 10:56:40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Lady Gaga / Joanne (Deluxe Edition)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR5 0.00 dB -7.57 dB 3:30 01-Diamond Heart
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.03 dB 3:28 02-A-YO
    DR8 0.00 dB -11.08 dB 3:17 03-Joanne
    DR5 0.00 dB -7.10 dB 2:54 04-John Wayne
    DR6 -2.23 dB -10.00 dB 3:27 05-Dancin' In Circles
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.41 dB 3:02 06-Perfect Illusion
    DR7 0.00 dB -11.08 dB 3:25 07-Million Reasons
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.02 dB 3:43 08-Sinner's Prayer
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.41 dB 4:15 09-Come To Mama
    DR8 0.00 dB -9.38 dB 4:15 10-Hey Girl
    DR9 -2.23 dB -13.44 dB 3:49 11-Angel Down
    DR8 0.00 dB -11.82 dB 3:00 12-Grigio Girls
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.73 dB 2:58 13-Just Another Day
    DR9 -1.12 dB -12.81 dB 2:20 14-Angel Down (Work Tape)

Number of tracks: 14
    Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 720 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

[​IMG]

25. The7thStranger

Agreed. It was industry politics that stood in the way of that record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.