Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yes, the sound/performance of these Davies recordings could easily be rooted in the Munrow ones. :)

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, record 1 from "Dufay - Complete Secular Music" performed by The Medieval Ensemble Of London led by Peter Davies and Timothy Davies on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, Rushton and 1 other person like this.
  3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I absolutely cannot wait until Analogue Productions finally releases their SACD of this title. I could not wait any longer as it could be months or years if they ever release it, so I bought the old Columbia Masterworks CD version from the Great Performances series. It seems to be an old release from the 80s. Does anyone have any input on the sound quality of this issue? I think overall it sounds pretty good but I have noticed a couple of 'clicking' type noises in the right channel that I am not sure are part of the original recording or not. Does your LP have any of these noises? Perhaps they are from the instruments? This is the version I have but I will definitely buy the SACD if it is ever released!
    [​IMG]

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 1 from "Brailowsky - Chopin Piano Solo Works" on Sony.

Preludes, Op. 28
    Andante Spinato And Grande Polonaise In E-Flat Major, Op. 22
    Écossaises, Op. 72, No. 3
    Moja Pieszczotka (My Joys) Arr. Franz Liszt
    Zyczenie (Maiden's Wish) Op. 74, No. 1 Arr. Franz Liszt

[​IMG]

dale 88 likes this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 10 from the Philips Classics - The Stereo Years set. Bonus: 3 Klavierstücke D946

[​IMG]

Mik, Juan Matus, DeepFloyd11 and 2 others like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to "Schutz - Christmas Story/Praetorius - Motets" performed by the Taverner Consort, Taverner Choir and Taverner Players led by Andrew Parrott on EMI.

Featuring:
    (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby
    Nigel Rogers
    David Thomas

[​IMG]

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to "Rontgen - String trios 1-4" performed by the Lendvai String Trio on Champs Hill Records.

Never heard this music before - nice. :)

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You could be right. He is not an artist for UniversalMusic or WarnerMusic ...

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like a Scandinavian composer to me. I have works by Atterberg and Rangstrom among recordings by Scandinavian composers in my collection and they are quite nice ...

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I don't think I've got anything by those two. I've seen Atterberg mentioned often in online forums. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the tip. :)

12. Scopitone

Scopitone Don’t feel like Satan, but I am to them.

[​IMG]

Handel from a pretty lady seems right for a gray Tuesday morning.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

I hear you.....I feel the same way. Most of it simply makes me even physically ill. I have a form of synesthesia. Continuously dissonant, semitone, tritone music makes me want to throw up and I get pounding headaches. I remember my mother singing in a Penderecki Opera and also Dallapiccola's Prigioniero. I couldn't stand it and waited in the opera bar. I can take very little in small doses within a generally harmonic oeuvre. Even in rock or jazz music it has to be confined to a specific tension that will lead to something pleasant. A few months back a modern piece (composed last year for a Dallas premiere) was performed here with guest conductor from Dallas, Sebastian Lang-Lessing ( very good by the way). It's by US composer Aaron Jay Kernis, 'Whisper, Echo and a Cry'. I actually enjoyed it very much, because it reminded me so much of Richard Strauss in it's tonal palette. :tiphat:

geralmar and bluemooze like this.
  14. DeepFloyd11

Good morning everyone! On the TT....on this very foggy day, just the right thing to brighten things up. :tiphat:
    [​IMG]

crispi, ToddBD, Mik and 2 others like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Julius Röntgen (1855-1932) was a German/Dutch composer, not Scandinavian: Julius Röntgen - Wikipedia »

The Lendvai String Trio recorded more Röntgen compositions: Amazon.co.uk: lendvai rontgen string trios - Classical: CDs & Vinyl »

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning-

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Rose River Bear

Spinning-
    [​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  18. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Thanks. Never heard of this composer I will check it out.

19. Rose River Bear

Interesting. I have a mild form of chromesthesia. It is weak with some keys but strong with others. For instance, I see red when I hear the key of F Major and gray when I hear E flat Major. I have very strong relative pitch bordering on perfect pitch but it is not as strong as most people with perfect pitch. I am usually off by a half step and can hear keys only about 70% of the time.
    You must have very strong perfect pitch as well if dissonance affects you that strongly.

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to "Ysaye - Sonatas for Solo Violin" performed by Alina Ibragimova on Hyperion.

[​IMG]

rockerreds, Mik and J.A.W. like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

I don't have that disc but the Ysaye sonatas are great IMO.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This is a wonderful CD, one of (the lovely and talented ;)) Ibragimova's best in my opinion.

Those Ysaÿe sonatas are great.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    rockerreds and bluemooze like this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

Wow. That's really special, to see red with F Major. I do have a perfect pitch, I started playing piano when I was 5 and was a pain in the butt for the teacher, I would always want to play without reading the sheet papers etc. But I don't know why I have painful reactions to dissonant music. It started when I was really little. In general I feel certain things very deeply, the physical reactions I have with music are intense. When I love a piece of music, I get goosebumps, shivers, it probably affects my blood pressure too. I can even cry sometimes. I get intense feelings from other art forms as well. I asked my family doctor a while ago and she said that I was hypersensitive, or have increased sensory processing sensitivity and thus possess increased responsiveness to both positive and negative influences. :tiphat:

edit....I fit the general description of this particular trait even with the increased sensitivity to caffeine. If I drink real coffee I get palpitations and tachycardia..... :help:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    bluemooze and Rose River Bear like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I agree. I'm glad I tried this out. :)

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm working on building my Ibragimova collection (which, as a bonus, gets me a lot of music I've never heard). Do you have everything by her? :)