Miami Vice - The Complete Series - Comes To Blu-Ray 10/4/16

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jsayers, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Not terrible but I did see some. People are saying it is 5.1 only, but I seen it on 2.0 audio here and there. Unless it is my setup.

I would have to re watch to see what scene I seen it.

Mike34260 likes this.
  2. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Thanks man, I'm really hoping the 2.0 track on the later seasons isn't that bad. Been waiting a long time for this series on Blu Ray and of course Mill Creek had to do it....:thumbsdow

3. Watched first 7 episodes in 2.0, flawless audio . I had to use the 'full' setting on my Cambridge Audio 752BR remote to fill the screen, with no degradation in the picture quality at all. Looks and sounds terrific to me.

Mike34260 likes this.
  4. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

Bummer. That being the case, then we can't fault Mill Creek or Universal. At least it's s grudge that can be let go of easily!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, you'd screw it up even more. My advice: stop obsessing about it and live with the mistake.

Fattenizing a 4x3 image to 16x9? Dear god, please don't do that.

6. Please don't. It's a 1.33:1 aspect ratio. Leave it that way. What's the point of a) stretching the image or b) cutting off parts at the top and the bottom?

chilinvilin, Plan9 and RoyalScam like this.
  7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

Thank you!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  8. joselito

joselito Forum Resident

I bet that you've seen this kind of "color" annoyances in other releases before, and I suppose it is more common than we tend to think. Normally, I wouldn't care that much about it, but considering the look this particular show had, and the way it was aesthetically driven, this time is particularly difficult for me to let go.

I always get the feeling that from 3rd season on the production started to be more radical about the use of lighting as a dramatic element. Sometimes, they'd reach such fantastic atmospheres that even when dialogues ceased completely, I'd still love it. And they could do it every Friday!

I read more than once that this kind of "evolution" had the finger of Dick Wolf, who later joined the production. But I always thought that a little bit too hard to believe. I could never get from DW's TV shows that he was particularly interested in visual experience (to me, his game had to do with solid stories). I couldn't see a reason to doubt this change came from Michael Mann himself. On "Manhunter", that was released about a month before Season 3 first airdate, MM used stuff we would see a lot on Miami Vice Seasons 3-5:

[​IMG]

I would think that the more Miami Vice started using this, the more things got messed up decades later on DVD, and now on Blu-Ray. I wonder if this absence of "aesthetic care" (in lack of a better word) has to do with the fact it's "just" a TV show, not a movie (to my eyes, "Thief" and "Manhunter" looked fantastic on Blu-Ray, but I do not remember how they looked originally in the '80s). Or is it the fact that a movie lasts for about 2 hours, whereas a TV show like this has a running time more than 50 times longer than that, making a "tight" control a lot more difficult?

So just to show that the problem is not only with the logos, it spoils episode scenes as well. Also, scenes with a more inventive lighting tend to be punished more severely (and they're everywhere after Season 2).

Season 3 ("Duty and Honor", NBC versus DVD)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Season 5 ("Asian Cut", NBC versus DVD)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would use more images, but it must be 5 images per post. I have some other good examples, but maybe the images above are already enough. I'm still using the DVDs as example, my BD set wasn't delivered yet and I have no clue on how to capture BD images on a PC. But for what we've seen so far ("When Irish Eyes are Crying"), there won't much a major change in this particular issue.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  9. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Amazon has pulled this because of complaints. It is available elsewhere. I wonder if they'll fix it or if there will just be a price cut. I'll wait.

10. I bought from a Bullmoose. So far I've watched the first two discs from season one and it seems fine to me. I wonder what the problem is. I suppose I can return it for being defective. Anyone know what the specific problem is with the new Blu-ray box?

11. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Echo and out-of-sync audio on the 5.1 mix.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  12. I'm using 2.0, so there is no issue. But I suppose if I ever do use 5.1 I'm screwed so I should return it until it's fixed.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting.... Thread Starter

No, you hang on to it and wait and see what Mill Creek decides to do, imho. Meantime, enjoy it with the stereo track, like it was when it was broadcast, at least that's what I'm going to do. Got my copy from DD today. :righton:

ky658 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  14. Good advise, I'll do just that. And I'm not using full screen mode for the rest of my viewing. I think I gave @Vidiot and @RolandG a heart attack when I mentioned that earlier. Whatever the ratio I'm watching the rest of the series in that aspect! :tiphat:

chilinvilin and jsayers like this.
  15. Not a heart attack, just a single tear in the corner of my right eye. :D

chilinvilin and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No more heart attacks for me, please. Three are enough.

17. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Wow, I had no idea the difference was that stark. The first image looks a million times more impressive.

Marcmusic and joselito like this.
  18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Just Got this,watched Calderone's Return: Part 1 - The Hit List Looks like the same transfer as the dvd ,but sharper.Still faded Maybe Episode 9 will look better ,or these are the same transfers?

19. Marcmusic

Marcmusic Forum Resident

I bought the DVDs over the past two years. I figured there would never be a Blu rat release. This was the definitive tv series of my teens. Haven't watched the entire series since it was in syndication in the 90's but I still enjoy it when I watch my DVDs. My favorite seasons are 1 & 2 but 3 is right there. It probably has the most consistent quality to be honest. I love season 2 but there are some weak episodes. I'll have to watch seasons 4 & 5 again but I do remember some good episodes. I did start to lose interest around this time.

I'd be curious to see the Blu Rays. Some episodes like "Smuggler's Blues" looked really dark on DVD. I know there's a similar release from Fabulous Films. I'm assuming it will have the same flaws.

Fabulous Films »

20. If you purchased this set, I would suggest you contact Mill Creek Entertainment and request a replacement set or specific discs depending on what they intend to do about the defective episodes/discs in 5.1

Mill Creek Entertainment: Contact Us »

21. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

Regarding Fabulous Films releasing the show in the UK in December. Per another forum, they released the A-Team recently but the episodes are the cut,syndicated versions per BBC rules(?). People are of course complaining the A-Team being advertised as "complete" when they are edited versions.
    A forum member posted "All the episodes of The A- Team are included, Miami Vice will feature cuts per the BBFC's rules. They're both technically complete."
    Who knows anymore. :shrug:

22. Leigh Burne

So far as I know, the only BBFC cuts to Miami Vice involve some cock fighting seen in "One Eyed Jack".

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

so the UK censors weren't upset about the 'By Hooker by Crook' episode?

24. Leigh Burne

Those sex scene cuts were made at the source by NBC. So far as I know the original version has never been seen after the original broadcast. Same with the sex scene in "Rites of Passage".

What I meant was, the only additional censorship made by the BBFC over any home video releases anywhere else is to that cock fighting scenes.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

oh ok, got it.

wonder if I still have it on vhs. I worked at TV Guide then and one of the big shots had taped it that night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.