Have the Flaming Lips replaced Radiohead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Used to love The Flaming Lips, but since The Terror Wayne Coyne has been on one long awful midlife crisis and the records have been poor. Hope the new album is a winner...

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Here's a "Thread Tangent" that is actually more interesting - and valid - compared to the original post!!!
    ;) :p :agree:

JohnnyQuest and Thom like this.
  3. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Much more humor with The Flaming Lips. Wayne Coyne is 55 now but he looks no more than a 28 year old drug addict.

vince and starduster like this.
  4. That album made me think of Radiohead as produced by Prince.

Thom likes this.
  5. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I can hear no discernible connections between these two bands.

Arkay_East likes this.
  7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

8. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I do think Yoshimi aimed for an OK Computer status among the youth generation, and that both albums were highly influential, for good or bad.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Well, there's a good reason not to go on a diet... ;)

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

Doves' first release got a lot of the "next Radiohead" attention.

I love some Flaming Lips, but to me they are a psychedelic garage band.

pinkrudy likes this.
  11. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

They must be. Love The Flaming Lips and I pay zero attention to Radiohead.

vince and starduster like this.
  12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I tend to think of The Toilet Bowl Cleaners as the true successors to the Radiohead crown.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i remember when radio head a guitar player and every note on every song wasn't about thom yorke whining.

pinkrudy likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Not sure what this thread is about. The Soft Bulletin is a great album. I don't think it sounds like a follow-up to OK Computer. If anything, I might think of it as a late 90's successor to Smile or Dark Side of the Moon, or some combination of the two?

Kid A, of course, was meant to occupy a different world than that occupied by OK Computer, and to be anything but a logical successor. Some folks have never gotten over that betrayal, and I think they still fume about it, much as old folk music aficionados still despair that Dylan "went electric."

spintheblack72 likes this.
  15. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I don't find them to be similar at all, not to mention the Lips released their first album in 1986. What year was Pablo Honey? 92 or 93?

starduster likes this.
  16. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

The Flaming Lips replaced Radiohead and the most overrated band a few years ago.

17. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

I adore soft bulletin and yoshimi.
    Radiohead are definetly far better musicians but I just can't handle the whining and dourness. Music should be a joyous affair. Like do you realise and what is the light.

vince and pinkrudy like this.
  18. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Both bands have succumbed at times to self-indulgence, but beyond that there's little similarity between the two. Radiohead sounds distinctly like Radiohead, and Flaming Lips sound distinctly like Flaming Lips. Glad to have both of them!.

19. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I liked their first two albums, although I am sick to death (still) of Clocks. :laugh:

20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

When the Lips are on, they are ON.. Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin, parts of Mystics....

21. corey dan

corey dan Forum Resident

Thread title making me imagine some wacky Freaky Friday-style body switching comedy, mostly based around use of different slang for each country.

22. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

in answer to the thread's title,....NO

23. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Or, maybe Radiohead just never reached the same highs as OK Computer again, songwriting-wise. I think it's odd to claim that fans of a progressive rock band can't take a change of direction, especially into electronics. Bowie fans didn't get apoplectic over Low, did they? Or the Beatles, when they grew mustaches? Even the Dylan going electric thing has been proven somewhat of a myth. Didn't Pete Seeger deny trying to unplug Dylan by trying to cut the power with an axe?

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't know if Kid A reaches the same "songwriting highs" as OK Computer, but I think that as a whole, it's the best album of the 21st century, so I'm the wrong person to ask. There are many "Radiohead is overrated" threads where I am sure you will find a sympathetic audience.

Interesting that you mention Bowie's Low. Actually, both Low and "Heroes" did not sell particularly well in the US at the time of release. I think many fans found Low perplexing, resulting in a particularly poor reaction to "Heroes" - I recall that the single never even charted (!) in the US and the album sold very poorly. Of course, now, both are regarded as essential albums of the era.

25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Can't comment on either as I didn't go to University.

Duke Fame likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.