R.I.P. Pete Burns (Dead or Alive)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Cool! It's probably worth mentioning that the follow up to Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know, called Nude, is pretty easily available. It's on iTunes, even. Due to growing pains with the band it serves better as a bridge between Mad, Bad and Fan The Flame (Part 1) which is one tough album to get. It's only available as a Japanese import, unless one is willing to spring for the upcoming box set. Well worth getting though. Different than Youthquake and Mad, Bad but quality all the way and a real return to great form for Pete. It just might be my favorite DOA album.

MikaelaArsenault, barnaby and John54 like this.
  2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I heard Brand New Lover played in a department store here in Canada the other month...A pleasant surprise.

John54 and The7thStranger like this.
  3. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Bless em' Even though it's hard for people to understand how he could follow that path, he was doing what he wanted to do. To anyone who's experienced even fairly minor surgery, it's really takes it's toll. I can't imagine over 300 and the damage it would do to your internal organs.

4. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Wow. Not a fan of his music but as a teenager he was part of the scene I grew up in, in Liverpool. He worked in Probe Records and everyone knew of him. I was into rock rather than Punk so did not often venture into the shop for fear of ridicule (ofeten led by Pete). I would however get my Lou Reed, Zappa, Bowie, Television and Groupo Sportivo records there and suffer sarcastic comments from him about my long hair and army trench coat. My brother was in a local Punk band however so got recognition in the shop and would hang out there. Pete was every inch the outsider who seemed to find a home in that place. I was shocked and saddened by his later incarnations. RIP

5. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Oh noooo, not Pete. :shake:
    I know, a year starting out with David Bowie's death cannot be a good year, but I'm shocked.
    I don't give a damn about the plastic surgery thing, Pete, you were one of the greatest performers ever and I hope wherever you are now, you're as fabulous as ever.
    "Thank you for the music."
    Lots of love, rest in peace.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  6. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Fan the flame is a fantastic album indeed.
    We're still waiting for Part 2 though!

MikaelaArsenault and Khaki F like this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I never listened to anything beyond that "You Spin Me Round" thing, which was great. I did go into a club in the 80s and he was playing live. I stood at the back and didn't get into it. Always sad to see an artist go though.
    RIP

8. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Worth reading the comments section at the end of this article about experiences at Probe Records when he worked there. Hilarious!

Pete Burns – provocateur with a pop brain and a sensitive side »

MadamAdam, Runicen and barnaby like this.
  9. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

johnnyyen likes this.
  10. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Seeing Johnny Marr in the background I wonder if this shot is from The Smiths concert at the Albert Hall. A great night. I think Moz and Pete sung The Headmaster Ritual.

11. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

The song was Barbarism Begins At Home.

Later that year Morrissey & Pete did a joint interview & photo shoot... the merry masters of pop at the time!

[​IMG]

12. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Dreadful music but I always enjoyed Pete as a person. RIP.

I remember, I think it was in one of those old Rock Family Trees, him talking about the early Liverpool punk scene and the band he was in with Cope and Wylie (The Mystery Girls). Sounds like he lived a pretty full life.

yarbles and Tanx like this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I often say, "THAT'S why I spend more time on THIS FORUM than anywhere else on the internet!",
    and, hearing that some members of this forum were THERE, at the beginning, is just one more reason!
    Thanks for sharing!

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You can read what is probably Pete's last interview at.....
    www.superdeluxeedition.com

its a great read because the interview is only about his music and the new box set released this week.

15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

And here it is!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Quite entertaining Bobby, thanks!

17. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Cheers for that Bobby.

Used to buy Smash Hits religiously during the 80's. Sadly my parents binned them all after I'd left the nest and they were moving house. That's one of the editions I really wish I'd kept hold of. I can see why he may not have been everyone's cup of tea but in my opinion he was a very funny guy and a totally underrated lyricist.

RIP Pete. I doubt we'll ever see a character like you again, not in my lifetime anyway, more's the pity.

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Thanks. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you want to relive your Smash Hits memories, I started this a while back.

Reviews, Features etc from Magazines such as Smash Hits, Record Mirror, Q.. »

If you haven't already seen it of course.:)

MikaelaArsenault and tin ears like this.
  19. Twitter has posted various memories from folks who tried to buy records from Pete: Pete Burns - Memories of a Shop Assistant »
    Among the posts we find this:

To: Netflix

Subject: Idea for new film

Synopsis: Like High Fidelity but with Pete Burns throwing shade to the punters in Probe Records

SammyJoe, johnnyyen, vince and 4 others like this.
  20. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

That's surprising news.

Really did enjoy some of Dead Or Alive's hits, but I had no clue it was that bad for Pete.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Nostaljack likes this.
  22. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Many thanks for doing that!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i am saddened by this news also.

dead or alive made more of an impact me with than prince or bowie, so to hear about it is a loss.

i really enjoyed their early era work.
    and wished they had had more success later on.

here's the last interview from super deluxe edition:
    Pete Burns tribute: The last interview | superdeluxeedition »

later

Runicen likes this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

Was it the Eaton's on the west side of Yonge, south of the Eaton's Centre, between Queen and Richmond? They have a pretty good selection of music, little if anything of which I know, and it's all relatively recent stuff ('80s to present I would guess).

25. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

No, it was a Sears store in Mississauga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.