1968 Mono; Anyone seen these?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

It seems to be a case-by-case basis the later it goes. They were not supposed to do any fold-downs (per a union contract IIRC) but it seems that sort of didn't really happen all the time.

I need to compare the BST and the Electric Flag LPs again. Last time I tried to figure out whether they were folds my opinion came down on the fold side, but I want to listen again on headphones this time.

If you're trying to do a run of the Columbias and want that Jimmy Dean (free, not trying to make a sale here), just give a shout. I'd like to find it a home with someone who understands what it is, and I know nobody locally will ever grab it from my trade box.

McLover likes this.
  2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Man, threads like this one remind me just why I spend so much time at this here board.

fr in sc likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Maybe Al Kooper would know if there was a true mono mix of the BS&T album.

Arkoffs likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Arkoffs and izgoblin like this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I had stumbled across mono versions of this list over the years. However, they were rare even back in the day, so good luck trying to find them now. Interestingly enough, they weren't in that much demand back then. More curiosity than anything.

GTOJUDGE likes this.
  6. Myke

I got that mono Waiting For The Sun right here in our classifieds a few years back.

7. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Thought you guys might like to see these. I own both of these but for ease of posting I yanked the pics off of eBay. This, as far as I know, is the ONLY documented proof of a concurrent mono/stereo release on the "new" style 1968 RCA label. If only we could have seen something like this on a stock release and not a special products issue!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ken K, MMM and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  9. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I saw an RCA orange label mono out in the wild last year... and I absolutely cannot remember what it was, unfortunately. I think it was a country LP. However, I know <where> I saw it, and as I remember it was not something likely to get bought right away. I will do some digging next time I'm there and see if I can turn it up.

I found a late Epic mono WLP in stereo cover over the weekend. Pics from Discogs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Awesome disc, obviously issued to cash in on both the Gary Puckett hit and the Skeeter Davis take of "What Does It Take?"

phillyal1 and Arkoffs like this.
  11. Myke

The Iron Butterfly Theme in Mono just may be THE go-to track for my old Onkyo receiver, and 1978 Jensen LS3s !!!!!!

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Here's the Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass "Sleigh Ride" from the mono version of the album sent to AM radio stations. Listen for the extra trumpet line at around 1:57. It's only a few notes, but they're not there in the stereo version.

Pelvis Ressley, Chip TRG and Arkoffs like this.
  13. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Picked up this evening a domestic Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform "Funny Girl" in mono- DJ pressings for $4.99 at Atomic Records in Burbank----I was sort of shocked by the price being so low

ernie11 likes this.
  14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The Supremes don't fetch much money, their records are too common.

15. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

True, but this was such an odd ball in mono that I'd never seen in 30 years, I was sort of surprised it was that low.

16. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Just getting around to posting a cover pic now....yes, I'm a bit behind. You get so used to seeing the stereo-positioned slick that the mono copy almost looks defective.

[​IMG]

17. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Here's something that I don't think has been addressed...why did all those Latin labels in New York like Fania and Cotique keep issuing separate mono records well into 1972? Salsa fans hadn't upgraded their equipment? Even Roulette stopped production of mono records around the same time everybody else did, but their Latin subsidiary, Tico, was still releasing mono records into the early seventies.

fortherecord and McLover like this.
  18. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

You nailed it yourself. Kinda the same reason why R&B 78's on some labels (Atlantic, for instance) were still being pressed, albeit in limited numbers into 1960. Different demographics tended to upgrade at different speeds.

pickwick33 likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Mono albums I wanna see and own: all late Decca albums by the Stones, and Pink Floyd's 'A Saucerful Of Secrets'. On my wishlist, but first I should earn millions of dollars for that.

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Found a stock mono copy of "The Graduate" today...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

HOLY CRAP.

I did not think that was supposed to exist.

Muzyck likes this.
  22. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

That small Latin music market also kept the 78 rpm format going until at least the late 1960s in the US!

chewy and pickwick33 like this.
  23. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Arkoffs likes this.
  24. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

For some reason I thought this one was promo only in mono.

I'm going to pretend I don't know that reasonable "almost mint" one is out there. :) I have a beater WLP and already know that version at least is a fold.

25. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Other than the tape and "Taylor", my cover is about the same condition.

Chip TRG likes this.