On-line shipping costs... what's fair?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Dave Thompson, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

In a practical sense it doesn't matter - it comes out of the total price and shipping paid by the buyer no matter what. But in point of fact that is not how Amazon accounts for it. A section from an actual "Your item has sold" Amazon email

===========
    Quantity: 1
    Order date: xx/xx/xxxx
    Price: $15.00
    Shipping: $3.99
    Amazon fees: -$4.59
    Your earnings: $14.40
    ===========

and my postage and packaging fees (as well as my time and the cost to me of the item) came out of the $14.40

2. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Amazon.de explains that CD buyers have to pay 3.00 Euros and only 1.99 Euros are forwarded to the seller. The difference of 1.01 Euros is the variable closing fee.

"Wenn Sie einen Artikel bei Amazon.de Marketplace verkaufen, ist der Käufer verpflichtet, festgelegte Versandkosten zu zahlen ... Amazon behält davon eine variable Abschlussgebühr ein und leitet den verbleibenden Betrag als Versandkostengutschrift an den Verkäufer weiter ..."

Maybe Amazon.com tries to keep their partners and customers uninformed?

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No, I seem to remember in the US a few years ago Amazon did say some fees were coming out of shipping. They switched to the current accounting when postal rates went up and US$3.99 less 1.35 was no longer enough to send most books at the default Media Mail rate at the USPO. No practical difference as I explained above, but it probably saved them some seller complaints. "Look, every penny the buyer paid for shipping is going to you!"

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That makes up for the penny paid for the cd. :laugh:
    People sell online to make a profit, you know.

By the way, what in the heck did you mail for $1.25? I've never mailed any size package for that amount, ever. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.