Aretha vs. Dionne: Better rendition of "I Say A Little Prayer"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Aretha. The tempo of her version gives more room for expression, and she and her singers run with it.

Speaking of Bacharach's opinions, I was surprised to hear him write that Luther Vandross owns "A House Is Not A Home" as an interpreter. Apart from that too slick 80s style of backing, Vandross is way too self indulgent for me on that song, and not respectful of the melody. I'd give it as a tie to Dusty Springfield (from a Bacharach TV special) and Dionne Warwick (the live version from 1970, released as a single).

2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Not knowing what to expect, I just had to...

"I Say a Little Prayer" - Jackie Leven & Ian Rankin.
    Wow!

3. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Dionne's

4. RMB77

RMB77 Well-Known Member

Aretha by a wide margin. I'm a huge fan, she could do no wrong in that era, and the backing vocals are just killer.

5. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Nice--never heard that version before.

6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I am a life long Bacharach fan. I recall being 6 or so and my parents allowed me to stay up late to watch a BB TVspecial
    And I can still remember my amazement as he conducted and sang. This is my favorite song of his and Hal's and I think Dionne's is the one. This song is all about building (sexual) tension and Aretha's (though great in its own way) lacks the subtlety required to build the tension IMHO
    The only flaw in this version is that the trumpet interlude is so far back in the mix. It's such a wonderful understated break it would be lovely to hear it better. The trumpet mix on the Herb Alpert version is handled much better.
    His version is also great if you can get by the change in perspective to male from female.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Rahsaan Roland Kirk. ;)

Stu02 likes this.
  8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well I'll tell you what, it certainly about the only time I haven't chosen Rahsaan and that does feel all wrong Lonson:confused:

Lonson likes this.
  9. Dionne. No comparison to the original but Aretha's is a fine cover.

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I hope not - cause that is one of the most slammin' songs from the classic Aretha era. 10/10

11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

If I want some nice '60s pop, Dionne. If I want a stirring rendition, Aretha. That may sound shady towards Dionne, but it's not. There are just times where I'd prefer the lightness of the original and times where I'd prefer the emotion of the cover. For me, the original is the one I think of when I think of the song, and I've heard it for most of my life, so there's that.

12. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Dionne.

13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I went with Dionne Warwick - when I think of "saying a little prayer" for someone, it's a restrained and thoughtful moment, and I think Warwick expresses that perfectly. And then she doesn't overdo the contrast of the big chorus, and she perfectly backs out of that chorus back into the thoughtful vibe of the verses.

I like Aretha's version too, but it's a bit too gospel-tinged - hahaha, ironic I suppose in a song about saying a prayer for someone.

14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Me too, I think it's a great song.

15. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

What a great post. When I first heard Aretha's version, the fact that the backup singers take the bulk of the chorus annoyed me significantly. I thought that her version paled to Dionne's. However, over time, I realized that there is just so much power in Aretha's voice when she belts out the responses of "forever!" and "together!" that I now find her version of ISALP to be one of the best examples of her genius. She can break your heart with a couple of words on a track where she doesn't even carry the chorus!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.