Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Airto Moreira, Flora Purim and Joe Farrell - Three Way Mirror (Reference Recordings) lp
    This was Joe Farrell's last recording. :cry: Beautiful music, beautifully recorded.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Monk with my favorite drummer for Monk, Frankie Dunlop. Dunlop could do it all, big band, quartet. . . he was an amazing talent imo.

[​IMG]

cobbler, markp, Six String and 3 others like this.
  3. Lonson

Right now, a CTI Supreme Series Blu-Spec CD from Japan.

[​IMG]

4. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Listened to Cuong Vu Trio Meets Pat Metheny followed by PMG - Quartet. Definitely recommend the first for anyone who liked Song X, Pat gets fairly weird on it.

Starwanderer likes this.
  5. Lonson

This just arrived! Going to be a fascinating listen over the next few days. Sound is excellent so far.

[​IMG]

mike_c, markp, Six String and 5 others like this.
  6. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Listening to Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra - All My Yesterdays. What an awesome document of a great group of players! I bought the 24/96 download from Pro Studio Masters. Oh so good!

[​IMG]

rockinlazys, mike_c, Soulpope and 3 others like this.
  7. MikeT.

MikeT. Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    What an outstanding album, extremely well recorded. It's the Marsalis genes PLUS a lot of hard work and ones own twist to the music.

fingerpoppin, Six String and Lonson like this.
  8. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

I was a really obsessive and completist in my collecting of music for a couple decades. One of the things I love most about jazz is the eternal chase. Just when you think you have everything Elvin Jones recorded, another one pops up--let alone people like Sun Ra. The acceptance of that was a great relief to me, although I still am in the chase.

9. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Just got mine as well. Spinning now!

rxcory likes this.
  10. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Interested on your thoughts on this as well as Lonson's.

As much as I love the 2nd Quintet and the artistic process when it comes to playing Jazz, I worry about this being all abandon short takes and break downs with studio banter.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I like the "weird" Pat. It's a good album.

12. Lonson

It does look like that plus more complete tracks and masters. The 30 minutes or so that I was able to listen to is fascinating.

WorldB3, Starwanderer and rxcory like this.
  13. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

2011 Universal UCGU-9029 SHM-SACD

This is the one I have and it sounds very good. It's in mono. Unfortunately it's not a hybrid SACD so you need an SACD player to play it. Great music.

14. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

I've gone through the first cd, and yes it is as you have described to a large extent. I still find it very interesting in a "fly on the wall" sort of way. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure but interesting nonetheless. If you're not sure wait for the inevitable sale once the initial release period has passed.

WorldB3 likes this.
  15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Stanley Turrentine with The Three Sounds – Blue Hour—The Complete Sessions: CD 1, original release (Blue Note Connoisseur)
    — With Gene Harris, Andrew Simpkins, Bill Dowdy

[​IMG]

16. Lonson

[​IMG]

Wow!

(Here's what I wrote a few minutes ago on the thread about this release):
    I'm just starting to listen to this set. I find it fascinating. I can already say that one should follow one's instincts about purchasing this set. If you think that it's a collection of false starts, incomplete takes, and studio talk, and that you won't listen to this often enough to justify the purchase, well, that is what this is. I will say that for me the studio chatter, the starts and stops, the incomplete takes all contribute to a bit of education about the Quintet, Miles and Teo, how recordings were made in that studio at that time, how Miles leads a band in the shaping of an arrangement. . . and more. I can see why many would not want to spin this too many times. But I think I'll spin it often enough. Listening here by myself I can already think of five people I know that I would like to sit and listen to this with and exchange impressions and thoughts. And I will be happy to listen to this more times by myself (next run through I'll probably do on headphones).
    Sound is exceptionally good imo.

Mychkine, markp, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bobo Stenson - Serenity (ECM)
    Early morning bliss.

jeffsjazz, markp and Starwanderer like this.
  18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thanks Lonson,

Again, as someone who plays Jazz as well as listens to it I understand the hard work, communication involved and at least for me what a humbling task it can be at times, so this set may still hold lots of fascination for me in that I can appreciate the process as well. Thanks again for you thoughts, looking forward to others and giving this some sample listens.

rxcory and Lonson like this.
  19. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I read that blog religiously and love it.

20. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wayne ShorterThe All Seeing Eye (Blue Note)
    — With Wayne Shorter - tenor saxophone; Freddie Hubbard - trumpet, flugelhorn; Grachan Moncur III - trombone; James Spaulding - alto saxophone; Herbie Hancock - piano; Ron Carter - bass; Joe Chambers - drums; Alan Shorter - flugelhorn (track 5 only); compositions by Wayne Shorter (4) & Alan shorter (1)

[​IMG]

21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Last night Dennis Gonzalez:

Debenge-Debenge

Extended ensemble has some nice moments. Have to think it could have been so much more with band that included the *great Charles Brackeen, the one and only Malachi Favors, Kidd Jordan & Alvin Fielder.

Secondary trumpet, bass and drums don't add enough to the ensemble to warrant some clutter and unnecessary length during the solo sections.

22. Lonson

23. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Just been listening to Charlie Rouse and Paul Quinchette; fabulous, so cool.

Lonson and rxcory like this.
  24. Lonson

A little bit of jazz here. What else is here is excellent singing, piano and cello playing, and really well recorded hand percussion. I sort of have had a little crush on Zizi over the years.

"Mais Simples"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jeffsjazz and markp like this.
  25. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Was just listening to John Coltrane Quartet Ballads.

I’m curious if anyone may have heard motivations for Coltrane to record Ballads? It is a bit of a tame album for such an extraordinary player. Yet, I find it quite relaxing to listen to! {Especially; "Say It (Over and Over Again)", "I Wish I Knew" and "Nancy (With the Laughing Face)". }

Also, amazing {per liner notes by Gene Lees} the musicians actually never played the songs prior to the day of recording them. The musicians came in with sheet music and after some discussions on arrangements - recorded all but one track in one take.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]