New Willy Wonka movie in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeez, let's make something new. The first one was great, the second one had its moments. What can they possibly bring to a third retelling? Why not do the sequel book?

2. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

??? that was singlehandedly the worst part of the remake!

These are the only oompa-loompa's:

[​IMG]

3. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

Sort of like how PL Travers didn't like what Walt Disney did with Mary Poppins.

4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Are you kidding me? Another one? Why? Seriously, considering how much people ended up hating your last attempt? And that was when Gene was still with us!

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

This new movie isn't a retelling, per the original post. It's not an origin story, but will be about Wonka and his early adventures. Presumably prior to the original Willy Wonka film.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

What would have been AWESOME, if Gene hadn't passed away and all, would be to get the original Charlie (Peter Ostrum) and set everything in the present, where Charlie has been looking after the Chocolate Factory since the events of the original film.

Wonka is now a grumpy old man in a wheelchair, and business has gone downhill thanks to the pressure to market vegan snack foods.

The Oompa Loompas have since unionized so the majority of the workforce is now made up of illegal Filipino migrants.

The kids who win the golden tickets are more interested in their phones than anything happening in the factory, and are really only there to get more Instagram likes. Most of them die in accidents orchestrated by the senile old Wonka.

I think Roald Dahl would have appreciated a darkly humorous take on his classic story.

7. I agree. Unfortunately with Alzheimer's Wilder would have needed to make it a decade ago but it is a great idea. Someone else could do a take on Wonka...maybe Martin Short...he could play the part in something like this.

The first film is a stone cold classic even if it wasn't quite as dark as Dahl's story (that I recall) the second one has its moments but neither one truly creates an origin story for Wonka (well, except for the brief flashback in the Burton movie). Burton's film lacked any charm.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like Tim Burton's introduction to Charlie's family. But Wilder is the perfect lunatic.

yesstiles and wayneklein like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.