New VPI Table (Shinola)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dennis0675, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive! Thread Starter

2. Dennis0675

Audio »

A $2,500 table with a built in phono seems like a bad idea to me.

3. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Yeah, I'd prefer my own phono pre at this price point. They also make gorgeous watches for over $400 with really common quartz movements. I'd like to support them, but not on that business model.

4. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Modular. Sounds like it can be disconnected to me.

Cool that it's being built locally (to me)

Dennis0675 and jeffsab like this.
  5. Dennis0675

It has to be the most expensive table with a built in by about $2,000. They must have some upscale retail outlet for a sales model. Like a store where you can buy a watch, a leather jacket and while we're here, let's get a record player.

I do like the design.

Rolltide and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

I wonder if I will be able to demo it in the Ann Arbor Shinola store?

7. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I saw a picture of the new Schitt turntable and it looks just like this one. I can't tell them apart.

CBackley, thxdave, riddlemay and 25 others like this.
  8. Dennis0675

It would have to be. The market for $2,500 tables with a built in has to be razor thin.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Me too. Looks pretty sweet.

Rickchick and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. Dennis0675

I didn't know they had one. That should be very interesting but not really in their wheelhouse

11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Think about it :)

12. irender

irender Forum Resident

Ha...nice one :laugh:

Vinyl Addict, jon9091 and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. Dennis0675

So not really a VPI table. It is called a "Runwell by Shinola"

VPI supplies the parts and helped with the design.

Delivering high-quality performance in a classic plug-and-play unit, the Runwell Turntable comes complete with a friction-free all-metal tonearm, a modular phono preamplifier and a custom-built moving magnet phono cartridge.

Custom built cartridge is also interesting. This thing might be the next Edsil. $2,500 is a pretty serious price point for pretty serious customers. These are some very vague details for a product that is due to launch in a week or two.

14. Dennis0675

Ah, now I get it. I was googling schiit turntable. :shake:

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Me too :laugh:

Vinyl Addict, whaiyun and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Dennis0675

It's a sickness I tell ya

whaiyun and jon9091 like this.
  17. Dennis0675

[​IMG]

Now this really is a new VPI. Prime signature, available at the end of November.

Rickchick and mreeter like this.
  18. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's not a novelty product. It's a nice bike with a classic geometry and design with a frame that is hand built in the USA. Go to a custom frame builder like Waterford and price out how much it is just for a hand built lugged steel frame with custom changes to best suit the Shimano internally geared hub rather than a regular derailleur. It will be $1500 and up just for the frame. Add on $1200 or more for components suitable for a frame and a bike like that and you're easily in the ballpark for what that Shinola bike costs.

People who understand custom bikes will understand that bike and why it costs that much. To those people the bike is worth that much. Same for the Shinola turntable. You end up paying a little extra for the certain style and design that goes with it. But that extra is not out of line at full retail markup.

20. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

This thing looks like a Frankentable made of spare parts that VPI had laying around. The plinth and feet of a Classic, the platter and pulley system of a Scout, and a speed changer, arm, and preamp of a Nomad / Player. It likely sounds good, but you can get a Classic and an inexpensive preamp for not that much more that will sound far superior to this concoction. If you are part of this niche market, the price difference between a $2,500 turntable and a $3,000 TT/preamp is not that great. Then again, you do get a grain leather slipmat, so there's that.

I really, really dislike this Shinola company. They are one of these "lifestyle" companies run by venture capitalists that is trying to invent a heritage where none existed. Yes, their products are made in the U.S., and there is some merit to to supporting U.S. manufacturing, but linking their overpriced crap with the "Detroit rising" narrative is a bit too precious for me. Their (ugly, IMO) watches are overpriced ripoffs and their leather goods are average and also overpriced. The New York Times ran a profile of the guys behind the firm and I have to say that they came off so full of themselves that there is no way that I could ever take their stuff seriously.

21. Dennis0675

Yes, not a crazy price for a bike..... If it were from a company that builds bikes.

Charging a custom bike price from a company that makes watches, clothing and other no bike related goods is the problem for me. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Like a great bike company, the thing I like about VPI is that they are focused on one thing and doing it better than everyone else. It would seem that the one thing Shinola is focused on is building a trendy luxury brand.

jeffsab likes this.
  22. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I like the style enough and wish them well with the new product, but I wonder how many people who think $2,500 is not too much for a TT will actually be shopping at Shinola for hi-fi gear?

troggy likes this.
  23. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There is a Shinola store here in Portlandia. I should have expected that.

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. Dennis0675

[​IMG]

Welcome to Shinola, how can I be of service.

25. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

blue meth is better right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.