Phonostage with variable volume - how do you use it with integrated?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by antonkk, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought myself a EAR 834 P phonostage with variable volume level and just can't decide on what volume to use it with my integrated tube amp. 50%? 75% 100%? Sound changes quite a bit each time I change the volume setting with different results depending on the LP. But what's the normal regime of use? I wrote to EAR support but sadly they never replied.

2. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

if the following stage, i.e. the integrated amp, is not saturating then the best option is to set the volume to 100%, thus virtually excluding the volume potentiometer from the signal chain.

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

That's usually good advice on line level stuff, but something in my head still tells me to stop at 7. Just always been my "safe" number.

4. antonkk

Yes, this sounds logical but I would love to know the volume level the manufacturer originally intended as "normal" in it's fixed volume outputs designs.

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

My integrated has an input sensitivity spec. I wonder if you could use a test tone and measure the output and set it at that spec or slightly less?

6. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

If I had a volume control on my phono input I'd use it to match playback level if possible with my CD input since that is the next most used for me.

7. antonkk

Well, I don't think it's what the manufacturer intended since most phonostages with fixed volume output have higher volume level than CD input.

8. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Most volume controls seem to sound best when at half of maximum rotation (or about the noon position on most pre-amps). I'd do listening tests to see which combination of volume control positions yields the best sound and go with that. Start with each one at the noon position and see if the volume level and sound quality are acceptable. Then work from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.